Majestic

Re: Pure water resin
« on: November 18, 2003, 11:15:49 pm »
Have you tried
www.andwat.co.uk
also Brodex ,I cant remember the web site , but its in the fed mag 8)

Pure_2o

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2003, 04:36:19 pm »
When buying resin make sure you know what grade resin you are buying.  Some companies can supply a 25ltr bag of resin for as little as £50, BUT at this price it would typically be regenerated resin (recycled) so it wouldn't last as long as virgin resin. You could end up buying the stuff twice as often which wont actually save you money !  

I can supply a 25ltr bag of VIRGIN MB400 resin for £75.  :)
Carl Stacey
Pure 2o Ltd.
www.pure2o.co.uk

Peter Fogwill

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2003, 05:11:39 pm »
When buying resin make sure you know what grade resin you are buying.  Some companies can supply a 25ltr bag of resin for as little as £50, BUT at this price it would typically be regenerated resin (recycled) so it wouldn't last as long as virgin resin. quote]

Recycled resin can last longer than new resin, depends on how well it is rinsed, and how long it is stored in the bag.  Regenerated resin is separated, and then recharged in exactly the same way as new resin is,  it is more environmentally friendly as it is being reused.  I wouldn't think twice about buying it especially if it were cheaper than new resin.

Peter Fogwill

Pure_2o

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2003, 11:56:56 am »
Peter is obviously an advocate of regenerated resin, the problem is that each time resin is regenerated it looses a little bit of its potency and thats a fact. My company deals with one of the biggest resin rengen opperations based in California, we know that when you buy regenerated resin you simply do not know how many times it has been regenerated in the past. Even if you send resin away to be regenerated the process is done in bulk so your resin is mixed with other customers resin that may have been regenerated many many times. The price is always a good indication you simply cannot get away with charging the same money for regen resin as virgin resin, it does not last as long and customers would complain about being ripped off!
Carl Stacey
Pure 2o Ltd.
www.pure2o.co.uk

Peter Fogwill

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2003, 01:16:44 pm »
Peter is obviously an advocate of regenerated resin, the problem is that each time resin is regenerated it looses a little bit of its potency and thats a fact. My company deals with one of the biggest resin rengen opperations based in California, we know that when you buy regenerated resin you simply do not know how many times it has been regenerated in the past. Even if you send resin away to be regenerated the process is done in bulk so your resin is mixed with other customers resin that may have been regenerated many many times. The price is always a good indication you simply cannot get away with charging the same money for regen resin as virgin resin, it does not last as long and customers would complain about being ripped off!

I don't buy or sell regenerated resin, but I would if the price was right for the customer and me.  I have used regenerated resin that I have done myself and found it to last just as long as new stuff, if not longer.

Check out the site below, and look at the paragraph just above user tips.

http://www.reefs.org/library/article/g_deutschmann_instruct.html

If you can't click on the link here is what they say...

>A recharged mixed bed DI cylinder, in most cases, will remove contaminants for a longer period of time than the original unit as packaged by the manufacturer. <

Neutralization has more chance of happening if the resin is stored for a long time.

Peter Fogwill

elfords

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2003, 10:40:52 pm »
We have always been told that once the reading starts rising above zero then thats the time to be changing it, so its interesting that you have let yours go as high as 400, our local tap water is only 260 so by what your saying we may as well just use our tap water, I wish I had known that before it would of saved a great deal of expense! So whats going on I am interested to find out more  ???
Gary

elfords

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2003, 10:56:21 pm »
Steve,

I totally agree with what you say but I guess seeing as there is know easy answer then its best to er on the side of caution, by the way we have not had  too change our resin in nearly three years! I am surprised it has lasted so long but our purification plant must be doing such a good job that the resin has very little to do on the final polish, in case your wondering yes I do regularly calibrate my TDI metre so all is correct, has save a bob or two  ;D
Gary

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2003, 10:59:23 pm »
do you have mixed bed resin you refill fro 25 litre bags?or is it different for reach and wash we have tucker

elfords

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2003, 07:40:28 pm »
yes we use mixed bed resin from 25 litre bags
Gary

Central

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2003, 06:31:49 pm »
I dont know anything about these systems as Im just looking into buying one but Id guess that the reason it cleaned ok was because youd already been cleaning it with a pure water system on previous cleans and that the window wasnt very dirty anyway

Polepro

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2003, 09:27:25 am »
Silly,

How do you handle these acids safely outside of a laboratory environment? And how would you dispose of the harmful waste in complience with environmental legislation?

Tom

Peter Fogwill

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2003, 10:38:19 am »
Regarding resin,

When I used to work in a lab, we had our own de-ioniser that we used to purify water.  When it was exhausted, we'd simply make up the chemicals and regenerate it ourselves.  It wasn't difficult at all.  It needed about 10 Litres of Sodiom Hydroxide Solution, and 10 Litres of Sulphuric acid solution.

It was quite easy to flush and then rinse the tanks, and the total cost of those chemicals was not more than about £10

Afterwards the resin was fine for about 10-11 months.

Surely this is the way to go, rather than buying new resin at £80 a go every time?

It would require buying the two types of resin seperately though (Not "mixed bed"), and it would need to be kept in seperate tanks, but this is not a difficult problem is it?

Peter, you make these contraptions - what do you think?

Philip

I am not an industrial chemist but the solution I used to regenerate resin, one half the caustic, when applied to the mixed bed resin separated it.  The chemicals are dirt cheap but at the price resin can be bought for in bulk, it is not worth the hassle of a supplier doing it themselves, you also have large postage cost for the customer getting the spent resin to you.  It may be worthwhile doing it for yourself though, if you spend a lot of money on it.

Peter

APS_PureWash_Sys

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2003, 12:23:33 pm »
Peter
       don't you think you are taking this a little to far?
have you ever seen what caustic does to the human body? in the wrong hands this stuff is unforgiving I have seen what it can do. I once soar a cleaner put hot water into a bucket I did not know he had put cautic in the bottom and it blow up all over him and that man was scared for life. think of the heath and safety issues here!
okay these chemicals may be cheap but what price do you want to pay? Scared for life for the price of a bag of resin

Andrew
APS PureWash Systems
Pure Water Window Cleaning Equipment

Mike_Boxall

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2003, 01:15:42 pm »
Despite Andrew's only other contribution to the Forum being an advert for his own system, I have to agree that it is not a good idea to even consider messing around with Sodium Hydroxide and / or Sulphuric acid!!!!!!

Regards

Mike

Peter Fogwill

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2003, 01:56:32 pm »
Peter
       don't you think you are taking this a little to far?
have you ever seen what caustic does to the human body? in the wrong hands this stuff is unforgiving I have seen what it can do. I once soar a cleaner put hot water into a bucket I did not know he had put cautic in the bottom and it blow up all over him and that man was scared for life. think of the heath and safety issues here!
okay these chemicals may be cheap but what price do you want to pay? Scared for life for the price of a bag of resin

Andrew

I said it may be worthwhile if you spend a lot of money on resin, the person doing it would have to be very careful while handling the caustic and acid, the caustic is the same solution that is used for clearing blocked pipes etc, it is being used all the time.
It is up to the individual to read and follow all the safety guidelines on the chemicals handling and using instructions.

Peter

zymotik

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2004, 12:48:53 pm »
Hey, isn't Sulphuric acid what builders use for cleaning compo (cement) off bricks after a job? It fizzies a bit, but only a stupid idiot would try drinking it, putting it in a different bottle or leaving it out for the kids in a bucket. Deeeeerrrrr!! Both these acids are standard household chemicals, I know of far worse things that could blow ya hands off if ya mixed the wrong ones (i.e. weedkillers/fertilizers/sugar...)  :o

Majestic

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2004, 11:32:21 pm »
Dom
As in Uncle,  brother of Gomez ???

Ian_Giles

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2004, 04:25:24 pm »
Well so far I haven't had to replace my resin, I should do so I know, my Pure water is coming out at 0.002 up to 0.004 depending on what level my R/O brings it down to, my resin isn't changing anything so far as I can tell. But as you can clean windows with readings far higher than that, and so far I'm not having any problems at all with the quality of the work I am doing I shall stay as I am.
But methinks I shall not be rushing out to buy large quantities of Hydrchloric acid any time soon :o

Not that I'm interested of course, but how much would you need to disolve a 10 stone wife? and more importantly, will it damage the ceramic in the bath ;D ;D :o

Am replying to this one to bring it to the fore as there has been some fresh postings about regenerating used resin, there is a link in the replies to this post, but hopefully a reply will bring it up where all can see it! 8)

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

essentiallypure

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2004, 06:06:32 pm »
In my experience in using mixed bed resin, i have found virgin resin lasts longer than regenerated resin, but it does depend on the mix whether its 50/50 or not. Backing up what has been said before i think the best resins on the market are from the bigger companies such as Rohm & Haas, which can be bought from us at £60 per 25ltr Sack + vat and delivery, if this is of any help feel free to get in contact.
Mark Partridge, Tunbridge Wells, Kent.