windakleena1

customer payments
« on: December 12, 2004, 01:18:20 pm »
I have been " on the glass" for a number of years now but theres one thing that really gets on my nerves,EVENING COLLECTIONS ( ok before you all jump off your ladders, i know its part of the job). Theres a few comrades who have introduced payment systemns, what are the best ones to use?, what are the pros and cons?.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO READ THIS. ???

Rob_B

Re: customer payments
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2004, 01:42:49 pm »
Stamped addressed envelopes!

For the price of a second class stamp let your customers send you a cheque. However, my bank now going to charge me 60p to cash a cheque. Time to find a new one with another years free banking.

windakleena1

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2004, 03:07:20 pm »
THAT SOUNDS OK ,  WHAT WAS THE SUCCESS RATE?
Did you get many cheques" lost in the post" ?
CHEERS. :)

matt

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2004, 03:40:52 pm »
i dont even use a SAE

if they are in in the day, i collect :)

if they are out, i leave a slip which says

your windows were cleaned today

Sorry we missed you for Collection

Can you PLEASE send a cheque to : blah de blah

otherwise you can pay ONLINE or pay next time

it allways works as most like to pay

some pay online, i have paypal / nochex and fastpay, so all covered, but the uptake on online payments are slow

matt

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2004, 03:44:03 pm »
just to add

some leave it 2 cleans to send a cheque (if its under 10 quid i tell them to)

most pay all the time, as they realise you provide a service, so its only fair you get your money

Rob_B

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2004, 04:12:59 pm »
Never had one lost in the post, and everyone I leave an envelope for sends a cheque.

windakleena1

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2004, 06:27:33 pm »
Fanx chaps, that will do nicely.
Merry xmas and a happy financial year!....  :D

Duke

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2004, 07:12:44 pm »
I leave virtually every customer with an invoice and a stamped addressed envelope unless they happen to be in (not many) I always use a first class stamp....I think that a second class stamp gives the customer the wrong impression (like you arn't that bothered when you get your money...it devalues the business)
It was a bit rough for the first couple of weeks, but now the cheques roll in to my PO Box on a daily basis....if I havn't been paid by the time they are due again (monthly) then they get a phone call or a note to tell them they won't be cleaned again until the account is clear (in nicer terms than that...lol)....seems to work ok...I couldn't stand the idea of having to go back on the evening to pick up money...it'd be like going to work twice. Anyway, it would be another 25 mile round trip...and that's the nearest ones ! Most are fine, and pay up within a few days. One even sent me a Christmas card and tip with the payment, bless 'er.

stevekennedy

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2004, 04:58:33 pm »
I'm looking into direct debit  8) keep ya posted! ;)

choice.clean

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2004, 07:32:03 am »
the answer is standing order i have been using it for last 3 years advantages
1. do not require direct debit gaurantee which i understand is costly.
2. customer just gets a card thru the door when you clean its great when customer comes out and says what do i owe you and you say paid already mate.
3. customer retention is great i can count on fingers number who have left.
4. gets commitment when starting job (if they say dont want to do that there not serious about a regular window cleaner)
5. banks like direct debit most banks give you a good number free each month and then fees are very low i think its 15p with barclays as opposed to 54p for banking a cheque
6. cashflow you know when you will get paid so can plan ahead.
Disadvantages
less communication with customers i put newsl;etter thru door every 3 months to keep customer informed
difficult to rise price you have to send new standing order
banks can mess up.

windakleena1

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2004, 05:05:43 pm »
Duke,
How much do you pay for a p.o box ?

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2004, 11:39:10 pm »
I also hated collecting so...

I put an SAE through with the note if they are out, if they are in and don't pay for whatever reason, just going out, can't be bothered ect, they just get a note to say please post - they can provide their own envolope!

Everyone has posted within a few days and none have got lost. Works well. Always a check or two coming through my letter box most days  ;D

...and my evenings are my own again!!

Cheers
Steve

Duke

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2004, 07:52:50 am »
How much do you pay for a p.o box ?

cant remember off hand...think it's about £30 for six months...not much really..

mickeyfat

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2004, 01:03:27 pm »
 >:(