pjulk

Ro and Di Filter
« on: December 17, 2004, 09:44:15 am »
I have a question about RO and DI filters

If you have a DI filter you do not get any waste water.
But if you have a RO filter setup you get a lot of waste water.

Why does this happen you get waste with one and not the other.

Also the waste water you get of an RO system cant you just put that through a DI filter after that way no waste.

The reason i ask is im in the process of setting up with wfp system and if you could run the waste through a DI filter i would not have to worry about where to run the waste water too.

Paul

Peter Fogwill

Re: Ro and Di Filter
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2004, 10:39:58 am »
The reason there is waste with one and not the other is because they are two different ways of purifying water . In simple terms the DI is dealing with all the water passing through, purifying it on the way past the beads.  The RO on the other hand is separating the water, all the good stuff out one pipe all the rubbish out the other.  The waste water has the impurities that would normally be in the product water as well as it's own.

The waste water is much higher TDS (total dissolved solids) than just tap water, so you wouldn't want it going anywhere near your DI.  It would be better just to put the water straight from the tap through the DI without going through the RO first.

RO is a much cheaper way of dealing with the water than DI, it is just unfortunate that it is also a much slower process.

Peter

pjulk

Re: Ro and Di Filter
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2004, 12:34:52 pm »
Thanks peter for your detailed explaination.
Now i have a much better understanding of how it all works

Thanks again

Paul