carpetworx

PROWLER NOT GOOD!
« on: June 21, 2008, 09:33:10 am »
Flew over to Melbourne, to check one out,and to be honest,i would'nt even rate it.
The heat was good,but the suction was poor,and then,when i used it with a tile spinner,the water flow just stopped,and would'nt work again,and the noise, well.
the sales guy did'nt know what to say or do,so i took it as an omen,and moved on,have now narrowed it down to a 318 or a spitfire.
Was disapointed tho as i've heard so many good things on here about it :o

magic_carpet

Re: PROWLER NOT GOOD!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 09:44:49 am »
the 318 has replaced the spitefire 3.2....over here anyway
and it,s a great looking and performing piece of kit.

carpetworx

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 10:24:42 am »
He had 3 there, all did the same.
magic,have you got a 318?

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 11:01:34 am »
Problem sounds like the sales person, not the machines  :o

Seen the 13hp and the new 15hp Prowlers demonstrated to full and impressive effect. Any questions were answered concisely and without head scratching or ums & arrs  ::)

John Kelly knows the machine 'intimately' (no legal ramifications please !!) .......... only buy a product from someone familiar with all it can and cannot do  ;D

Mike Halliday

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 12:21:20 pm »
 I wouldn't buy any machine were I had to fly to the supplier! but  I suppose the UK is a little bit smaller than Australia.

when you say the suction  was poor, what are you comparing it to? and the water flow stopping sound like a technical hitch that could be rectified

don't bite your nose off to spite your face, I'd give it another chance :)

mike
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

John Kelly

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 12:24:49 pm »
Strange.

Aquakleen Restoration Services

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 12:27:57 pm »
Hi John
I thought youd be out fishing today for clabydoos? Upon saying that I was wondering how long it would be before you commented on this post!!
John

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 01:12:41 pm »
I think its good, getting used to it and how to use it will take a little time.

It is loud in my opinion but I dont know how loud other truckmounts are to compare the volume to?

John

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2008, 01:56:06 pm »
Im finding the hose management a little tricky because of the difference in size from porty to t/m. They are tangling quite a bit but thats something I can work at and get used to.

But its the noise really that makes me sweat! Has anyone had any trouble from neighbors etc...complaining about the noise?

John

john rees

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2008, 02:39:11 pm »
Hi John,
           In  the 8 years I've used T/M I've had one miserable git complain! when you see a neighbour marching over to you from the other side of the road don't panic...............It's probably to ask "do you have a card?" or "will you come and give me a price on cleaning my lounge". ;D

All the best
                                                  John
john

John Gregory

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2008, 03:03:14 pm »
I agree   with  John  a truckmount is the best bit of marketing I have ever done , took a phone call this morning the customer asked was I the bloke with the big hose ,

John

*paul_moss

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2008, 03:19:02 pm »
No John thats not you  ;D
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

spencer davies

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2008, 03:45:18 pm »
I was working in Hove on Friday using our Hydramaster, I was approached by six people for cards, Saturday afternoon three calls and three jobs booked in, enough said  :)

S

John Gregory

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2008, 04:38:17 pm »
Paul    .     ask your Missie's

John

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2008, 04:39:25 pm »
I know this sounds negative, but I would probably get six people coming over to tell me to turn it off. ::)

spencer davies

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2008, 05:01:39 pm »
Miserable people  :-\

S

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2008, 05:11:38 pm »
Spencer do you quote over the phone?

Shaun

Ian Rochester

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2008, 05:12:35 pm »
Never had any complaints about the noise from the Prowler, if anything it attracts people to have a look, most have never seen a TM machine before, we get quite a few requests for cards and I have often done work which came from people seeing us at work.

I think the original line saying PROWLER NOT GOOD is a bit misleading considering he only saw it in action for a short while, PROWLER SALESMAN NOT GOOD may have been a better lead to a thread.

I'm more than happy with mine and anyone is welcome to come and see it/me or any of my staff at work with it anytime.

I'm taking it out of the van tomorrow morning (2 minute job) so that I can get 11 bikes across to Keswick for a week long bike hire.  How many other TM users have that versatility with their vehicle?

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2008, 05:16:03 pm »
Well, we have our own micro climate down here. ;D

Had a woman come out, said my van was blocking the light from her front window and I had to move it.

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2008, 05:20:36 pm »
Lionheart

Is it a one man job to put it back with a ramp?

Andrew Briscoe

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2008, 05:38:28 pm »
Lionheart, looking out of my window, i would load van with canoes, not bikes.
Anymore rain and it will be like waterworld here.

However, rain makes feet and carpets dirtier  ;)
Andrew.

Ian Rochester

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2008, 05:41:31 pm »
Mike,

Yes, I just need a bit of a run up to get me going then it's straight up and in.  Pneumatic tyres make getting it in and out easy, just disconnect the water feed and the chemical feed, turn it through 90 degrees and run it down ramps at the rear of the van.

Andrew,

That's why the lake district has so many lakes, but at £12.00 per day for 7 days they'll hopefully get at least a few dry days!

Andrew Briscoe

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2008, 05:50:32 pm »
Good earner lionheart
Andrew

spencer davies

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2008, 05:53:12 pm »
Hello Shaun,

I try not to, but sometimes I can tell that a customer wants a price guide, I often will get the job over the phone though, I had a woman from Brighton call on Friday, 'how much for a small landing and stairs?'
I explained the job would fall into our minimum price charge of £60, 'what? I was expecting you to say twenty quid'  I explained that if she looked around, she could find someone to do it at that price, but it wouldn't be me.

After me trying to back out of the conversation,she said she wanted us to do the job and agreed the price.

Regards

S

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2008, 06:26:50 pm »
It can be hard trying to filter the good ones from the not so, I'm at that half way stage where I should go out to quote every job but either can't or can't be bothered as I am always full with work although I am finding that while other cleaners in my area are getting quieter their prices are falling so mine do sound hefty and have lost a few more than average, perhaps it's time to go out and quote and put my prices up to accomodate!!

Shaun

Fred Gullan

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2008, 07:18:20 pm »
Used  a Prowler this morning in a quiet culdesac . No complaints about noise, heat excellent , suction excellent.  Oatmeal Wool carpets pre -sprayed ,agitated, rinsed . Landing ,stairs, dining room hall , livingroom. One hour 15 mins (with help from son). Carpets almost dry before leaving. Customer delighted, me --chuffed with prowler for first year of ownership and after-sales from JK ,excellent.

Fred

stevegunn

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2008, 07:38:02 pm »
Lets put this in prospective the prowler is an excellent machine,yes not as powerful as some t/m's but then it is half the cost and better than an electric portable.

PaulKing

« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2008, 11:28:05 am »
I think its good, getting used to it and how to use it will take a little time.

It is loud in my opinion but I dont know how loud other truckmounts are to compare the volume to?

John

The one you have may have different silencers on to the others do they say magnaflow on them?

one of the things that was changed to get CE marking, your right they are noisy but there is a conversion kit john can get for you. that will quite it right down.

Its not the engine that makes the noise but the blower.

www.revitaclean.com  established 1968 in Newcastle Upon Tyne

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2008, 12:44:05 pm »
Hmmmm interesting stuff there Paul thanks for that! Ill have a word with John tomorrow or if you read this can you sort me one out John? How much are they?

PaulKing

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2008, 03:50:25 pm »
not sure exactly how much but you need need new hoses and new brackets as well fitted to stop the reverb your getting. take at look at the ones at Restormate to see the difference, bit pricey but will get you up to spec and really quiten it down.
www.revitaclean.com  established 1968 in Newcastle Upon Tyne

Tony Gill Carpet Smart

« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2008, 08:40:35 am »
Paul hows the PROWLER rebuild going.

CHEERS TONY
STAY YOUNG HAVE FUN BE HAPPY xx
www.carpetcleanersbridlington.co.uk

John Kelly

« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2008, 06:54:07 pm »
John, I'd prefer it if you used email or a phone call. Just pee's people off using the forum for messages. Especially one tagged on to the end of a crap Prowler posting.

« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2008, 08:13:18 pm »
sorry

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2008, 08:36:48 pm »
What ever happened to 'tipster tony' has he become rich from his winnings?

Shaun

carpetworx

« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2008, 09:27:32 am »
Wow,alot replies.
I wasn't meaning to stir the nest,just telling you guys of my own expierence,just seem to have very little water lift.Then when on continuse flow,water just stops ???
The reseller is the only one in oz,so i'll just do myself a favour and stay away from it,as for the 318,the wand just sticks to the floor, even with glided wand.I know there is a price difference,but you get what you pay in the end.

John Kelly

« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2008, 10:10:54 am »
There was obviously a problem with the setup somewhere. We have run a Prowler side by side with a Spitfire with a 100' of hose and there was no discernible difference in the performance.  The 318 is a higher spec machine which is going to be more powerful than the Prowler.  I'll contact John in Australia to see if I can get to the bottom of it.

John Kelly

« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2008, 07:10:37 pm »
Funny enough there is. Keen.