Simon Gerrard

Re: Ahh too bl~+dy cheap
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2008, 05:30:18 pm »
Colin,
It will be interesting to see you you continue to take such a cavalier approach to business when this recession really starts to bite and you have your mortgage and other bills and payments to meet with little or no work coming. Being skint tends to humble even the mightiest.

Simon

Steve Chapman

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2008, 05:53:04 pm »
i think what you have to remember is that end of tenancy cleaning is not the same as normal carpet cleaning, most are having it done because they have to, and want their deposit back and obviously want to pay as little as possible, they are not going to get the benefit, so you have to charge what they are happy to pay, to a point, if not then its best you dont do this type of work.

we've done it for years and can be a real pain, but also can be bread and butter work.

One tactic we use is to tell the customer that we know the agent well and know what they will be happy with, and are happy to speak to them on their behalf, this way even if we are a bit more expensive than someone else, they have the reassurance that they wont get any comebacks and will get their deposit back, (we've often been into a property for an agent where the carpets have supposedly been cleaned, and then the client has had to pay twice )

Its just remembering what the customer is actually interested in and focusing on that in the conversation.

regards
steve

M.Acorn

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2008, 07:01:07 pm »
Yup i come highly recomended by the letting agy i work for ,so i have my foot in the door as such ,as they pass on my no to the letters  :) /And yes they do keep me busy over the quiet part of the year,so musn`t grumble ( in a mark and lard stylee )
What goes around comes around

Gerry Styles

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2008, 08:56:46 pm »
Did a 3 pce today for £145. Lady had 2 other qoutes for £40 & £65. Cheap not always best. Qouted for a pub 106m2 @ £1.75 - way guy went on you would think I tried to mug him.
Premier Klean Limited

Barry Livingstone

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2008, 09:08:36 pm »
www.mobileclean.biz/

this is one of many near me ..........and you think your cheap........am sick off them
Carpet, Upholstery cleaning & hard floor cleaning.
                     Fife, perth and tayside.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2008, 09:16:06 pm »
I'd use them, good website and they say the right things.

can see why you don't like them
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

davep

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2008, 09:19:01 pm »
3 piece FROM £30..  that says someting, they must be good '1986 Award Winning Business '  ;D

Barry Livingstone

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2008, 09:20:47 pm »
thats there VAN/CAR.......get there machine out the back of it ....lol.....and am no kiddin.......i wish she would just put her prices up a wee bit .....munters....
Carpet, Upholstery cleaning & hard floor cleaning.
                     Fife, perth and tayside.

AJB

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2008, 12:26:27 am »
Must be a very small machine, and how come thy've been established
20 years , but won an award 22 years ago.
www.ajbcarpetcleaning.co.uk
At the end of the day a Satisfied Customer is all that counts, They'll come back and so will their friends!!!

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2008, 01:10:12 am »
thats there VAN/CAR.......get there machine out the back of it ....lol.....and am no kiddin.......i wish she would just put her prices up a wee bit .....munters....

thats buisness if it to hot in the fire best get out  ;D

John Kelly

« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2008, 07:38:56 am »
I know its hard but you have to switch off from this competition. By pitching yourself above their level of service it is possible to achieve higher prices and a better class of customer.
This means every aspect of your business from your vehicle to your stationary. Take the vehicle, a smart well designed sign writen van will outshine a family car any day of the week no matter how much writing there is on it. Make your leaflets and brochures ooze class. Keep your equipment tip top and also your appearance.
Take a leaf out of the franchises book. Servicemaster and Chem-Dry command high prices for their services and are always busy, not just with insurance work, they are pushing more and more for carpet and upholstery cleaning as their insurance work tails off slightly.
Cheap operators have always been around and always will but don't try and compete.

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2008, 07:43:13 am »
I know its hard but you have to switch off from this competition. By pitching yourself above their level of service it is possible to achieve higher prices and a better class of customer.
This means every aspect of your business from your vehicle to your stationary. Take the vehicle, a smart well designed sign writen van will outshine a family car any day of the week no matter how much writing there is on it. Make your leaflets and brochures ooze class. Keep your equipment tip top and also your appearance.
Take a leaf out of the franchises book. Servicemaster and Chem-Dry command high prices for their services and are always busy, not just with insurance work, they are pushing more and more for carpet and upholstery cleaning as their insurance work tails off slightly.
Cheap operators have always been around and always will but don't try and compete.

yep your bang on the money  ;D

Doug Holloway

« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2008, 07:44:33 am »
Hi Guys

Spot on John and remember all customers are not the same , lots will pay decent money for a decent job.

I did three yesterday, all 80 - 90 Pounds per hour using a portable and not rushing around.

All were very pleased.

Cheers

Doug

M.Acorn

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2008, 10:12:20 am »
Yep . Gotta quote on 4 bedroom and 2 sets of stairs today said ball park price over phone last night £250 + she thought that was very reasonable  :) funny old game

« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2008, 10:58:57 am »
So would the other one if they hadn't spoken to the cheapo CC. Best seal the deal before she rings him up.

Just done a 4x6 polyprop rug. Charged £45, seen them new for £60ish. Funny old world.

M.Acorn

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2008, 12:08:13 pm »
Well the saga continues ! was booked in today to clean Pedros house,the one he is moving out of,bearing in mind they don`t have any furniture,only air beds no sofas etc and no carpets down stairs.Got to the job at 11am as arranged knocked on the door ,his wife answered and said wait a second then shut the door.
TEN minuites later he comes to the door and says sorry i am going to have to wait 2 to 3 hours before i can clean !  :o
Said sorry mate got another job to get to ,one that is paying me decent money ! and left him to it ! He had already turned away the plumber this morning for the 4th time this week even though he was booked,called agy said i am going to be charging him for wasting my time,going to do it tomorrow arvo when he has gone !
I want to break his legs  :-[

kinder clean

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2008, 12:27:30 pm »

Mark

As I'm hardly snowed under at the moment, if you provide me with an overnight stay I would do that job for £50 each leg. 

I have a minimum call out charge of £55.00 - for that I will break one leg and stamp on his toes.  ;)

Paul

M.Acorn

« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2008, 12:38:01 pm »
Ha ha will bear that in mind ,my other friend has gone back inside for a stretch  :)

Joe H

« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2008, 01:08:32 pm »
What! Hes stretching legs now not breaking them.

Back to the old days of torture eh! - on the rack with em!

M.Acorn

« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2008, 05:14:12 pm »
And there`s more !
Went and quoted for the other job i was called about today ,no problems happy with price very nice eastern european lady  :),didn`t batter an eyelid at my price,job booked in for 2 weeks time possibly a large corner suede effect sofa too !
Called the letting agy and said right i am going to go and see if i can do the one he is moving from ,got to the house nobody home,so drove around corner to the new place to see if he was there.Noone there either,but the big bunch off all the house keys was in the lock so i left them,went back to the other house and waited for him......he turned up with his family so i gave them 10 mins to get in,rang the bell knocked on the door stood waiting for 10 mins nothing went back to van called agy then he came out and said 1 more hour,so i said it`s either now or not at all and left.
Just got call from agy saying he is supposed to be handing keys back this eve.Turns out they have also had enough and have told him he won`t be getting the other house and they are giving him 2 months notice,so he will be paying for carpet cleaning for a house he is not going to be moving too + i quoted for cash so will be + 22% + travel and wasted time out of his deposit when he goes.Plumber had turned up from Bury st eds so he had a much further journey !
I need a stiff drink after today what a mare glad it`s all over now .Live and learn i knew my funny feeling i had about him was right