Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

dustdees

Employees vs Self employed
« on: September 08, 2005, 05:50:24 pm »
Has anyone got any views on your cleaners emplyment status.

Is it best to have them as employees or self employed.

Basically, does he hassle of paying sick, holiday pay, nic and stuff benefit you than just expect your cleaners to pay there own?

I realise that this can be a grey area, but I'm after other peoples views.

Cheers

Denisexx ;D

Jan K

Re: Employees vs Self employed
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 09:09:58 pm »
Hi Denise!

This has been covered a few times before, I sought advice from a solicitor on this very point. As it stands if you have a person working for your company placed with one of your customers and they work on the same day, for the same hours each time, they are classed as an employee and therefore all tax, NI, insurance etc is your responsibility. As I understand it, you can sub-contract the work out but only if it is on an irregular basis then they would be responsible for all the aforementioned!

Hope that helps!

Jan :)
anyone with facebook can add me at this link ...  jan 'minkeedj' kindon  .... if you can be bothered lol

Simon H

Re: Employees vs Self employed
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 06:35:14 am »
Hi Denise

I agree with Jan the responsibility is on you as an employer/main contractor .
Your cleaners would have to prove that they are carrying out sub contract works for others or you could be liable

It also gets very murky if they are not supplying their own vehicles,equipment and materials.

You can get around this by charging rental for equipment/vehicles and invoicing for materials but it can be a hassle ( who used what etc?)

I also think in the end you have more control over and get better commitment from directly employed staff.

Best regards

Simon

Some days it's just not worth gnawing through the leather straps.