Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

concept

Internal Factory Walls
« on: October 16, 2010, 11:50:41 am »
Recently did an exterior cladding clean for a company, using WFP, they have asked me if I would look at the internal walls which are greasy.

With machinery, electricity, stock etc, WFP and Pressure Washing would be out the window, would Steam Cleaning be an option?

Work needs to be done off a platform/cherry picker, and the walls are the fairly standard corrugated pvc type you find in warehouse units.

Cheers in advance.

martin19842

Re: Internal Factory Walls
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 11:43:16 pm »
hi there

do you know what they are greasy from ?

a hand sprayer with a good degreeaser, followed by a wipe off with a clean cloth in a bucket of water.

we have done several of these, calculate the time it is going to take, add in all access, then build in an element of redundancy and hassle, and you have your price.

alternatively sub it out to someone and make a commission on it

regards

martin

concept

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 09:38:14 am »
Thanks for the reply Martin.

Its a food manufacturing place, so its airborne particles of all sorts of foodstuffs.

When you say a hand sprayer, do you have a link to what you suggest?

The company have told me what they paid previously, and the timescales, and it doesn't seem too unreasonable at all.

Also may need to cover the odd machine etc, any idea where I can get a wide roll of plastic sheeting suitable for this?

There are also some horizontal beams that have built up dust, which we have to be careful not to spill into machines, so need to vaccuum it. Any recommendations on a vac  for this kind of job?

Apologies for all the questions, just want to do it right if I take it on.

martin19842

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 07:40:00 pm »
hi there

you can use the 5l or 10l sprayers available from big sheds, same as the carpet cleaners use,

a high alkaline cleaner on the ph scale, mixed down more than the dilution suggests.

you can get plastic sheeting in 4 metre widths of about 25m rolls, we have used them before to cover done kit, again available online, or from decorators sections.

vac-- potentially a back pack on a cherry picker makes good sense.

regards

martin

Neil kell

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 10:36:40 pm »
The internal walls could all be done telescopically. Iv'e done a few of these. If you have the WFP good man your on the right track. However your brush wont have the agitation required to break down the grime. It will have to be used a rinser in this instance. Your agitation will come from a second telescopic pole, preferably an unger with a fixiclamp, you know the green one's, my foreign nationals call it the 'crocodile'. this will hold two sponges, get your bucket with hot water and a good degreaser, even fairy would do it. Wash the wall down, then chase it with your WFP, while its still wet and the dirt suspended, don't let it dry back in. Get your seld a good wet vac hoover to take up the drink on the ground.
Can you even not find your self the plastic covering? I come over and do it for you o.k - free even  8) , i'll even bring my own elbow grease.
Bundled cleaning solutions

concept

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 08:09:08 am »
To be fair, I hadn't even googled any of these things, as I know I can trust CIU for some good advice  8)

Not keen of WFP indoors with all the electricity, and the walls are about 30' and corrugated. We will have a cherry picker in there anyway, so would rather utilise that whilst we can, and ensure the jobs done well.

Any decent vac recommendations for the steelwork? Nice and dusty, and I have to ensure it doesnt get kicked straight back into the atmosphere like a lot of cheap vacs.

Cheers again fellas!

martin19842

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 08:58:39 pm »
hi there

either use a 110v henry off the power in the cage of the cherry picker or use a back pack vac.  i would personally go for the henry, tie it off in the cage aswell.

i wouldnt go down the route of wfp either,
if the grime is a grease, you really need the alkaline degreaser that is what is is for, i personally use washng up liquid of any nature, as it is a neutral detergent, and wont cut into the dirt.

let the chemical do the work, and make life easier for yourself.

regards

martin

Neil kell

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 12:39:08 pm »
When you say you have a cherry picker, you actually mean an eclectrically powered scissors right? A diesel operated cherry picker wouldn't be allowed with the fumes obviously in doors. Any good hoover with a HEPA filter would do so long as it is 110 will need to specially made up unless you are going pneumatic. Henry hoover converted to 110. Have not seen one in years.
I woldn't take a hoover up there any way. Get 2 buckets, on solution, one for rinse and damp wipe the whole lot down. Spray the area first with your pump sprayer to keep the dust down.
Work from your MEWP with your short pole the way I said before with the unger clamp.
I never said going down the road with WFP. I suggested using WFP to rinse and neutrallise the wall so the grease has nothing to stick to again.
Wet vac hoover man on the ground too to catch the spill.

Neil

martin19842

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 03:05:54 pm »
hi there

neil, weve had cherry pickers, in electric as well as diesel, and the same with scissor lifts, regard to 110v vacs, are still available and have been for a long time.

regards

martin

Phild

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 02:18:05 am »
Never trust a man who calls a vacuum cleaner a Hoover. He might start selling you free flights next ;-)

Phil D

Neil kell

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 12:04:01 pm »
Thats an Irish thing pal. We call cupboards, presses here. And we call you a cheeky monkey, sunny Jim.  :D