d s windowcleaning

can see trouble coming my way
« on: January 25, 2009, 09:41:28 pm »
i work in a area that i was born and lived there for over 20 years , a lot of my family and friends still live in the area its a really big estate with around at a guess 2000 houses .
ive been going there for at least 3 years and only do my family and friends houses , but yesterday while doing a few houses i was approached by another cleaner whom comes from out of the area .
he was asking me all sorts of questions , like how wfp works ( which i know he had no reason to ask as he uses system )
do i work on my own , what days do i work in the area , what i was being asked seemed to put me on edge i work on my own and theres 4 of them and i think theres going to be some trouble .
how would you react in a situation like this .

)

where theres muck theres money

mark dew

Re: can see trouble coming my way
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 09:44:44 pm »
Easy for us to say from afar, but continue as normal.
If you were for a hiding it would have happened already.

What days do you work the area? If it was just family and friends then i'm sure your answer would have made him realise that you aren't a threat.

jaykie

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 09:45:19 pm »
You only do family and friends houses so dont worry.

peter holley

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 09:53:34 pm »
id be pleased that he feels theatened by me ::) it shows hes insecure.....just carry on as you are ;)

foxy

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 10:07:02 pm »
you sound like a worrier. don't worry! 2000 houses is a big patch and there'll probably be 5 or 6 window cleaners about. most are ok, don't get freaked out, stand your ground a bit. you can earn a few quid, it's nothing to do with anyone else. if you feel threatened, stand back to em, change your days or ask around. you are doing nothing wrong so don't let em feel like you are.
traditional cleaner, shop windows and some pubs.

tacky

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 10:10:49 pm »
like mark said ok for us to say things /but if things persist .like they get a bit threating .tell them u only do friends n family .if any more probs u need backup . friends or family ,( or big stick ) or if u r really concerned about ur safety .as a last resort think ar those few houses worth it .

trevor povey

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 10:13:39 pm »
 Dave can,t you give them   some Kung Fu? ...or a Barnsley Chop! ;D

s.w.c

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 10:19:13 pm »
yes but it depends on what type of chaps they are and what there upto, i would carry on as normal but keep your eyes pealed. if there no good they could be after your work gear or just go around when your not there and try to under cut you, but since you do family and friends you should be fine, it could be nothing but since know one knows them, nobody can say if there no good and a bunch that always up to know good, there has been some thefts of our gear up and down the country. myself i wouldn't worry but no good going around with your eyes closed, it never hurt to air on the side of caution. if you think there up to know good you could place a few house bricks in gardens, no body would like one of them on there nugget.

peter holley

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 10:25:08 pm »
nice post smithy....

bbbbbbbbbbbaaaahhhhhh

how is u these days anyway?

s.w.c

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 10:30:03 pm »
same old same old taff.

d s windowcleaning

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 10:31:30 pm »
Dave can,t you give them   some Kung Fu? ...or a Barnsley Chop! ;D
i could do that but the last time i did the law didnt agree .
i dont worry but if youve ever had that feeling when you think somethings going to happen well thats how i feel at the moment , im only doing around 70 houses but the other cleaner used to do them , ive not undercut or poached the work , its simply because they all know and trust me , but i feel its going to kick off .

s.w.c

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 10:33:49 pm »
cant get finger prints off house bricks :o

jonisondell

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2009, 10:35:27 pm »
sounds like a job for the A team,  ;D

peter holley

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2009, 10:42:42 pm »
same old same old taff.

great.... got a good guy working for me at the moment.... like u hes worked on the doors for years.
hes a gentle giant.... good with people...works like a trojan ;D

s.w.c

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2009, 10:44:48 pm »
daveshaw, no matter what advise people give always trust your own instincts , they are seldom wrong. o an find some ruff old house bricks, lol

trike

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2009, 10:47:17 pm »
my pennies worth,if it was going to kick off he wouild have told you there and then,why ask you quistions then do it,that doesnt make sence,to be on the safe side,take someone with you for a while if you can.

s.w.c

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2009, 10:54:15 pm »
trike - this is how the dirty snake type and cowards do there thing, if you was up against some one proper they wouldn't even speak it all action they might speak and laugh as they walk away.

taff most old bouncers were good with there people skills it was they way it was, or silence followed by action. well sounds like all is well in sheep land.

tomy jackson

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2009, 11:03:50 pm »
just ignor them its no big deal as he wood have all redy sade sumert just be caerfull of your gear at nite

peter holley

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2009, 11:08:53 pm »
trike - this is how the dirty snake type and cowards do there thing, if you was up against some one proper they wouldn't even speak it all action they might speak and laugh as they walk away.

taff most old bouncers were good with there people skills it was they way it was, or silence followed by action. well sounds like all is well in sheep land.
bbbaaaaaaaAAAAHHH

s.w.c

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2009, 11:12:54 pm »
just ignor them its no big deal as he wood have all redy sade sumert just be caerfull of your gear at nite

here is one way to help protect your gear- http://www.simpsonsofturnford.co.uk/acatalog/Chips_4_Tackle.html

Pole 2 Pole

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2009, 07:29:48 am »
Tell them you work that area ever 4th Monday.......then turn up every 4th Tuesday  ;D Sorted  ;)

d s windowcleaning

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2009, 08:19:16 am »
my pennies worth,if it was going to kick off he wouild have told you there and then,why ask you quistions then do it,that doesnt make sence,to be on the safe side,take someone with you for a while if you can.
when he was asking me the questions mate he was on is own collecting but normally theres 4 of them , a few years ago this same guy kicked the bottom of another cleaners ladders while he was up it ( at least i dont use a ladder ) hes  thrown a tin of paint over a car that belonged the lad he knocked of the ladder . it just shows what he will get up to . see the round he dos he bought it for £4000 and he lost a lot of the work im doing houses he bought but they are my family and friends , they didnt like this guy but they gave him a chance when he started he started losing them and i was picking them up , ive got about £600 worth of the work he bought and he aint happy .

Pole 2 Pole

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2009, 08:31:26 am »
Is that £600 a month or a year Dave? I think there is some kinda lesson to be learned here for anyone "buying" a round. It in no way gurantees the work you buy will last a month,2 months, a year.......I can see both sides to this coin though,altough this fella does sound like the kinda bloke ya don't wanna get on the wrong side of. or have him doin ya windows,come to that. Tricky one this...........jack in doin ya friends n family's houses or bite the bullet........have a pleasant word in his shell and hope for the best.

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2009, 08:35:40 am »
cant get finger prints off house bricks :o
fingers prints maybe not dna they defo can. standing up to them if they start or just carry on as normal. I had that on an estate in cambridge but they realised I was not going away, most guys now speak to me, he may have just been interested and trying to get on with you. Not a nice feeling all the same.

henryfitz

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2009, 09:26:56 am »
If i was you i would ask him if he wanted my wfp shoved up his ass ,and if he got smart id kick him in the b***lks and when he was rolling about on the floor reverse my van over him!!! Problem sorted 8)

Pole 2 Pole

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2009, 12:25:38 pm »
That oughta do it  ::)

jonnypneumonic

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2009, 01:40:38 pm »

Possibly they have only just realised your on what they consider their patch. If you've said you've been at it for years and have never even came across each other before, possibly they'll just walk away. They might have thought you were a new invader - lol - hell bent on cause them hassle?

If the worst does come to the worst, you go to your local rag and give them the story. A nice centre spread (no nudes - lol) detailing how these thugs beat-up an innocent w/c as he went about his business can only serve to lose them the bulk of their trade and maybe you'll even end-up benefiting.

Personally i'd be in my trainers for the next few weeks, just in case you need to make a quick getaway - lol.

Good luck with it; i hate this kind of awkward situations.

JP.
Location:  Sunny Nairn (lol), Inverness-shire, Highlands of Scotland.

Always keen to accept constructive advice on setting-up / working in the W/C business.

s.w.c

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2009, 07:42:27 pm »

fingers prints maybe not dna they defo can.

most wear gloves while wfp.      officer he came up to me and started threatening me verbally and his body action where very aggressive i started to be in fear of my safety he came closer as it looked like he was going to attack me , so i had to use necessary force to repel him so i pushed him as hard as possible away from me he must of tripped over something and fell when he didn't move i tried to see whats wrong i see where he fell and there was a brick , he had split his head open on so i phoned for ambulance,  in any court of law that is called self defence , what is necessary force if the person is acting so crazy what force is needed to deal with the person????, if worde3d correctly the law is easy this also can apply to help in someone else as you thought they was in fear of there own safety . self defence is allowed providing you know what your talking about, when you are questioned, but knowing all this takes time,

d s windowcleaning

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2009, 08:09:34 pm »
Is that £600 a month or a year Dave? I think there is some kinda lesson to be learned here for anyone "buying" a round. It in no way gurantees the work you buy will last a month,2 months, a year.......I can see both sides to this coin though,altough this fella does sound like the kinda bloke ya don't wanna get on the wrong side of. or have him doin ya windows,come to that. Tricky one this...........jack in doin ya friends n family's houses or bite the bullet........have a pleasant word in his shell and hope for the best.
its £600 per month mate , if tony macmac came on he would tell you athersley is a really big area im born and bred there and know just about everyone .
if i really wanted i could pick up all or as many houses as i wanted but ive stuck to family and really close friends .

ronnie paton

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2009, 08:14:35 pm »

fingers prints maybe not dna they defo can.

most wear gloves while wfp. officer he came up to me and started threatening me verbally and his body action where very aggressive i started to be in fear of my safety he came closer as it looked like he was going to attack me , so i had to use necessary force to repel him so i pushed him as hard as possible away from me he must of tripped over something and fell when he didn't move i tried to see whats wrong i see where he fell and there was a brick , he had split his head open on so i phoned for ambulance, in any court of law that is called self defence , what is necessary force if the person is acting so crazy what force is needed to deal with the person????, if worde3d correctly the law is easy this also can apply to help in someone else as you thought they was in fear of there own safety . self defence is allowed providing you know what your talking about, when you are questioned, but knowing all this takes time,

really so you think you would get away with it by WORDING it right hahaha are you for real

d s windowcleaning

« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2009, 08:27:56 pm »
lets not argue lets reflect on what pole 2 pole said , how would you feel if you bought a round and lost £600 worth of work .

s.w.c

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2009, 08:43:33 pm »

really so you think you would get away with it by WORDING it right hahaha are you for real

yes i do and know it can be done, Ive got away with it lots of times when working the doors and off its just knowing the law system and i have over 14years experience of it, i guess for those not like me they wouldn't understand and that's fine we all have different backgrounds, just because i wasn't spoon fed and had a different walk of life from you , this doesn't mean I'm wrong and you know it all, i was just stating a fact if worded correctly and accidents happen and the reason if any of my dna was on the brick is because i moved him to see whats wrong and called the ambulance, you cant say yes i lumped him with the brick and think your gonna get away with it now can you.

s.w.c

« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2009, 08:48:37 pm »
its like if a burglar is in your house after breaking in you can get a bat and as long as its below the waist you can get away with it, so if you break his legs you was only trying to stop the armed burglar from getting away , but above the waist like head shots you will get into trouble the will class this a malicious wounding, so remember if you do find a rat in your house below the waist,

ronnie paton

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2009, 09:06:29 pm »
spoon fed mmmmmmmmmm i too have experienced on both occasions i really did defend my self but i got charged so maybe i too have experience and that is to avoid doing anything like that at all cost, if you have to defend your self its doesnt mean you will be believed.

s.w.c

« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2009, 09:19:02 pm »
spoon fed mmmmmmmmmm i too have experienced on both occasions i really did defend my self but i got charged so maybe i too have experience and that is to avoid doing anything like that at all cost, if you have to defend your self its doesnt mean you will be believed.

i don't know how long ago you got charged, i don't know what happened in your case but if the little red monster came out and the full rage the brain don't think as well as a calm mind, only you know what happened , but the way the law is worded it is more than possible to get away with it but you got to know what your doing, i also have been charged a few times but in those cases the rage took control and that was that, but if calm cool headed i know how to twist the system, if i can stay calm,   as for the word spoon fed was a term i used as i don't know who you are or your walk of life but by use in those words gets a reaction and then i have a clue of your walk of life how big of a clue depends on how you answer. there is a old say a dish is best served up cold rather than hot. so cool calm wins over hot headed,

ronnie paton

« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2009, 09:22:02 pm »
good advice and some thing i will try take up, its counts for everything in life, business, fighting for contact of children driving, ect ect

but i think were getting of topic so ill leave it there but thanks for the advice

macmac

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2009, 09:30:26 pm »
its £600 per month mate , if tony macmac came on he would tell you athersley is a really big area im born and bred there and know just about everyone .
if i really wanted i could pick up all or as many houses as i wanted but ive stuck to family and really close friends .

Yeah it's big with loads of compact housing estates.

It's a tough one Dave, at least it's your area so that should give you some feeling of security, where are these guys from?
If you feel realy threatened you could always buy a baseball bat (argos/sports shop) & keep it in the van. I had to do this once (long time ago) BUT make sure you buy a baseball too to keep with it, this way it's classed as sporting equipment (as you now play baseball) & not an offensive weapon! ;)

Tony

s.w.c

« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2009, 09:33:07 pm »
that is true ronnie, i wasn't trying to get off topic, because it can be relevant what we are talking about because depending on the type of chap he is dealing with it can be relevant, i think he said pushed some one off a ladder and through some paint over his car, sounds like a right little charmer and the only way these type will understand is with methods they know, this is a unfortunate fact.

Pole 2 Pole

« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2009, 09:58:29 pm »

It's a tough one Dave, at least it's your area so that should give you some feeling of security, where are these guys from?
If you feel realy threatened you could always buy a baseball bat (argos/sports shop) & keep it in the van. I had to do this once (long time ago) BUT make sure you buy a baseball too to keep with it, this way it's classed as sporting equipment (as you now play baseball) & not an offensive weapon! ;)

Tony
That reminds me............I must go buy some tees tommorow to go with my 9 iron  ;D

macmac

« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2009, 10:13:01 pm »

Tony
That reminds me............I must go buy some tees tommorow to go with my 9 iron  ;D

;D ;D ;D

Yeah, it's true, I got pulled over & the cop spotted the bat in the car, anyway, to cut a long story short, when he realised I wasn't a yob he told me I needed to buy a ball & why! ;)

Tony

s.w.c

« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2009, 10:34:29 pm »
a 5cell maglite is good torch also a thick pair of rugby socks in the door card come in handy and last tip a American pool ball in the glove box ;D

s.w.c

« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2009, 10:53:15 pm »
no your right, but why should he become a victim he has prob got a mrs and kids waiting for him at home, many years ago there was some bad things going on and it only take some brain dead idiot to start,

d s windowcleaning

« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2009, 08:00:00 am »

Tony
these guys are from sheffield mate , they do a lot of houses in athersley but theyve allso lost a lot , not just to me but to others as well .
the guy who bought the round is supposed to be a bit of a headcase , it says something when he kicked the bottom of a ladder with someone up it causing him to come off .

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2009, 08:43:05 am »
I'm so glad I don't live in those areas. :o

If I were you Dave, I'd change your day, and get a mate a to come around in the van with you.
You don't need hassle at work do you?

jade.l

« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2009, 01:22:40 pm »
wait til he's up a ladder and kick it haha ( im sorry im bad)!
question him back.
play dumb like you dont know who he is etc.
offer him advice.
oh my god i didnt realize window cleaning was so bitchy haha.
here go to expertvillage and type in self defence or something.. watch and learn haha.
im sorry,im not helping am i... i'll shush now

s.w.c

« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2009, 05:01:08 pm »
simply fill a squeeze bottle full of petrol, squirt it in his face stand back a bit light a fAg hold your lighter up and smile, second thoughts don't follow that one stick to the house brick trick
but seriously play it by ear just keep your eyes peeled it may come to nothing, well i hope it works out ok

Pole 2 Pole

« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2009, 05:08:01 pm »
Blimey............Dave aint posted on this since this morning. Hope he aint been duffed up  :o Talk to us Dave...........we're worried now  :'(

AuRavelling79

« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2009, 05:14:28 pm »
simply fill a squeeze bottle full of petrol, squirt it in his face stand back a bit light a f*g hold your lighter up and smile, second thoughts don't follow that one stick to the house brick trick
but seriously play it by ear just keep your eyes peeled it may come to nothing, well i hope it works out ok

Note to self: - never, ever get on the wrong side of SWC!  :)
It's a game of three halves!

s.w.c

« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2009, 05:16:09 pm »
im nice really  ??? ???

Pole 2 Pole

« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2009, 05:24:20 pm »
It's true Malc.....SWC really is a lovely guy...........The last time i said otherwise, he corrected me...very comprehensively  ;D

s.w.c

« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2009, 05:33:40 pm »
i am nice and help anyone love my Mrs and kids, but after all these years dealing with violence i learnt to deal with it in return with extreme prejudice , its amazing all those years of it why i carryed on but you get use to it, people would try following you home, you would be out shopping in the towns it seem to be every where, we didn't win any popularity contest i know but it was our job simply a job not personal. I'm long retired from it, but still know how to deal with it, i like the simple life if it be known, but it don't make me a bad person just different from others.

trike

« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2009, 05:39:32 pm »
when he was asking me the questions mate he was on is own collecting but normally theres 4 of them , a few years ago this same guy kicked the bottom of another cleaners ladders while he was up it ( at least i dont use a ladder ) hes  thrown a tin of paint over a car that belonged the lad he knocked of the ladder . it just shows what he will get up to . see the round he dos he bought it for £4000 and he lost a lot of the work im doing houses he bought but they are my family and friends , they didnt like this guy but they gave him a chance when he started he started losing them and i was picking them up , ive got about £600 worth of the work he bought and he aint happy .
o i thourght he was just a guy asking you,i didnt realise he worked on same patch,its his fault hes lost them,but what you say hes not a nice guy to come across,id still carry on but thats me

d s windowcleaning

« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2009, 05:42:54 pm »
Blimey............Dave aint posted on this since this morning. Hope he aint been duffed up  :o Talk to us Dave...........we're worried now  :'(
im still here mate im not back in that area until the end of the week .

trike

« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2009, 05:45:18 pm »
lets not argue lets reflect on what pole 2 pole said , how would you feel if you bought a round and lost £600 worth of work .
im paying off a round now,will be mine in october,but if someone came in and started doing my custies,its up to them who they want there windows cleaned by,if there not happy with me they might want someone else,what would i do,nothing if ive lost my custies thats my fault,know if he goes round undercutting thats a different ball game i wouild kick his arss.

d s windowcleaning

« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2009, 05:47:11 pm »
o i thourght he was just a guy asking you,i didnt realise he worked on same patch,its his fault hes lost them,but what you say hes not a nice guy to come across,id still carry on but thats me

i will still carry on and keep alert while in the area .

d s windowcleaning

« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2009, 05:50:44 pm »
im paying off a round now,will be mine in october,but if someone came in and started doing my custies,its up to them who they want there windows cleaned by,if there not happy with me they might want someone else,what would i do,nothing if ive lost my custies thats my fault,know if he goes round undercutting thats a different ball game i wouild kick his arss.
thats 1 thing ive not done mate undercut him its just he isnt liked .

s.w.c

« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2009, 06:23:48 pm »
i turned up to do some flats today Ive been doing these for years, i found a new window cleaner there cleaning a couple of the ones i don't do, i pulled up and said morning then got my gear out and carried on with my work, i must have canvased them recently but who cares there is room for everyone, good luck to him, there was no complaints of anyone trying to under cut me, so I'm not bothered, good luck to him, if he had gone around trying to under cut me then i find this unfriendly, i wont tolerate under gutting its wrong way, i personally don't go out door knocking or canvasing, i rely on recommendation these days, but way back when i did can-verse i never used those under cutting tactic i just dropped of flyer's and business cards through the doors and waited for the calls,

weetot

« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2009, 08:18:28 pm »
Just knock im out!! and he'll not be back.
Never take financial advice from people who have no money!

elite mike

« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2009, 08:26:54 pm »
I'm so glad I don't live in those areas. :o

If I were you Dave, I'd change your day, and get a mate a to come around in the van with you.
You don't need hassle at work do you?

we all love each other here dave

and if any one crosses us we kill them ;)

s.w.c

« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2009, 08:31:36 pm »
the a-team sod them its the cleanitup, team who's van is being used then ;D

elite mike

« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2009, 08:33:12 pm »
the a-team sod them its the cleanitup, team who's van is being used then ;D

tomo,s & rz ;D ;D

geefree

« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2009, 05:30:44 pm »
he may be reading this dave. ???

s.w.c

« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2009, 05:35:40 pm »
hope he has learnt to read then

weetot

« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2009, 10:38:41 pm »
Sounds like he can't read anyway give him my address, dont put up with bullys!!
Never take financial advice from people who have no money!