Paul Simpson

Bounced Cheques
« on: November 26, 2008, 03:31:03 pm »
Done a carpet clean a few weeks ago and received the cheque back through the post at the weekend saying "refer to drawer".
Have tried contacting them everyday this week 3-4 times a day at different times with no success. Don't think they are away as he told me that they just came back from holiday while I was there.
Only had one bounce on me before that was a genuine mistake (wrong account), very apologetic and sorted it straight away.
But I'm beginning to wonder if these are just avoiding my call? Although they seemed genuine enough.
How long should I give before I call around to their property as its not too far?

Cheers
Paul

Re: Bounced Cheques
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 03:32:57 pm »
id go straight round with a bucket of dirty water, give thier dirt back to them

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 03:40:39 pm »
Have you been charged too, by your bank?

I agree with Russell, I bet they soon answer the door when you're funnelling 10 litres of mucky water through their letter box.... 

A bloke was on the national news this year who'd built a porch, the people wouldn't pay up so he went round and demolished it.... Quite right too!

Col!

derek west

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 03:41:13 pm »
straight round, no fu**ing about.
derek

Bill Robinson

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 04:27:57 pm »
just twice i have not been payed its not nice but just walk away unless its into the thousands then sort it the legal way. i feel a much better person by letting it go, i dont feel a mug at all , just think of all the good customers you have had.

Bill

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 04:33:52 pm »
i certainly wouldnt walk away, remember its your business and you did the work, at least pay them a visit

derek west

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 04:39:41 pm »
anyone got bills number, i need my carpets cleaning, cheque all right bill?
 ;)derek

Paul Simpson

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 04:58:52 pm »
 :o Certainly won't be walking away.
Think I'll pay them a visit tomorrow. Its not a huge amount but its the principle of it.

nevil

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 05:01:59 pm »
http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/infoabout/claims/index.htm

You could try this. I have done it twice now. They couldn't pay me quick enough when they got the paperwork through.

Steve Chapman

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 05:13:09 pm »
The proper way to do it is, send them the cheque and a new invoice for the work plus the bank charges and give them a chance to pay or explain before getting too heavy handed, some people have genuine reasons or having genuine difficulties, in any case it would be wise to do it in a professional manner and have the correct paper work before persuing it legally.

regards
steve

nevil

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 05:17:14 pm »
The proper way to do it is, send them the cheque and a new invoice for the work plus the bank charges and give them a chance to pay or explain before getting too heavy handed, some people have genuine reasons or having genuine difficulties, in any case it would be wise to do it in a professional manner and have the correct paper work before persuing it legally.

regards
steve

Agree with that.

Makes a good last reort though. One of these was an estate agent who I had allowed a full nine months while sending numerous letters.

ollie

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008, 05:32:00 pm »
I used to go fishing at a place called Tanyard fisheries in sussex. They had all their bounced cheques turned into table mats in the cafe, by one of these companies that put pictures on things for you, so every time you ate a meal you could see a different cheque bouncer!
I would go round straight away though and if I didnt get my money I would pour my water back through the letterbox too, it would eat me up forever if I let them get away with it.
ollie

clinton

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008, 05:39:39 pm »
Steve was just going to ask were you were ???

It does eat away at you :(

Prob nowadays i would go and get it sorted someway or the other its just taking the  :o

How far do they live from you ???

Paul Simpson

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2008, 06:08:05 pm »
They are only 5-6 miles from me.
When I said I would go around there I didn't mean in a heavy handed manner, demanding my money. Just see if they answer the door and explain I've been trying to ring.

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2008, 06:33:40 pm »
Paul

I couldn't agree more with you.

Far, far better to be polite to start with and assume there has been a genuine mistake. Most people in those circumstances are so embarrassed that they fall over themselves to recompense you; especially if you are nice to them.

You can always ramp it up later if necessary. But you can never tone it down from being "in your face" to pleasant.

Roger
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

PaulKing

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2008, 06:48:49 pm »
Small claims via the courts is the best way,pouring water through letterboxes will only get you charged with damage, and your name in paper such as.
CLEANER TAKES IT TO FAR
mr smith tried of customer bouncing cheques took mater into his own hands and ruined a priceless persian belgian wilton worth £20,000 ect yawn

Write to them asking for payment happens to us two or three times a year usually they are very sorry and we get a new cheque the next day, or they drop in cash.

if they dont reply write again teling them you will pursure it through the small claim procedure of the courts,someone already posted the link, and add addional cost (I think its £70)  to the total.

Then in 14 days make sure you issue and wait, surprising how quick they are when they know you mean business.

www.revitaclean.com  established 1968 in Newcastle Upon Tyne

shaun lord

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2008, 07:19:01 pm »
Paul,
this should make you feel better.
Cleaned for a lady about 18 month ago on a sunday morning so had to miss my sons football but hey its money in my pocket. Cleaned carpets all way through 3 bed semi then was ask to clean leather suit and dining chairs, 5 hours later packed up and gave her bill for £260, she told me that her sister was calling round later as she owed her some money so could i call back in about 2 hours and  because i did such a good job that she would round it off to £300  :-\ . When i called back she stuck her head out the top window and told me she had no money and offered to pay me £5 a week. slightly lost it, husband came to door and told me if i didnt leave he would cut my throat.

Turned up at 3rd job yesterday, leather suit, yellow pages, new customer, took me 2 hours to get there as stuck on m1, knocked on door lady with a familiar face answered went through the usual and start to clean.
Lady came in to say my sister is popping round later but if she isnt here by the time you finish could you call back.
you can imagine the rest.

What do you do in this situation, they have your contact number and address and you no what there capable of.

Shaun

danny taylor

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2008, 07:38:06 pm »
That is a typical gypsy trick. If I was you I would visit them with as many mates as possible and do what you have to do to get your payment. They want to intimidate you and hope you leave it.dont!!

Fintan_Coll

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2008, 07:57:43 pm »
Am I right here?
 uttering a false cheque is a criminal offence, so you should get on to the Police.

elliott cleaning

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2008, 08:26:47 pm »
Go to some countries on the continent & issue a cheque that bounces & you end up in prison.  Here I don't believe it is the same

oliver collins

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2008, 08:30:27 pm »
HI to Elliott cleaning
Are you part of the Elliott family clan from Newcastle
Regards Oliver Collins

elliott cleaning

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2008, 08:32:50 pm »
Hi to Oliver Collins

No, way down south I'm afraid

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2008, 06:28:57 pm »
That is a typical gypsy trick. If I was you I would visit them with as many mates as possible and do what you have to do to get your payment. They want to intimidate you and hope you leave it.dont!!

get real i would love to see anyone of you guys come round my house giveing it large because the frist thiing you would get is two barrles stuck under you chin !

the only way to get this sorted is the way paul king as said

it wont cost a penny even if you dont get the money as long as you have done the legal paper work its 100% tax deductable  remeber some you win some you lose if you cant take the good with the bad best get out of being self employed

james roffey

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2008, 06:49:12 pm »
I have been in debt recovery for over 25 years, just getting into carpet cleaning."dont ask" DO NOT go to court it will cost you more money, you have not even managed to contact them yet they may have a genuine reason why you have not been able to get hold of them, do not get heavy handed you must be on the right side of the law especially if you do end up in court how will you appear if you have poured water through his letter box. thats criminal damage, by all means go and visit them speak to them, then write a nice letter asking for payment explaining that the cheque they gave you bounced, then if that fails write again saying you will go to Court to recover this debt if they dont pay within 14 days, whatever you do DONT go to a solicitor all they are interested in will be charging YOU money some debt recovery agents offer no recovery no fee so they will want to get your money overwise they wont make a penny, but probably wont want to recover such a small debt, i know it is frustrating but keep cool even if you cant get you money thats the time to get "inventive" but not yet , good luck

PaulKing

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2008, 07:09:42 pm »
just been a bit about small claims on the one show, and I just got a cheque today for £1470 fro the courts, the property developer cusomer who could'nt pay me as he was nearly bankrupt is apperently not as bankrupt as he was 4 weeks ago.

Small claims I love it
www.revitaclean.com  established 1968 in Newcastle Upon Tyne

terrymaloy

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2008, 10:27:22 pm »
When being paid by cheque, always ask for the cheque guarantee card number and write it on the back of the cheque.
This will at least cover payment up to £100 whether they have the funds in or not.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong ?

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2008, 11:02:42 pm »
I think you're right, most of my customers actually ask if I would like them to provide their card but I rarely take it! Maybe I should!

I'm actually still owed a cheque by a rugby club for £450 for work carried on 5th november.... The excuses they use are pathetic.... Little do they know that I have a friend who was a debt collector so he is writing me the correct type of letter which actually demands 8% interest after 30 days. 

Thing is I under estimated the job and they got a bargain (Admittedly, I was one busy fool that day!) Talk about rubbing salt into wounds...

Never again though! I learnt my lesson that day!

clinton

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2008, 07:26:38 am »
Same as you colin i never take there card number and write it on the back ::)

Maybe i might on new clients ???

derek west

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2008, 08:13:12 am »
ive never taken card numbers, think i'll get a inkling when i have too.
derek

Ricky M

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2008, 08:36:40 am »
Did some work in oct for the daughter of a reg ( very wealthy home builders )
the cheque she give bounced ( my 1st ) I rung her to make her aware of this and she was shocked ,
she posted the cash . turns out she has been naughty and daddy has stopped her monthly allowance . all new clients I now take that extra ink on the back and if its a larger amount I ask for 2 cheques if they seem like one of those types

Ricky
www.ability1975.co.uk
                          www.carpetcleaninguttoxeter.co.uk  
              NCCA !? but why have non of my clients herd of them ??

« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2008, 02:29:44 pm »
I think you're right, most of my customers actually ask if I would like them to provide their card but I rarely take it! Maybe I should!

I'm actually still owed a cheque by a rugby club for £450 for work carried on 5th november.... The excuses they use are pathetic.... Little do they know that I have a friend who was a debt collector so he is writing me the correct type of letter which actually demands 8% interest after 30 days. 

Thing is I under estimated the job and they got a bargain (Admittedly, I was one busy fool that day!) Talk about rubbing salt into wounds...

Never again though! I learnt my lesson that day!

Well would you believe it? The cheque turned up today! Hope I don't need to serve it with a tennis racquet...

mark dew

« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2008, 01:35:04 am »
I prefer not to go round chasing payments, but it is sociable at least.
Whenever i have query i always ask their name. If i'm stiffed by them, i think it is better to go the moneyclaim route.
Water through letterboxes, going round with mates is good if you want to kill a business.
I would write a letter after 30 days. Wait 2 weeks. If no reply, send another letter giving them 7 days to pay, or a claim will be made. Outline the costs of avoiding paying and that if haven't received payment before the 7th day, will register the claim immediately.

A bounced cheque would cost them money as it is. Probably a mistake and they are too embarassed to answer the phone.

If phoning withold your number or call from a phone box. as they might have caller display.

If you do go down the claim route, don't forget to add on the costs of fuel and phone calls etc that you have incurred in trying to settle this.

DavidWright76

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2008, 07:36:47 am »
I would be very tempted to do a Russell James & literally send them junk mail but all it would do is create enemies & the excuse for a gutted van if they decide to fight back.

Ryan Smyth

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2008, 08:33:55 am »
I just recieved a cheque back "refer to drawer" have tried contacting the woman,not answering the phone or responding to messages.The worst of it is i dont know her address as the house i done for her was one she owned and rented out.The amount involved isnt a large one but its the principle of the thing,if its a genuine mistake that would be ok but completely ignoring me after driving 10 mile to price the job,then back again to do the job,the time,fuel,materials used....thats what really p**ssed me off in my view its theft.Rant over >:(
Ryan

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2008, 09:50:43 am »
i had a similar problem last year with a rented property, now i always get the address of the landlord or the new address of the tennents

mark dew

« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2008, 09:54:12 am »
have a look at www.192.com if you have a name and general area.

clinton

« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2008, 06:46:26 pm »
Ryan

its as you said the principle of it and the trouble is sometimes it starts to eat away at you and i have been in the same position as you ::)

Paul Simpson

« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2008, 11:14:37 am »
Just an update, finally managed to get hold of them beginning of this week (Monday), claimed they hadn't been away and not sure why I had not caught them in at some point (still only tried ringing daily upto now).
She explained cheque was done from wrong account (heard that one somewhere before  ::)) and she would do a new one straight away and get it sent off or offered payment over the phone, but she already knew I couldn't do that as I told her hubby we don't have the facilities.
Friday today, still no cheque  >:(.
Got her work number last conversation so rung today and was again polite although they are testing my patience now. Claimed she is waiting for a new cheque book, should have arrived few days ago, if it doesn't arrive today she will go to the bank and organise an over the counter cheque and definately send today, I'm not holding my breath.

paul wright

« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2008, 11:35:03 am »
she dont need a chq book to get u cash out hole in the wall, i would offer to meet her outside a cash machine for me money,

« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2008, 01:39:47 pm »
I wouldnt even accept another cheque if ones bounced, cash only!!!

clinton

« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2008, 08:00:08 pm »
Dont think she is being on the level with you mate at the mo.