Mike_Boxall

101 ways to improve your window cleaning business!?
« on: December 08, 2004, 04:19:11 pm »
Hi

I recently had a booklet from a supplier as a 'free gift' entitled '101 ways to get anyone to do almost anything!'

Aside from the fact that, despite having the booklet, people still ignore me   I thought it might be a good idea to come up with something similar for window cleaners which we could post here for people to download.

So, has anyone got any simple but effective hints, tips or tricks that would help both new and established window cleaners.

I can think of quite a few general ones, as follows, but would welcome any more you could think of.

Regards

Mike

Rule # 1 - If you do the same things you'll get the same results!

Don't undervalue your service. Charge a good price for a good job.

Always keep your vehicles clean. First impressions count.

Send a 'Thankyou for your business' card after a customer uses you for the first time.

Try to sell your services to anyone you buy from.

Make use of free editorial in local press. Often they struggle to find stories to fill it. If you have a high profile new customer, or you take on more staff, or move premises, or celebrate 5 years in business (or 10, 15, 20, 25 for that matter!) or invest in the latest equipment to 'keep up with demand' - you might be surprised how easy it is to get something included, particularly if you have a good picture to go with it.

Consider co-operative advertising. Why not halve the cost of printing and inserting leaflets by partnering with another, non-competing, business such as a plumber or electrician. You print on one side and they print on the other.

If a customer is happy with the job ask them to put it in writing. Testimonials are the best way to install confidence in your abilities.

Make an effort to work with 'competitors'. Often they'll have work they could pass on and vice-versa. There's plenty of business for everyone out there.

Always offer add-on services where possible such as ???.

Get trained. Good training will help you do a better job faster.

Join, and participate, in an online forum such as Cleanitup 

Tax evasion is illegal but tax avoidance isn't! Always use a good bookkeeper or accountant. They can often save you more money than they cost.

Over to you lot for now............

simonb

Re: 101 ways to improve your window cleaning business!?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2004, 05:31:15 pm »
By 'Carpet' do you mean 'Window'?

Mike_Boxall

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 05:38:52 pm »
Yep  :-[ (I've changed it now thanks)

Philip Hanson

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2004, 11:44:51 am »
(-)Shoe Covers (the plastic disposable type you slip over your normal shoes) are cheap and very effective. 

Always keep a couple in your pocket, and slip them on if you ever have to go inside a property, and the householder/ facilities manager will always be impressed.

-Philip
Editor, Professional Window Cleaner Magazine

"The irony of the information age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion"
John Lawton

gaza

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2004, 01:31:59 am »
Iwork on wooden window frames,as well as plastic{dont we all}well my rouse for a first clean is tell the customer that there will be an edge around the outside of the window because have they ever wiped a car window after they have washed it and ended up thinking were has all that black stuff come from,say well in my experience when i clean your windows this will happen and if it goes onto your whites because its rubberized it will stain the white frames grey and wont come of.so clean the windows as usual.For wooden painted windowframes that the paint looks old say because the paint is old in my experience when water hits old paint it goes into a powder form and were ever I wipe the windows, a white wash effect will appear,and all I will be doing is pushing the mark around the frame,clean as normal knowing 90% will be okayed by the customer,but tell them it will be 100% on the next clean,worked every time for me customer seems impressed with your care and knowledge
]
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

tightswerve

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2004, 05:28:44 pm »
If in doubt i knock the door and if  they are in explain"i thought best to knock in case a family member me be ill in bed" or whatever or maybe they could be in a state of undress when  my ugly mug appears at the top of a ladder  :o

Steve Wright  ;)

Duke

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2004, 07:39:00 pm »
Yes, I always knock or ring first...if I get an answer I say something like 'just to let you know I'm here' or 'Hi, it's Duke, your window cleaner, is it convenient ?'

AuRavelling79

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2004, 08:31:32 pm »
I always knock first - but I immediately start cleaning a door or window thus giving the signal that I am assuming I am going ahead and cleaning their windows rather than asking for permission to do so. (After all we've already agreed to monthly/regular cleans when I started)

It also can save a bit of time too - especially with infirm customers who take a while getting to the door. Sometimes they'll pay there and then and you can go like Billy Whizz without feeling too guilty for finishing too quickly!  ;D

It's a game of three halves!