Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

pjulk

Letter for bounced cheque
« on: August 19, 2006, 01:24:06 am »
Does anyone have a standard letter they could send me for customers who have had cheques bounce.

I picked up a new customer and her cheque has bounced and i can't get her in and don't have her phone number.

I did try and write one myself but it's not coming out really how i like and don't want to sound nasty about it.

Paul

Fast 1 *

Re: Letter for bounced cheque
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 01:37:03 am »
Just leave a brief letter saying they need to contact you a s a p regarding the recent cheque payment.If they dont contact you shortly afterwards,then they are probably bad apples.havent encountered that yet.Ps cheers for those jobs paul.much obliged  ;)
wildstyles

pjulk

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 02:05:42 am »
Hi Fast One
Glad you got that job and another from it.
Apparently the lady when she rang me said the other chap just packed up after doing it for 30 years.
Might be a good idea you canvassing that area as they may be plenty more.

This is the first time i have had a bounced cheque.
And its from a new customer.

It was only a matter of time before i got one though i suppose.

Yes i will just ask her to contact me regarding her cheque payment and see what happens.

Paul

squeaky-clean 1

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 07:52:30 am »
hi paul

if you email me i will send you my letter for unpaid chq

belinda@squeaky-clean.biz
Belinda
the real boss.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 08:03:56 am »
Does anyone have a standard letter they could send me for customers who have had cheques bounce.

I picked up a new customer and her cheque has bounced and i can't get her in and don't have her phone number.

I did try and write one myself but it's not coming out really how i like and don't want to sound nasty about it.

Paul

I've had two in 15 years - both for small amounts.  One was made good with cash.  The other (ex)customer decided to hide from me.  I don't have a standard letter but I think that the customer's bank do not say if it has bounced or been stopped by the customer so be aware of this when you word the letter.
Maybe photocopy the letter that her bank sent to you and a brief note asking that she sends a replacement within 7 days.  See what happens from there.  Sometimes these errors are genuine rather than pre-meditated.  After all, who wants a £25 bank charge?  However, if the customer stopped it, they may not have been charged for it.
Keep the returned cheque and letter from the bank.  If the amount is large enough, it would be regarded as excellent evidence in a small claims action.  If it's a small amount and she keeps avoiding you, it may be easier just to write it off.

matt

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006, 08:46:19 am »
this has happened to me a few times

once from some1 up the road from me

first time, cheque bounced
went to see her, she complained that it cost her 25 quid
she paid cash

next time, cheque bounced, now with her words about the 25 quid charges, i put it in 3 times ;) without even going to see her

i never did go back

Roy Harding

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2006, 08:53:51 am »
Also some banks charge you if the cheque bounces, as this happened to me with one bank. She got hit with a £25 fee as well pluss my £6 from my bank and still had to pay for window cleaning.

Roy

pjulk

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2006, 10:28:11 am »
I think that the customer's bank do not say if it has bounced or been stopped by the customer

Your right there paul i just assume that it has bounced as its only for £12.

The banks actual wording is refer to drawer.

Also some banks charge you if the cheque bounces
Thats the first thing i checked luckily the bank said there is no charge for this extra service.

Paul

pjulk

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2006, 10:31:09 am »
Matt said
next time, cheque bounced, now with her words about the 25 quid charges, i put it in 3 times  without even going to see her

It does say on the letter to contact the person who wrote the cheque and it may need to be paid in again.
So im keeping the cheque and if i get no joy i will put it back in.

Paul

matt

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2006, 10:51:06 am »
my bank doesnt charge me for attempting to pay in rubber cheques

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2006, 07:50:52 pm »
Also some banks charge you if the cheque bounces, as this happened to me with one bank. She got hit with a £25 fee as well pluss my £6 from my bank and still had to pay for window cleaning.

Roy

I clean the windows of a bloke whose the manager of quite a nice hotel (I also do the hotel).

Anyway, he paid £50 by cheque (for inside and out of his house) and the cheque bounced.

I didn't want to confront him, so I waited a week and re-presented the cheque (you can do this three times with a bounced cheque); again it bounced.

So I had a polite word with him, though I didn't tell him I'd put the cheque in twice, and he coughed up in cash; he was embarrassed and blamed his wife.

Anyway, this guy paid me £50 in cash and £50 in bank charges.