Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Richard Neal

Does Anyone Charge Their P/F Trolley Off Of The Van Batt?
« on: November 01, 2010, 10:36:01 pm »
I keep forgetting to charge my trolley up and was wondering about making up a lead from my lighter socket and connecting it to my trolley charging lead, has anyone tried this? I know its not a leisure battery in the trolley and dont know if i would damage the dry cell battery by doing this!
Any help appreciated.
Richard
Im not scared of heights, just falling from them.
mrwindowclean@hotmail.co.uk

spongebob

Re: Does Anyone Charge Their P/F Trolley Off Of The Van Batt?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 07:50:39 am »
Hi Richard.
I would think that the charger is designed for 240 volt only. The car battery is only 12v obviously so if it did work with the engine off it would flatten it. Have you seen the 3 pin inverters for the fAg lighter. I have one which the kids use for the laptops and I can use as a backup for the trolley. Only use it when the engines running and you won't have to cut the charger cable about. Think I paid less than £20 from maplins.
Or you could tie a piece of string round your neck and connect to the trolley. that way you won't forget to take the trolley in and charge it.
Andy

Richard Neal

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 09:41:53 pm »
What i meant was not fit the 240V charger just connect the 2 wires coming out of the trolley into may van 12volt system has anyone tried this? can you charge a dry cell Battery this way?
I know i should remember to charge it at night!

spongebob

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 08:09:06 am »
Not sure about that. i would think that the charger that comes with the trolley is an intelligent trickle charger. Putting the charging system of your van straight into it could fry it as the van charges back into its normal battery at up to 14volts.
I don't know enough about batteries to advise further. perhaps someone could.
Andy

Richard Neal

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 10:58:16 pm »
Thanks for that andy, i dont want to mess up a good battery by doing it wrong

Spruce

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 10:52:10 am »
Not sure about that. i would think that the charger that comes with the trolley is an intelligent trickle charger. Putting the charging system of your van straight into it could fry it as the van charges back into its normal battery at up to 14volts.
I don't know enough about batteries to advise further. perhaps someone could.
Andy

It's not the voltage that's the problem (12v), its the amps that a vehicle's alternator charges at that will fry it. You should be able to get a 12v charger which is designed for purpose, as a charger is for a mobile phone etc. Again it will take ages to charge, so probably will not help solve your problem.
Our backpack can take all night to charge when the battery is flat, so this would take as long if charging from the vanthrough a 12v charger.
Spruce
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)