Duke

Rover goes down the pan finally...
« on: April 15, 2005, 06:08:16 pm »
and this will affect people close to me too. Now wait for the inevitable surge of Property Maintenance vans, Window Cleaners, Gardeners and the like...as all these desperate people try and continue to earn a living....if you are in the area..look out..theres a big wave coming..

Duke

Re: Rover goes down the pan finally...
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005, 06:47:07 pm »
sorry...this should have been posted on 'social'...

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2005, 07:28:42 pm »
sorry...this should have been posted on 'social'...

No, I think it's relevant as I've never considered how huge job losses from an areas major employer could affect our trade.

Has situations like this affected anyone else?

Roy Harding

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2005, 07:36:57 pm »
Yes had an influx of window cleaners when the Royal mail went on strike once. Of course your post man knows all on his round, and people do feel sorry for them.

Roy

s.hughes

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2005, 12:02:25 am »
Vauxhall in Luton closed it doors to 1,000's of workers and I'm 10 miles from there. But it didnt effect any trade. Normaly when this happens its not so sudden as one thinks. A car company breaks down over a period of about a year so the local impact is not felt so bad.
Not to sure bout this one though, I havent kept up with the news. All you guys in that area should be ok, I would have thought the main prob would be if you clean windows for a lot of the employees who would want to save money and not spend it.
Lets not have a depressing thought though. Keep smiling, have fun and enjoy the weekend.

GRAHAM.K

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2005, 02:57:53 pm »
west yorks where I work is saturated with window cleaners, the non insured beer for lunch brigade.  maybe you should get issued an annual licence when you hand in your tax return, that should see a few cowboys off.

A shocking stastistic in the Times today. In the period 1971-2004 only 10,100 jobs created in the north of England compared to 2.73 million in the south. No wonder its getting harder to keep good priced work. We've been in business 40 + years and I'm still amazed this business is not properly regulated.

These cowboys drag us all down and make the business look amaturish and second rate.

cheers ;)

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2005, 10:41:22 pm »
I have had enquiries already from Rover workers that are looking into starting a new business, they feel they want to be in control of their future, who can blame them.

I have advised them to go on a B.W.C.A training course and learn about the subject, for further details on courses click on link to www.iwcto.com

Reuben     

AJB

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2005, 10:58:17 pm »
Over the years when Rover,Austin,Whatever they've been called at the time
have laid off workers, it has caused a noticable drop off in work, as families have cut back on what they consider non essential, this is usually short term, but none the less a hit to our trade.
www.ajbcarpetcleaning.co.uk
At the end of the day a Satisfied Customer is all that counts, They'll come back and so will their friends!!!

Duke

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2005, 07:16:52 am »
it's not so much them dropping their cleaners...though they might....it's more some of them becoming cleaners themselves.....I lived just a mile up the road from there in Rubery (we still have a house there) and that's exactly what happened in the last crisis to hit Longbridge.....I watched it change from British Leyland in the 70's, through all it's following guises...and now this. So, I reckon I know a bit about it....
Just glad we live in Cheltenham now...

Craig_Mawlam

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2005, 12:22:47 pm »
I think the point that Reuben was trying to make is that some former Longbridge workers are turning to window cleaning as well they might. However,  professional window cleaners have little to fear from professional competition. The fact that Reuben is advising training means that at least they'll know about health & safety and how to clean windows properly from day one. What the existing window cleaners in the Longbridge area don't need is an influx of cowboy's.

We all had to start somewhere, when I started there was the enterprise allowance scheme and small tools grants etc. Such government support no longer exists for people seeking to place their first foot on the ladder. I'm pleased that having come from such humble beginnings myself,  I'm now in a position to help others when they need it most.

Rgds
Craig Mawlam

matt

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2005, 01:46:23 pm »
this tread is a great read

Graham Gould, do i detect a hint of scepticism  ;D :D

Duke

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2005, 03:43:57 pm »
lol...not much chance of GCHQ shutting down....they've just spent millions on doing the place up...I live just across the road...it's a massive building site at the moment. (and a pain in the rear because of the constant stream of Constuction traffic)

Craig_Mawlam

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2005, 06:31:27 pm »
Quite a few have lost their jobs at Swindon Pressings as a result of Longbridge closure, we've interviewed some of them for our new factory in Swindon. I expect many will end up at Honda.

Craig

Craig_Mawlam

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2005, 09:13:42 am »
Graham,

I did hear that it was eighty jobs lost, what's your point?

Craig

Duke

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2005, 02:46:14 pm »
there is no point....wind up merchant I reckon.....

Duke

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2005, 06:24:42 pm »
there isn't one...yawn...

Duke

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2005, 06:31:40 pm »
Graham....it'd be nice to hear you say something good or positive...maybe even start a thread of your own...but I suppose it's easier to attack others....were you beaten as a child ?.....how come you are always so negative ? We're all in the same boat...green but growing...that's better than ripe and rotting ! Please, we would love your input...but if you can't find in yourself anything nice or usefull to say...then the best thing is to say nothing. What ever is bugging you, get over it.

rosskesava

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2005, 09:26:01 pm »
Hi Graham

How about making you thoughts apparent in a diplomatic way? And it's not, for me anyway, a question of taking it badly, I am just puzzled as to why on some topics your postings are maybe a little bit more than just thought provoking.

Really they are not 'just' your thoughts as your thoughts are in your head. They are your thoughts expressed in a particular way that you chose and my 'puzzled' is why in that way? Then again, no harm has been done.

I agree, not everyone who looses their job will rush to become a w/c, but some may and that number is an unknown and if that should happen, then those who live local  would or may be affected.

Most of our fears or worries never come true but some do.

Cheers

Ross

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2005, 12:23:28 am »
I just thought it a bit sus the way that Reubin was harping on about his courses, and we never heard from other Suppliers that's all.

Moan/negativity over, promise. 

This forum is a way of window cleaners learning and improving their business through networking with others in a positive way, with comments like yours that are negative i hope dont reflect your business

Reuben