Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Blast Off Stoke

cleaning asbestos roof
« on: May 29, 2010, 09:29:12 pm »
Just been to look at a big job today,it involves cleaning the inside of stables from top to bottom.Its mostly years of cobwebs and dust on the walls and roof,the roof is asbestos sheets .
Do you think they would brush clean with a stiff brush rather than pressure wash which i would rather not do due to the added mess but on the other hand would brushing create asbestos dust ?

martin19842

Re: cleaning asbestos roof
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 10:22:18 pm »
hi there

wouldnt really want to do either, without a survey into the condition of the sheets, as the risk is not worth it.

regards

martin

wezzy32

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 10:28:18 pm »
u need to get it looked at to see what grade it is b4 u start messing with it
keep on smiling

lesterM

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 10:33:35 pm »
HSE as some good info.
No Job Too Odd.
Dont Panic - let us do it for you.
Pure dealers since 1746

DREAM CLEAN

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 07:25:54 pm »
Hi,

The will have to get it graded first, if it is not broken then you might be ok, Use a vac with the correct filter and dust masks

Just ideas to throw in the pot????

Nick

JSMC

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 10:01:09 pm »
do not go near it if you  ar enot trained to work with asbestos. one exposure to this can kil in late rlife. done load son this whe studying NEBOSH.

DEADLY STUFF STAY CLEAR.

a job for the experts i'm afraid

AC Pressure

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 09:18:16 pm »
Would not touch this at all much too risky

Neil Gornall

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 05:17:28 pm »
do not go near it if you  ar enot trained to work with asbestos. one exposure to this can kil in late rlife. done load son this whe studying NEBOSH.

DEADLY STUFF STAY CLEAR.

a job for the experts i'm afraid
I think that is a little alarmist, One exposure to asbestos cement roof sheeting is very unlikely to kill you in later life, asbestos cement  is not considered to be such a risk although great care should always be taken, AIB (asbestos insulation board), flock, pipe lagging and so on are a different story.
I did 10 years in the asbestos removal industry and in my experience I would recommend getting in a licensed contractor to deal with it.
If you are at all unsure what you are dealing with contact any contractor for an analysis, this may be possible by taking a small sample and sending it via post. 
Cleaning of a cement roof will release fibres into the air, even if water is used the runoff will at some point dry and fibres will then become airborne, that is why wet asbestos removal has always been illegal as it’s almost impossible to contain and clean all the water used.