Big Al

Staff hourly rate
« on: August 12, 2013, 05:46:42 pm »
Just advertised a job on a Tuesday and Thursday from 5am - 7am at a rate of £7 per hour and got someone complaining that the going rate for that time of the morning should be in excess of £10 ph, is this right???? Lol

pristineclean

Re: Staff hourly rate
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 11:29:50 am »
It would be really good if it was - I consider myself lucky that I have a couple of contracts where the clients have signed up to cleaners being paid the London Living Wage of £8.30 an hour.. On larger contracts I'm being paid less than £9.50 an hour which could cause problems if I had to pay the cleaners £10.00.

dmckellar

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 08:46:05 pm »
It's classed as unsociable hours.

I'd want a lot more than min wage to get up at 4am would you not?

matthewpaul

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 08:41:48 pm »
I pay my staff £7 per hour if they start at 5am or if they start at 9am, If they want to complain let them crack on there will always be a que behind them willing to work for £7 per hour.

If i payed anymore i wouldnt make enought for my Business

Rosemary Bolton

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 09:10:52 pm »
all my staff get between 6.20 and 6.30 except those who have tuped over to me

Griffus

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 11:15:29 am »
all my staff get between 6.20 and 6.30 except those who have tuped over to me

Not for much longer: -

https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates

Rosemary Bolton

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 09:40:32 pm »
thanks for letting me know I did not know it was changing. oh poo!

D4ch0l

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 04:43:56 pm »
It would be really good if it was - I consider myself lucky that I have a couple of contracts where the clients have signed up to cleaners being paid the London Living Wage of £8.30 an hour.. On larger contracts I'm being paid less than £9.50 an hour which could cause problems if I had to pay the cleaners £10.00.

Hi,

If you don't mind me asking, how many hours a week do you consider as  bigger contracts? I am trying to make a pricing profile for my company and need some help with it. I would appreciate some guidelines.

Many Thanks,
Adam

pristineclean

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 03:33:22 pm »
I don't mind at all :)

The maximum hourly charge I have is £17.00 for any contract which is less than 5 hours a week and it falls down incrementally (and rapidly!) after that according to hours used weekly; as a general guide, hourly rate would fall below £10.00 per hour when there's more than 60 hours a week being used and carry on down from there.

I'd love to pay my staff £7.00 an hour, and I do pay above the minimum wage, but competition for work in the West End and City of London is unrelenting so prices have to be as tight as practical.

D4ch0l

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 04:52:46 pm »
Thank you for your reply. I do really appreciate it.
Certainly more hours in the contract, lower the hourly rate. Another thing is that costs of living in London are higher, so are the prices for services. I mean in no way I would expect £17 an hour.
I was wondering if there is anyone from Cambridgeshire or Lincolnshire area who could share similar information, just to help us beginners get a hold of it.

Thanks, Adam

D4ch0l

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 05:42:13 pm »
Hi,

I just had a phone call from cleaning company and I've been told that for 4 hours a week they would charge £9.20/h and that includes hoover, and all cleaning products with bin bags and etc. How is that even worth doing if the minimum wage is now £6.31?
Could anyone explain, please??

Thanks,
Adam

Griffus

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 11:49:26 pm »
Hi,

I just had a phone call from cleaning company and I've been told that for 4 hours a week they would charge £9.20/h and that includes hoover, and all cleaning products with bin bags and etc. How is that even worth doing if the minimum wage is now £6.31?
Could anyone explain, please??

Thanks,
Adam

If you can't compete on price push your strengths.

You may be surprised at the response.

That said, it comes down to economies of scale. 4 hours a week for you isn't much, but for a large firm with 1000's of employees and work fitting in with other work then as they do it, they must make it pay, directly or indirectly.

TheWindowManChris

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2013, 01:32:26 pm »
I am not cleaning offices however my I employe

Cleaning Technicians who are on £7.50 for first 12 weeks then £8ph for rest.   You get paid that for your contracted period of 37.5 hours plus over 37.5hour I will pay you £10.50ph

I have clients such as council & goverment who say 'Contractors must pay Living Wage'  which is in Scotland £7.50.   I would not pay somebody £10 as a normal rate unless I have you working on Nightshift.