Leyla

Vans
« on: December 02, 2004, 06:07:41 pm »
Thank you so much for your help, you have given me the confidence to go ahead into this line of work, i cant wait to get started now  :D
Which van should i buy? ???
Do the water tanks take up a lot of space?
would a camper van do or is there not enough room?
also is there a window cleaning supplies shop (not B&Q) where i can go and look at the poles etc.

Giles
Reflections

Re: Vans
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2004, 09:08:11 am »
Giles,

If you would like to see the widest range of waterfed poles on the market you are welcome to visit our sales showroom in Wiltshire. where you can see our complete ranges of residential and commercial water fed poles, ie Glass fibre, Carbon fibre and the lightest pole the Ergo lite which is 36% lighter than standard universal poles.

My advice to you if you are considering putting a water tank into a van, purchase a crash tested system or put the water tank into a trailer, as in a accident the tank wont come through the bulk head and hurt you.

If you require further information on crash tested systems to FMVSS 208 Standard visit our web site www.ionicsystems.com and click on safety, or alternatively www.pure20.co.uk or mail me reuben@ionicsystems.com   

Leyla

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2004, 02:30:37 pm »
Thank you Reuben we will, can you give us the address? also i went on the site you recomended for a course but could not find the where, when and how much bit? :D
Reflections

WavieDavie

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2004, 10:44:30 pm »
Maybe you've got pop-ups disabled - try this . . . http://www.ionicsystems.com/pop/popinfo.html

I have to admit that I'm a wee bit confused - are you a Giles or Layla Tomlinson?
You're a Scottish window-cleaner? Licensed or not, get yourself along to www.slwcn.org right now !

Davie Park
Dalzell Window Cleaning Service - Edinburgh www.windowscleaner.co.uk

matt

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2004, 10:54:21 pm »
Maybe you've got pop-ups disabled - try this . . . http://www.ionicsystems.com/pop/popinfo.html

I have to admit that I'm a wee bit confused - are you a Giles or Layla Tomlinson?

cross dresser P.haps

in the day he is giles
at night she is Leyla

only joking

Leyla

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2004, 10:29:44 pm »
I'm Leyla, my husband is Giles, I change the settings not realising it would change past postings!
Sorry to dissapoint (cross dressing ;D)
I ask all the questions so thought it only fair that you should know that you are addressing a LADY :-*
Reflections

WavieDavie

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2004, 11:03:10 pm »
I'm Leyla, my husband is Giles, I change the settings not realising it would change past postings!
Sorry to dissapoint (cross dressing )
I ask all the questions so thought it only fair that you should know that you are addressing a LADY

No problem Leyla, I'd be cross if I had to wear a dress. (Yeah, bad joke, but it's late, and my cocoa's getting cold.)

Thank you so much for your help, you have given me the confidence to go ahead into this line of work, i cant wait to get started now 
That's the attitude - go for it!

Which van should i buy?
You've got to work out how much water you'll need to carry for a day's supply, remembering that you'll go through roughly 1 litre a minute per person - and more on initial cleans, then work out which van's payload will accomodate that. Including the weight of everything else, including yourselves. Perhaps a trip to the local weighbridge might be called for?

Do the water tanks take up a lot of space?
Well, back to basics - 1cc = 1 cubic centimetre - 1000cc = 1litre - 1 litre of water weighs 1 kilo or 2.2lbs

would a camper van do or is there not enough room?
A tank is a fairly cumbersome beast and you'd need one designed to accomodate the space in your campervan. Once it's in, it's IN. Your campervan is not now a campervan, but a holiday vehicle with no floorspace!

also is there a window cleaning supplies shop (not B&Q) where i can go and look at the poles etc.
Contact details of the main Water Fed Pole suppliers that I know about, in no particular order apart from alphabetically . . .

http://www.andwat.co.uk/acatalog/shop.html Southport, Merseyside
http://www.apspurewashsystems.com/ Leeds, West Yorkshire
http://www.brodexbms.co.uk/ Southport, Merseyside
http://www.cleantech.co.uk/ Kilmarnock, Ayrshire
http://www.gapswater.co.uk/c3249.html Rochdale, Lancashire
http://www.ionicsystems.com/english/index.html Lyneham, Wiltshire
http://www.omnipole.com Croydon, Surrey
http://www.pure20.co.uk/ Chippenham, Wiltshire
http://www.streamsupplies.net Stockton-on-Tees
http://www.window-tools.com/ Broxburn, West Lothian

But, if you cross my palm with silver, I could be persuaded to tell you who my favourite is! And also the one who was rather impolite to me on a BB and there's no way I would even . .  Ooops, I seem to have gone a bit too far on that one! Anyway, on the grounds of impartiality, they're in there anyway.

All the best - have fun!

You're a Scottish window-cleaner? Licensed or not, get yourself along to www.slwcn.org right now !

Davie Park

matt

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2004, 11:19:06 pm »
a trolley system would be great in a camper van (hope its a VW spiltty  ;))

you could load the trolley in, and them load in the 25 L barrels of pure water, you have a fair bit of floor space in camper's so that wouldnd be a problem (you would get 10 barrels in easy, not that you would need 10 barrels)

Leyla

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2004, 11:40:35 pm »
WOW!  if i had known the immediate and ever so helpful response i would get from you guys i would have changed to my name sooner! ;)
My biggest worry now is that its 11:30 at night and i'm up on the lap top again! Just looking up window cleaning stuff and becoming some weird addict, i not even cleaned a window yet. :-\
I have just spent half the afternoon up at Ionicsystems so i now know what a system looks like and how big the tanks are and roughly what sizes for what van, but they are very expensive so i'm going to work my way down your list except for the one that when i figure it out which one it is i wont go there ???
if you see what i mean

dont know how to do that quote thing here, so this bits for Matt.
Thank you, I have decided not to mix the 2 as it is all confusing enough at the moment. do you recommend trolley systems generaly?
Reflections

WavieDavie

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2004, 12:07:10 am »
but they are very expensive so i'm going to work my way down your list except for the one that when i figure it out which one it is i wont go there
if you see what i mean

I do, but you'd have to be a real webferret to know who I meant - put it down to a clash of personalities with me, but they might be just great for you - you never know!

dont know how to do that quote thing here, so this bits for Matt.
Thank you, I have decided not to mix the 2 as it is all confusing enough at the moment. do you recommend trolley systems generaly?

I must admit I had some blinkers on there - I'd assumed you were already into window cleaning - go with Matt's suggestion for a trolley system. Excellent as a base to get you up and running, and much better if you're using a dual-purpose campervan. You can always rip the fittings out later and install a truckmount!  ;)

Davie Park

Leyla

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2004, 12:17:48 am »
Just finished going through them all, i really dont know why one system is 1500 and another is 4000 for the same size tank?
you have 5 stars, do you know?
i understand the difference in the actual poles but if the systems all pump and purify the required amount of water why the huge price differences?
 :P this is starting to drive me up the wall now, i might just buy a sqeegee and bucket!
Reflections

WavieDavie

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2004, 12:48:46 am »
Just finished going through them all, i really dont know why one system is 1500 and another is 4000 for the same size tank?
you have 5 stars, do you know?

5 stars just means I'm a bit more gobby than some others, that's all  ;)

i understand the difference in the actual poles but if the systems all pump and purify the required amount of water why the huge price differences?
An analogy could be between preferring a Volvo to a Mini. They'll both get you to the same place in roughly the same time. However, one might account for more in running costs, and also have had much more in Research and Development expended on it before it gets to the showroom. You pay for what you get in most instances.

this is starting to drive me up the wall now, i might just buy a sqeegee and bucket!
You'll need them anyway - some on these boards say they have gone completely WFP, but that's going to be a bit difficult when you're doing the insides! You could always offer a carpet-cleaning service after you've poured multi-litres of water on their best Wilton.  :o

Let me know your email by filling in a bit more of your profile, or by clicking on my profile to get mine. You can always send me a Private/Instant Message from my profile too, this remains a contact only through these boards, you don't need to disclose your email at all, but attachments won't get through. I can send you some helpful information on starting up, if you need it. Some of it might work for you, some might not.

I've got to say goodnight now - my alarm's set for 6am.

Ooop, to get to anyone's profile - click on their username over on the left. Or goto the member's section and find them there.

Davie Park

matt

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2004, 07:42:26 pm »
i love my Trolley (started off using a backpack)

i built my own, and i belive i saved a load of money

Unger Pole and angle neck --- 70

Trolley, pump box, brush, Battery and 12 containers -- 420

100 gal RO with DI --- 100 (ive seen a 50 Gal for 60 quid)

water butt to store water --- 25 (soon to be doubled in size, ie 2 of them :), i built a stand out of timber to sit the tank on)

hosepipe and reel and 5 mm pipe and connections --- 30

total cost --- 645 quid

sure the Unger pole isnt the lightest, the RO is only 100 Gal a day, its on 24 hours a day for 3 days and does the job, I use it for 8 hours work a day, 3 days a week

all the other bits are the same as every1 else uses

the results i get are as good as the more expensive systems, afterall its all the same PURE WATER

i use a Passat estate car, load in 6 Barrels of water, my Trolley and a 3 X 2m Unger pole with Brush and away i go

too be honest, i am well chuffed with it, it was fairly cheap, and does the job well

matt

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2004, 07:44:48 pm »

My biggest worry now is that its 11:30 at night and i'm up on the lap top again!

now the perv in me wants to ask, does this involve a pole ?? ??  :-[ :P

Leyla

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2004, 09:15:19 pm »
unger or ionic?  ;D
Reflections

matt

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2004, 07:32:46 pm »
mines a unger  :o :o

but any pole will do  ;D ;D

righty-oh, think i shall leave it now, as your hubby might wrap it around my neck   :D :D

i was going to crack a joke about my own pole, but thought the better of it

anyways. back to the matter in hand (not in the pervy sence)

as posted above, my WFP set up cost under 650 quid and works great, will fit in a Camper van and is fully portable

if you need any more info (like where i got the bits from etc) just IM me