carpet guy

Re: Wrong Advice to Newbies ????
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2007, 08:24:36 am »
Fair comment Shaun, now, I have to get out and clean a nursery, unfortunately it's one of these Saturday only jobs.

John Kelly

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2007, 09:22:30 am »
I should reiterate that I am not advocating charging "high" prices when starting out, but sensible prices. Not £40 for a suite which takes you 3 hours to clean.
I believe you should be aiming for at least £50-60 per hour.

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2007, 01:52:51 pm »
starting too low is ok for the short term but trust me it needs to be short as putting up prices isnt easy  :'(

i see you lot are banging on about business this , business that , but surely if you want to stop ahead of the game you wouldnt help anybody start up ! im sure eddie stobart , and asda dont help anybody

if a cheap end cleaner works hard he will  be sat next to you in a new van with a new t.m. in too years then hes not cheap anymore is he ??? hes takeing your work

AM NOT SAYING THIS IS RIGHT just its what most others do so no getting on my case and yes it will lead be back to the old days where c.c. hated each other

ive just put a bid in on a b and b that will take me about 15 miles from you Shaun now are you going to help me easy myself in too your market with my new van and t.m. ??? .are you going to tell me were you get your work from ??? i think not because i would nt

saying that i would still help anybody but thats me

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2007, 02:04:19 pm »
Okay I'm not going to give you my database names but I'm always ready to help anyone, just lately I've been helping Jason Lawal so you can help the competition if they are a friendly, I can learn alot from jason and am always free and easy with helpful advice for him.

Shaun

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2007, 03:06:57 pm »
Especially when work is thin on the ground it's only natural to feel it's everyman for himself and do in the competition type thing.

But I think this is a mistake because it sets you up thinking that there's a limited amount of work out there. Rather than there's plenty out there and it's more to do with what I do and it doesn't matter what anyone else does.

Not sure that makes any sense but anyway.

What does it say about someone who helps out a 'competitor' down the road?

carpet guy

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2007, 03:24:16 pm »
Given out work frequently to others but yet to get anything offered in return, not that I'm looking for it, but reciprocation would be nice !

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2007, 03:33:56 pm »
Given out work frequently to others but yet to get anything offered in return, not that I'm looking for it, but reciprocation would be nice !

Notice you are in Scotland.  ::)

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2007, 05:04:36 pm »
Okay I'm not going to give you my database names but I'm always ready to help anyone, just lately I've been helping Jason Lawal so you can help the competition if they are a friendly, I can learn alot from jason and am always free and easy with helpful advice for him.

Shaun

and big hats off to you Shaun  and i know you have helped me 8) its just a diffent way of looking as things is my point but maybe theres is few with this way of thinking but wont say it out loud

p.s. if i do move near you im leaveing he cleaning behind ill have far to much to do looking after guest  ;D and brushing up on my cooking skills which are not the best

susan xx

carpet guy

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2007, 08:48:46 pm »
What difference does it make, whether I'm in Scotland or Kent ?

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2007, 08:53:35 pm »
What are Scotchmen alledgedly known for?

David_Annable

« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2007, 09:09:51 pm »
Hi

Sporans ?

Dave
NCCA, Woolsafe, IICRC Leather Cleaning Technician

Art

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2007, 09:15:08 pm »
What are Scotchmen alledgedly known for?

Good spelling  ;D

Liahona

« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2007, 06:46:13 pm »
I am not going to comment on the actual topic subject but just wanted to say...........   I have had many people on here who have offered me advice and their help and not thought of charging me for services rendered.  Likewise in return I have tried to offer advice on here and on several occasions have actually done the cleaning for some techs as they werent too sure how to do things.  Twice I have helped techs out when their client requested a truck mount (rare I know) and all they had was a portable.  Likewise I wouldnt dream of charging them for anything I may have done for them.  It is sad state if we cant help each other out.  I have never thought there is any competition amongst carpet cleaners or at least there shouldnt be.  Its not like there are more cleaners than carpets that need cleaning.

Best, Dave.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2007, 08:56:10 pm »
too right Dave, us carpet cleaners are loners really we don't usually have employees or business partners so we come on here to air our views and maybe have a bit of fun, pick up a bit of knowledge and make some friends.

Shaun

John Kelly

« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2007, 09:11:32 pm »
Since the advent of the internet and especially forums like this, people are very lucky as help and advice is readily at hand. When I first started some 15 years ago, if you met another cleaner at a suppliers and actually tried to speak to them they reacted like you were going to eat their children. There was the odd exception.
Ps i visit another forum pretty regularly and have never read so much bullpoop in all my life.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2007, 09:57:20 pm »
Can't guess which one ;D

Shaun

Doug Holloway

« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2007, 10:57:27 pm »
Hi Guys

I have learnt loads from this forum and Pros when it was independent.

It is good to help each other out and we have a good bunch on here.

Cheers

Doug

carpet guy

« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2007, 12:18:04 am »
Mike O

There is no such thing as a Scotchman.

« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2007, 01:05:28 am »
There is such a thing as a smart Alec though. ;)

carpet guy

« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2007, 07:35:14 am »
Which you certainly are not and my final word on this before I tell it like it is !

hope you get better

rob