dazmond

Re: Phantom clamps on an slx pole?
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2018, 06:47:04 pm »
i did have a few clamps come loose on a few gardiner poles but not for over the last 5 years or so now.i think they have improved the gluing process no end.....
price higher/work harder!

P @ F

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2018, 06:49:14 pm »
The penny drops 😁
That’s why Alex’s poles are lighter , he’ s skimping on the glue 🤣🤣
I do think though that it happens if you let the pole slam shut
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

windowswashed

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2018, 08:10:58 pm »
My pole clamps have always worked loose from new, always replaced them with Araldite, problem sorted. Can't beat Araldite Electrical tape is handy to have as spare in a van in case clamp starts slipping.

Michael Peterson

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2018, 06:04:22 am »
Clx , super max , slx and extreme , multiple operators and a bull terrier since the new clamps have come out the only thing than needs gluing is me heed

Spruce

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2018, 07:33:17 am »
Try Squeeky Clean Daves O ring shock absorber idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOhjLYWuJls

watch from 1.45
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Jonny 87

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2018, 07:59:29 am »
Alex I don’t remember ever been sent a link to your specific glue you use and sell back when I last contacted you, although I remember asking .

I could be wrong though.   I appreciate you sending it me now

I think it is a design flaw in your product that you know all about

At the end of the day we are window cleaners, not pole maintenance men, and the poles should be glued correctly from manufacture surely

We have 3 of your poles and all three have had clamps fail. Two 18ft slx and a 50 ft super max

Im gonna give the phantom clamps a whirl, see if they are any good or not, and then if they are rubbish, buy that special glue of yours

I personally don’t believe that glue will hold indefinitely, although it may well be better than the 2 different brands we have tried, so I appreciate it you are trying to sort it out.   

Like I say, I like your poles and have no problem with your company, I just think that the guy at exceed is a little bit of an innovator that is much needed in our industry

I take it you haven’t heard the problems that phantom poles have been having with clamps coming loose? The new poles have also only been out for 10 months or so.

Feel free to try one. I’m sure you will soon find out that Gardiners poles are still superior and soon change back. There’s a reason why Gardiners have the Patent for the smart clamps. There the best, and hardest wearing poles out there in my opinion.

I’ve been exclusively using Gardiner for about 7 years now. Clx poles, slx and extremes. In that time I’ve had one clamp come loose, working full time hours.

Like a few have said above I think you must be heavy handed in operation. If that’s the case then using other companies clamps will only highlight that even more.

Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

Stoots

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2018, 02:10:28 pm »
My slx started spinning after a couple of years ... But I just taped them up.

I tried a facelift pole and it did the same..... conclusion glued on clamps will spin eventually.

Either re glue or take them or try the phantom ones.

Walter Mitty

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2018, 10:31:08 am »
I've had the odd clamp come unglued.  It doesn't happen often though.

The best rtemedy was one I picked up on here:  Rub/sand the hard glue marks off and clean up the pole end.  Wind electrical tape twice around the end.  Loosen the clamp as much as possible and place it over the taped end.  Tighten clamp.

Works a charm.

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2018, 04:15:59 pm »
The poles are 3 years old and have had a lot of use.

I like the gardiner poles but we have no end of grief with the clamps and needing to re glue them

I’m not looking to replace the poles themselves, just the clamps

As I understand it, the phantom clamps are patented and I think possibly designed by the guy from exceed who makes the univalve and slick connectors, which I think are absolutely superb.

For 40 quid for a pack of 4 clamps, it seems worth the gamble , especially as the glue to glue the gardiner clamps costs about 20 quid
its simple stop banging the pole shut when closeing down then this problem will go away

KS Cleaning

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2018, 05:36:20 pm »
Are you guys maybe letting your poles smash down on the clamps when lowering them?
Yep, that’s what it sounds like to me.

rosskesava

« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2018, 01:37:00 am »
Over 6 years with the same SLX 30. Never done maintenance, taping or cleaning or anything. I've done the odd adjustment of the clamps from time to time though. I didn't even know you could re glue clamps.

I think the original op's problem is down to very heavy handed use and possibly employees who don't give a f.... about how they use equipment.
Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.