Grafters Cleaning Services

Tips to get more work
« on: January 13, 2005, 06:38:07 pm »
This article is primarily aim at the newbies to the world of window cleaning.
I’m not going to mention flyers as most of know just how effective they work nor am I going to teach you how to suck eggs all I want to do is share my experience with you that works well for me.
How many times have you heard someone say to you when you’re out working “are you a window cleaner?” yes we all get it time and time again don’t we?
Well that’s really good because in effect they are really asking if you would be interested in taking on another customer i.e. themselves, and of course you want more customers ££££££
So we know that there’s lots of un-cleaned windows out there and a lot of potentional customers however if you’re  working the back or sides of the house then no one is going to see you at work unless they have x-ray vision.
So therefore the obvious solution is to have your car/van sign written with your details on, before your raise your arms in shock horror and cry out “far to expensive” try the option I use.
Magnetic signs, the good thing about them is that you can remove them should you need your vehicle for other uses i.e. family car etc. They are a lot cheaper than sign writing and removed in seconds, I have 1 large one either side of the door panels on my van giving all my details plus on the back I have a slim one which simply says in large bold red lettering on a white background WINDOW CLEANER. You will be surprised at how many times I get stopped even walking in to a shop and asked if I could take on another customer. Another tip worth passing on, I wear a blue baseball cap with white text on it reading GRAFTERS CLEANING SERVICES also a green reflective sleeveless jacket with the text in black reading GRAFTERS CLEANING SERVICES and under that the words WINDOW CLEANER.
Since doing the above mentioned my turnover has increased many fold and for the cost of a few pounds you will soon get a return on your money invested. Try it, it works for me.
If anyone else has got any useful tips please pass them on.
Good Luck “Jay” Grafters
JAY "GRAFTERS"
From Southampton
www.high-shine.co.uk

Ian_Giles

Re: Tips to get more work
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2005, 06:54:18 pm »
Jay,
I have never really thought about magnetic signs, there is no way I would get my car sign written because it is also the family car :-\
But magnetic signs sound like a great idea 8)

Can you give some idea of costs? I know that can only be a ballpark figure for the obvious reason that the more you have done, the more it will cost.

Where, or rather what sort of places do you look at with regards getting them??

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2005, 07:00:15 pm »
H i Ian
My 2 side signs cost £60-00 the rear one they threw in as a freebie. Both signs are about 14"x26" check yellow pages for sign writers, most of them should do mag signs or recommend someone. Another good tip design your own artwork and copy onto a cd in jpeg or tiff and pass on to the sign people, this will also save you money.
JAY "GRAFTERS"
From Southampton
www.high-shine.co.uk

Ian_Giles

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2005, 07:22:21 pm »
Thanks Jay,

I shall look into that forthwith ;D

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2005, 07:24:54 pm »
You're welcome Ian. good luck
JAY "GRAFTERS"
From Southampton
www.high-shine.co.uk

matt

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2005, 09:11:54 pm »
Ian

try ebay

http://search.ebay.co.uk/magnetic-signs

most on there will either be mail order companies, OR people who work for a company and sell them out of the back door so to speak

500mm wide x 300mm high 20 quid plus 6 quid postage, whcih i would say is : 46 quid for 2 of them (as you will only pay 1 postage charge)

matt

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2005, 09:19:16 pm »

matt

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2005, 09:38:37 pm »
just ordered 2 from the guy above

will let you know how i get on :)

18.49 each its worth a shot

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2005, 11:22:35 pm »
the ones on ebay are reasonable priced but mine are with logo and coloured text which cost a bit more (see my mag sign on the left)
JAY "GRAFTERS"
From Southampton
www.high-shine.co.uk

Duke

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2005, 04:38:03 pm »
ours are 'stick on' signs, but on purpose vans....we used to use our cars, but they were getting knocked about a bit....though these new ones can peel off easily (ish) without damaging the paintwork....they look like painted ones though....£40 for both sides....

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2005, 04:56:46 pm »
once removed i asume you can't re-use them?
JAY "GRAFTERS"
From Southampton
www.high-shine.co.uk

Duke

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2005, 05:18:53 pm »
no not really...lol...but in the case of ever re-selling the van on....it will surely add to the price over a 'signwritten one'.....I nearly bought one which was an ex Plumbers van....would have cost a fortune to get it re-sprayed so I could get my stuff on it .....worth a thought !

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2005, 06:42:37 pm »
hi duke, if anyone wants sign writing done most companies these days use a sticky type which can be removed by using a hairdryer, once again not devalueing you car/van.
The only reason I use mag signs is I run 2 businesses therefore I change my signs in seconds. If I was only in the cleaning biz I would personally opt for the sticky type sign writting as I think it has more impact and you can display more details rarther than mag signs which have a limitted amount of space for your text.
JAY "GRAFTERS"
From Southampton
www.high-shine.co.uk

Duke

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2005, 06:47:54 pm »
well said...there you go then.....right then, to the drinks cabinet !..( Finally finished the paperwork for the day)....

pjulk

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2005, 10:13:31 pm »
I had this chap do my signs and they came out great.
He does not charge any extra for pictures.
Just send him a pick you want on there.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36677&item=7945981725&rd=1

£29 a pair

I would have him do my signs again.

Paul

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2005, 09:06:19 am »
Hi Paul, that's a very good price indeed
JAY "GRAFTERS"
From Southampton
www.high-shine.co.uk

pjulk

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2005, 10:43:38 pm »
It is and when i ordered mine i had them in about 4 days.

texas girl

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2005, 03:52:49 am »
One thing I have done to advertise is to get a yard sign. When I do a house I post it in the front yard close to the street. Getting a listing in the yellow pages is the best advertising. Using door hangers offering a discount, special, etc. works. I also have a magnetic sign on the back of my bright yellow truck. Word of mouth is great but it takes time. Newspaper ads may get some, but going from store to store, or using door hangers are helpful. You need a lot of them.Based on the law of averages you will get 5% at least. Wearing brightly colored shirts with a logo that stands out is also good because while you are cleaning store fronts a lot of people will talk to you. Appearance is important. Also, do not talk to an employee of the store; ask for the manager or the assisstant. Be confident, proffessional, and positive. Check back with the manager at least 2 more times.  That impresses lots of business people. Be patient; if you are persistant, honest, have great quality standards, and always do things to further your cause, you will be successful. I started my business 25 years ago with 1 customer. Now I have a staff of 8 and I run the business. I used to work 7 days a week and went out in the snow and cold because I had bills to pay. Now I sleep later, go out in my boat on the lake, ride my bike a lot , and do a lot of office work. I am glad I chose this proffession because I love it. I honestly love to clean windows! But I make more money now by finding jobs for others to do, and keeping a percentage of each contract. I do a lot of quality control, keeping in close contact with my contractors, and I do all the estimates for homes myself. It has been a blessing to me. Most of all; be persistant! Never be discouraged. Be creative and open to new ideas. Now go out there and live your dream!
Debbie