david.e

ive gone and done it now.....
« on: May 10, 2004, 12:33:27 am »
Hi all

After much worrying I have handed my notice in and start window cleaning on the 1st June.  

I am probably going round things in the wrong way but am starting with a wfp system and starting a round from scratch.  I just wandered if anyone has started recently and roughly how long did it take to establish a reasonable round.....I am estimating 3-4 months...is that reasonable?

Anyway if anyone can give me canvessing or leaflet advice would be very grateful and any advice whatsoever would br gratefully received

a very worried

Dave

seanc

do it today tommorow never comes

WavieDavie

Re: ive gone and done it now.....
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2004, 11:01:31 pm »
Hi dave,

There's absolutely nothing to be worried about old son! These forums will give you a few years start on someone starting cold, believe me.

Justin started on wfp without even being on "the tools" - here's his profile . . . http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Equipment;action=viewprofile;username=replacement
have a search through some of his old posts for some excellent advice and a very chatty style of posting.

Phil has recently gone completely wfp after being a ladder, bucket and blade chap. Catch up with his posts over here . . . http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?action=viewprofile;username=Silly_Philly

These aren't the only wfp folk on here though, there's stacks of them around. Try a search (search button at top of page) on variations of wfp, water fed pole, waterfed pole, water feed pole, polework - you get the idea, the bb brain doesn't know about spelling mistakes ;)

If you don't already know about it, here's a board mostly dedicated to all things wfp . . . http://www.window-tools.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl
It'll take you a while to get through that too, but get stuck in - if you have enough belief in yourself to pack in the JustOnBreadline you'll make it mate, you'll definitely make it!!

Remember and let us know how you're getting on?

All the best - and go for it!
You're a Scottish window-cleaner? Licensed or not, get yourself along to www.slwcn.org right now !

Davie Park
Dalzell Window Cleaning Service - Edinburgh www.windowscleaner.co.uk

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2004, 11:31:39 pm »
Hi Dave,

I lost my job in December and decided to go back to WC'ing after a 6 yr break and I've not looked back...and neither has my wife since I've lost my office bound belly and gained a tan and muscled arms!!  ;)

Seriously, you will be fine, even if you have competition from others in your area, do a good job, be friendly to your customers and you will gain jobs hand over fist by word of mouth.

Hope all goes well and keep us up to date on your progress  ;D

Steve

replacement

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2004, 12:46:48 am »
Its hard work getting the customers i must say. But dont start charging cheap to gain the customers your regret it later.

Justin

Philip Hanson

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2004, 02:16:42 am »
I wish you success david, there are some importantthings to consider:

You will need to have money to pay your bills while you are building up work, it is vitally important that you have this finance in place NOW so that you don't hit a crisis point in a few months time.

Economise where necessary, but if you don't have savings to pay at least 6 months equivalent of your previous salary, you will need to organize a loan.

You will find that as soon as your bank sees that a regular salary has stopped going into your account they will most likely cancel or decrease any overdraft you have arranged, regardless of your credit history.

You will also find it extremely difficult to obtain a business loan, as you will have no accounts to show (being a new business).  Almost certainly you will need to obtain an unsecured personal loan.  Shop around for the best rates, and remember that when your accounts are prepared at the end of the tax year, you will be able to claim some tax relief on the interest of this loan.  (this is known as interest on capital)

You must also inform the Inland Revenue that you have commenced self-employed work (you have 3 months to do this or face a £100 penalty), and start to pay NI contributions every quarter (approx £30 per qtr).

Also, you are now responsible for your own retirement arrangements, so it is wise to take professional advice with regard to a stakeholder pension.

And remember, being your own boss is fun.

-Philip
Editor, Professional Window Cleaner Magazine

"The irony of the information age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion"
John Lawton

gemmanjim

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2004, 11:29:50 am »
Try to get a part time job at weekends to cover bills thats what i do and its great then i have the week to build up my round once its big enough i will quite.