cozy

FACEBOOK
« on: May 11, 2010, 09:36:58 am »
Long story cut short. Live in Germany (Ex Squaddie ) and have been window cleaning since 89. Started CCing in 93.. About 30% of our work is carpet cleaning now and most of our custies are forces. While doing a carpet job for a local custy, she asked why we weren't on Facebook. I'm not a Facebook type of bod really. I think it's all dross, so never bothered really.

Anyway, this woman told us that most Army WAGs were on and it would be worth having a go at advertising on there. Didn't think much about it, but later, she called and said she had opened a page for us and I should take a look !!!

Did abit of research and spoke to her on the phone. She suggested a few Facebook pages where we should post an add and see what response we got. That was back in Dec 09. Since then, we have over 225 members and regular inquiries on the page and through PM's. As we had the winter from hell here, worse than UK's  :P, we got enough work off the site to keep us going over the winter.

We learned quickly that if we placed personal ads on Facebook sites at the right times, we got a fair amount of work. I don't mean the ads you see on the side of the page, like Google etc. We join certain groups then introduce ourselves and explain what we do.

We don't spam or ram the ad down their necks, we post regular but not too often if you see what I mean. Anyone else have expierience with this sort of advertising?

JandS

Re: FACEBOOK
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 09:48:24 am »
Have a facebook account but I never use it.
Will look into that tonight.

John
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

Colin Day

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 05:22:15 pm »
I get a few jobs a month from FB at the moment.

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 05:32:07 pm »
My wife has been working on this idea, along with numerous other similar types of sites including blogs.
Trouble is this is vertually a full time job in itself trying to keep these updated and monitored.

JandS

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 06:09:51 pm »
Got the account    how do you post up ads?

John

cozy

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 06:32:51 am »
I'll get back to you mate and send some ideas later , got to smear someones windows first.  :)

JandS

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 09:32:28 am »
Cheers mate, haven't a clue what I am doing on Facebook.

John

Joe H

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 10:11:22 am »
Chris Straker, who c/cleans the Houses of Parliament and is very green with his cleaning, has posted a very good thread on another forum about Facebook which has got a lot of attention.
One job he recently got from Facebook was worth over £900 for about 7 hours work.

I have never been on facebook so dont really know what it is - someone like to explain?

Colin Day

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 11:40:27 am »
It's a social net work which you request people you know to be your friends and vice versa. I even have customers I've become friends with who can easily contact me when they need something doing and all can be arranged there and then.

Also, you can "Plug" your business to people you don't even know very simply, I can give you an example Joe. The other day a friend of mine from my area was boasting about his new house he will be moving in to in the near future..... I seen an oportunity to say congratulations and remind him that I will be available for his carpet and oven cleaning requirements. Not only does he see what my comment is, but potentially 300 of his friends will too!

terrymaloy

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 02:32:03 pm »
I created a page an Facebook a few months back.
The "fans" of my page are mainly friends of mine and a few previous customers..but its a good way to promote your special offers...and a good way to contact you if they aint got your number at hand.

Once your page is up and running it is viewable worldwide !

One of my "fans" is a guy from Arkansas in the U.S !!!

Jason Ryan

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 03:37:58 pm »
Aint a facebook person and aint have a profile on it.

However i have been concidering this for business purposes, so is it possiable to create a 'business only' profile or does it have to be a personal one? If so how do you create a business only profile??

Cheers

J

derek west

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 03:53:31 pm »
i have persoanl with a business add on. face book is a waiting game.

The Great One

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 08:19:11 pm »
Hi

Just joined

Martin 8)

derek west

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 08:26:28 pm »
94 fans for Affordable cleaners, woohoo ;D

M.Acorn

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2010, 09:13:40 pm »
Set one up yesterday after reading this !
What goes around comes around

The Great One

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2010, 09:41:43 pm »
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1354151088

This is me, now accepting friends

Regards

Martin no mates 8)

PETERjj

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2010, 01:51:46 am »
Worth a go i suppose. ??? ::) Twitter also?

JandS

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2010, 09:52:11 am »
How do you advertise on it.

John

The Great One

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2010, 03:52:04 pm »
Hi

Looks like you have to pay, advertising tab is on the bottom.

Thanks for all those that have friended (is that even a word?)

Regards

Martin 8)

Adam P

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2010, 04:10:20 pm »
martin: you want to create a "page" on facebook, which is built soley to promote your business. if you're looking for ideas on what to do have a look for competition, or companies like coca cola. you wont be associated with the page unless you want to be so you can still keep your personal life away from business

benny d

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2010, 05:59:53 pm »
Terry
Has your friend in Arkansas asked you over  to do his carpets for him ?
"If i'm not in action, I'm in traction"
Voted 397th best looking carpet cleaner in West Sussex 2015. Up 10 from last year...

The Great One

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2010, 08:27:35 pm »
martin: you want to create a "page" on facebook, which is built soley to promote your business. if you're looking for ideas on what to do have a look for competition, or companies like coca cola. you wont be associated with the page unless you want to be so you can still keep your personal life away from business

How do I do that, been trying to find out?

Martin 8)

Adam P

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2010, 08:48:12 pm »

Michael Smallwood

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2010, 08:40:40 am »
Mike Smallwood

www.mascleaning.com

The Great One

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2010, 08:47:00 am »

Michael Smallwood

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2010, 08:59:05 am »
Looks good, I will be giving it a go myself. Did you want to add a phone number on the fron page?

Cheers

Mike
Mike Smallwood

www.mascleaning.com

calmore

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2010, 03:40:05 pm »
Have placed an ad that'll run over the weekend. Heavily targeted towards the sort of people I generally get phoning up.

Will report back if the results are any good.
Calmore Carpet Cleaning-Southampton
www.calmore.com

Southern PAT Services
www.southernpatservices.com/

derek west

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2010, 08:55:07 am »
i all ready know the answer to that cal. be interesting to see if you come up with the same conclusion.

suffolkclean

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2010, 09:27:32 am »
Hi martin - you have to get friends to join your group

mine is kesgrave cleaning services if you want to have a look the link dosn't seem to all be copying over

The Great One

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2010, 05:17:23 pm »
Hi

Kesgrave I have joined.

I have also put up a community page for our Kayak Amazon Challenge, need to spread the word on this and get it moving, the more the better.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Amazon-Kayak-Challenge/126246184067314?ref=ts

Regards

Martin 8)

clinton

« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2010, 05:18:53 pm »
Looks a good link :)

Adam P

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2010, 05:47:32 pm »
martin: you should set up one of those donation pages that show visitors how much you've had donated and how far you're from finishing, and also makes it easier to donate to help out. not sure on the name of the sites but a quick google should find what i mean

The Great One

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2010, 09:19:11 pm »
Hi

Yep, I have already set one up at:

https://www.bmycharity.com/V2/kayakamazonchallenge

I mentioned it on my Amazon Kayak Challenge thread but no one has commented on it, so it's dropping down the page.

It's on my facebook page also and my community facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Amazon-Kayak-Challenge/126246184067314?ref=ts

My proposition is this, 1000 people at £10 each for £10,000 ( the price of a couple of fish suppers)

Now to start getting our jabs  :'(

Regards

Martin 8)

C'mon guys, get the cash out

calmore

« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2010, 06:48:47 pm »
Have placed an ad that'll run over the weekend. Heavily targeted towards the sort of people I generally get phoning up.

Will report back if the results are any good.

So far 3,000 impressions and one click. Cost 27p to date..
www.calmore.com

Southern PAT Services

The Great One

« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2010, 01:08:52 pm »
Hi

Checked out an ad and was coming in at $1 each, how did you get for so low?

Regards

Martin 8)

Powerwasher

« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2010, 01:27:38 pm »
I was also sceptical at first, but the ads (per click)on google do work....

Adam P

« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2010, 01:46:02 pm »
martin: could be like google in the more clicks you get, the less it'll cost. this usually takes a little while but as you became a better customer to them they'll improve your costs. could be wrong though

calmore

« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2010, 07:18:36 pm »
Not sure what the cost depends on but have heavilt targeted the ad only to the local area and a very specific group of people.

www.calmore.com

Southern PAT Services

derek west

« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2010, 07:23:22 pm »
if you get 1 enquiry amonth from facebook adds your doing really well, stick to building fans the old fashioned way, thats where the future of leads are. facebook adwords does not work.

cozy

« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2010, 10:31:07 am »
Sorry I took so long to get back on here. I'm not talking about placing adds on Facebook and hoping it works. The way I advertise is I find out what custies look at on their FB accounts. Over here, alot of wives surf local buy & sell sites. I ask the admins if I can join and introduce myself. I also ask if I can advertise every week or two, depending how busy the site is.

If the admin have no problem with this I then post on the wall. It looks like this "CARPET & UPHOLSTERY CLEANER Please feel free to contact us for a FREEquote for carpet & upholstery cleaning. The company is run under British managment. Why not join our group for future reference or you can call us on 05221 3489 25 http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=wall&gid=217388302773 "

We post this on about 5 or 6 local FB sites. Our group grows pretty well. It went from having 2 members to more than 120 in the first couple of months. We average about 500 to 1000 a month worth of work off this per month. We tend to get more work from people sending PM's than people who post questions on the wall.

We avoid any prices being mentioned for obvious reasons. The trick is to find what people in your area look at on Facebook. It's not just their friends sites! It's getting abit like a search machine every day.For example, You could try local riding clubs FB sites or gardening club FB sites orlocal football teams FB sites. One very good site we advertise on here is British Forces Pets. Get quite a few jobs from there.

Hope this helps guys. You just need to find sites to join and post on. The great thing is, it's direct and FREE! Any questions guys, you'll find my e-mail addy on my profile.

Again, sorry I've not got back to this thread.

jasonl

I clean carpets
I dry Buildings