DJC Clean

Am i too slow
« on: December 10, 2004, 04:56:39 pm »
I`ve just started my round this week thank you all for the advice prior to be buying it.

Now too be honest its a lot harder than I had imagined and the time Im cleaning houses in is too slow. I`m cleaning 3/4 bed detached houses in 30 mins is this too slow. The average house is priced at £5.50.

I had thought I`d be cleaning at least 3 an hour maybe 4 !!

And are there any tips to speed me up or will it just come with time. i think a lot of my time is wasted scrimimg off.

Philip Hanson

Re: Am i too slow
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2004, 05:16:34 pm »
Hello DJC Clean and welcome to the Forum

Window cleaning is one of those jobs that is a lot harder than it looks.  It is physical, and it will take time to develop the muscles you use.  Until then, you will be slower, and most probably will ache at the end of the day.

However, £5.50 in half an hour is not too bad for a new starter, you must price your work correctly, and that is tricky.

You'll find you probably get up to twice the speed your going at in just a few weeks time and in six months time you'll be burnin rubber.

It takes time to get skilled with a squeegee, and until then you'll probably go through a fair few scrims per day.  When you get the hang of it, you'll probably find that most of the time you wont need to scrim at all.

As you get to know your round, you'll remember where to place the ladder so that you can reach the most windows with the minimum of movement, but this is something you just learn by trial and error.  Also, many windowcleaners find they slow down a little bit in the winter, especially if it gets icy.  Come the summer and you'll be laughing.

Stick at it, and I'm pretty sure you'll find this business to be both satisfying and financially rewarding.

-Philip
Editor, Professional Window Cleaner Magazine

"The irony of the information age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion"
John Lawton

marcinos

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2004, 05:22:18 pm »
hi
in my opinion this a decent time, but i am affraid price is not. i know that in difrent parts of uk prices may vary ,but i would charge for that house at least 12 quid. there is a window cleaner on my road where i just moved in and charge for a front 3.5. i ve done bit canvassing few days a go and got a customers who will pay 6 , and they are saying thats very reasonable. what is a point to undercharge if you can get good money for decent job? but this one hasnt got a clue whatsoever. i observed him another day. he did the front in 40 minut and missed two windows on purpose. how much must he earned? 30 a day? wish him all the best

simonb

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2004, 08:34:33 pm »
After you have been round once put all the prices up.
You will lose some but earn the same money  with less work

robcooper

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2004, 11:08:22 pm »
Hi,
I have been full time about 6 weeks now and can definately say that the speed will come! When you go back to places as one of the previous posts states you know where to foot your ladders and things just seem to click.
I also found obviously that if some of your work is new and not been done for ages it takes alot longer the first time.
good luck!

gaza

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2004, 01:00:15 am »
window cleaning is like erm, other things in life. Once you get the rythem its easy. ;D
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

Ian_Giles

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2004, 04:47:47 pm »
To have done a 3 bed detached in 30 minutes or so isn't to bad, particularly as you are just starting out, but it does sound a tad cheap :-\
In my own area I would not touch a 3 bed detached for under £8.50, but that of course would also depend on the type of windows they are.
When I price up accounts I generally break everything down to a unit price of £1.00 per window.
Each move of a ladder=1 unit.
Break large bays down into units too, ditto large windows.

Whatever you do, DON'T UNDERPRICE!!!

Your speed will increase as you gain experience, but as a general rule, don't expect to do more than 3 normal semi's an hour.
Customers will talk to you for one thing, and you cannot always hope to have account after account lined up 1 after the other!!

Stick with it though, you know it makes sense ;D

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

DJC Clean

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2004, 02:30:07 pm »
cheers for all the responces. Now into my second week and too be honest i`m speeding up now getting towards three an hour. I don`t know where you`re all based but i`m in Yorkshire. I don`t think the work is that badly priced for around here.

Already taken on 5 new customers last week aswell. Putting prices up for these. If i`m strugling can always drop off the other cheaper houses.

If i`m honest i`m really enjoying it the weathers not too bad either althougfh this morning was pretty bad.

Anyway i`ll stop rambling on and i`m sure i`ll have lots more questions.

Duke

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2004, 05:40:11 pm »
Hmmm, up your prices...work at about 75p a window...depending on type and ease of access. Get a loan...get a pole...you should be on about £25 an hour by then....I know it's an investment, but it's quickly paid back....and you wont look back....don't get bogged down, it's only cleaning glass, and they wanted you anyway. It can take a while to get organised, but that's ok, it can be a steep learning curve. Once I'm in my van and loaded, as far as I'm concerned, I'm in a money making machine....and it works just fine. Keep the faith.

rosskesava

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2004, 01:04:07 am »
hi

I'm now on my 6th month window cleaning. i got made redundant from the railways (what a sh*t job) and now after 6 months i'm finding that i'm getting to know how to do things a bit better re cleaning glass. i still get home completely knackered but it's getting easier. i could not believe to start with just how physical and tiring the work was.

what I've realised lately is that what took me ages to do a few months back now takes minutes. it has also taken us ( there's 3 of us who work as a team) a bit of time to have the courage to start asking for decent prices for the work we do. this only happened when we had enough work already to keep us going. i was amazed at just how many people people are prepared to pay for good service. if someone says 'no' to the the price we ask - for example £15 for a standard 3 up 3 down + £5 for a conservatory, then it don't matter. last week we got one job at an out the way 'rich man's' house who was prepared to pay for reliable window cleaning priced at £70. there are people out there who will pay for good service.

My advise is to keep going at the prices you have, then as you get more work, and your books get full, then drop the cheapest jobs, etc.

bit by bit our income is going up and we are getting quicker at  the work and also gaining in experience. it does get easier. just wished i did window cleaning for a living years ago. there are so many sh*t jobs out there and compared to the one I had for 13 years, give me window cleaning any day.

cheers

ross in sunny or not so sunny Brighton

mark f

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2004, 10:04:38 pm »
yep keep it up i started straight from school 16 years ago and the speed will come as will the pricing etc. You will never get caught for the same mistake twice!! It is a learning curve.

mickeyfat

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2004, 01:00:37 pm »
practice makes perfect