Paul Simpson

Bounced Cheques
« on: November 26, 2008, 03:31:03 pm »
Done a carpet clean a few weeks ago and received the cheque back through the post at the weekend saying "refer to drawer".
Have tried contacting them everyday this week 3-4 times a day at different times with no success. Don't think they are away as he told me that they just came back from holiday while I was there.
Only had one bounce on me before that was a genuine mistake (wrong account), very apologetic and sorted it straight away.
But I'm beginning to wonder if these are just avoiding my call? Although they seemed genuine enough.
How long should I give before I call around to their property as its not too far?

Cheers
Paul

Re: Bounced Cheques
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 03:32:57 pm »
id go straight round with a bucket of dirty water, give thier dirt back to them

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 03:40:39 pm »
Have you been charged too, by your bank?

I agree with Russell, I bet they soon answer the door when you're funnelling 10 litres of mucky water through their letter box.... 

A bloke was on the national news this year who'd built a porch, the people wouldn't pay up so he went round and demolished it.... Quite right too!

Col!

derek west

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 03:41:13 pm »
straight round, no fu**ing about.
derek

Bill Robinson

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 04:27:57 pm »
just twice i have not been payed its not nice but just walk away unless its into the thousands then sort it the legal way. i feel a much better person by letting it go, i dont feel a mug at all , just think of all the good customers you have had.

Bill

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 04:33:52 pm »
i certainly wouldnt walk away, remember its your business and you did the work, at least pay them a visit

derek west

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 04:39:41 pm »
anyone got bills number, i need my carpets cleaning, cheque all right bill?
 ;)derek

Paul Simpson

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 04:58:52 pm »
 :o Certainly won't be walking away.
Think I'll pay them a visit tomorrow. Its not a huge amount but its the principle of it.

nevil

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 05:01:59 pm »
http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/infoabout/claims/index.htm

You could try this. I have done it twice now. They couldn't pay me quick enough when they got the paperwork through.

Steve Chapman

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 05:13:09 pm »
The proper way to do it is, send them the cheque and a new invoice for the work plus the bank charges and give them a chance to pay or explain before getting too heavy handed, some people have genuine reasons or having genuine difficulties, in any case it would be wise to do it in a professional manner and have the correct paper work before persuing it legally.

regards
steve

nevil

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 05:17:14 pm »
The proper way to do it is, send them the cheque and a new invoice for the work plus the bank charges and give them a chance to pay or explain before getting too heavy handed, some people have genuine reasons or having genuine difficulties, in any case it would be wise to do it in a professional manner and have the correct paper work before persuing it legally.

regards
steve

Agree with that.

Makes a good last reort though. One of these was an estate agent who I had allowed a full nine months while sending numerous letters.

ollie

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008, 05:32:00 pm »
I used to go fishing at a place called Tanyard fisheries in sussex. They had all their bounced cheques turned into table mats in the cafe, by one of these companies that put pictures on things for you, so every time you ate a meal you could see a different cheque bouncer!
I would go round straight away though and if I didnt get my money I would pour my water back through the letterbox too, it would eat me up forever if I let them get away with it.
ollie

clinton

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008, 05:39:39 pm »
Steve was just going to ask were you were ???

It does eat away at you :(

Prob nowadays i would go and get it sorted someway or the other its just taking the  :o

How far do they live from you ???

Paul Simpson

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2008, 06:08:05 pm »
They are only 5-6 miles from me.
When I said I would go around there I didn't mean in a heavy handed manner, demanding my money. Just see if they answer the door and explain I've been trying to ring.

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2008, 06:33:40 pm »
Paul

I couldn't agree more with you.

Far, far better to be polite to start with and assume there has been a genuine mistake. Most people in those circumstances are so embarrassed that they fall over themselves to recompense you; especially if you are nice to them.

You can always ramp it up later if necessary. But you can never tone it down from being "in your face" to pleasant.

Roger
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

PaulKing

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2008, 06:48:49 pm »
Small claims via the courts is the best way,pouring water through letterboxes will only get you charged with damage, and your name in paper such as.
CLEANER TAKES IT TO FAR
mr smith tried of customer bouncing cheques took mater into his own hands and ruined a priceless persian belgian wilton worth £20,000 ect yawn

Write to them asking for payment happens to us two or three times a year usually they are very sorry and we get a new cheque the next day, or they drop in cash.

if they dont reply write again teling them you will pursure it through the small claim procedure of the courts,someone already posted the link, and add addional cost (I think its £70)  to the total.

Then in 14 days make sure you issue and wait, surprising how quick they are when they know you mean business.

www.revitaclean.com  established 1968 in Newcastle Upon Tyne

shaun lord

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2008, 07:19:01 pm »
Paul,
this should make you feel better.
Cleaned for a lady about 18 month ago on a sunday morning so had to miss my sons football but hey its money in my pocket. Cleaned carpets all way through 3 bed semi then was ask to clean leather suit and dining chairs, 5 hours later packed up and gave her bill for £260, she told me that her sister was calling round later as she owed her some money so could i call back in about 2 hours and  because i did such a good job that she would round it off to £300  :-\ . When i called back she stuck her head out the top window and told me she had no money and offered to pay me £5 a week. slightly lost it, husband came to door and told me if i didnt leave he would cut my throat.

Turned up at 3rd job yesterday, leather suit, yellow pages, new customer, took me 2 hours to get there as stuck on m1, knocked on door lady with a familiar face answered went through the usual and start to clean.
Lady came in to say my sister is popping round later but if she isnt here by the time you finish could you call back.
you can imagine the rest.

What do you do in this situation, they have your contact number and address and you no what there capable of.

Shaun

danny taylor

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2008, 07:38:06 pm »
That is a typical gypsy trick. If I was you I would visit them with as many mates as possible and do what you have to do to get your payment. They want to intimidate you and hope you leave it.dont!!

Fintan_Coll

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2008, 07:57:43 pm »
Am I right here?
 uttering a false cheque is a criminal offence, so you should get on to the Police.

elliott cleaning

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2008, 08:26:47 pm »
Go to some countries on the continent & issue a cheque that bounces & you end up in prison.  Here I don't believe it is the same