Hand Care - Help
« on: November 23, 2004, 07:15:31 pm »
Hi,

Since I've been a window cleaner I've always had dry and cracked hands.  I'm not a water fed pole user and normally I used a good squirt of the green stuff, then changed to Unger fluid because I thought this would be kinder to my skin.

However, I've had a severe outbreak of eczema, seen the doctor and now using various creams to sort my sore hands out.

I was also using Unger gloves - but I found these made my hands sweat and uncomfortable (although they were fine last year).

So - at present - I'm using rubber gloves with cotton inners that I change every hour or so for a dry pair.  I'm also using an emolument cream and a strong steriod ointment.

Has anyone any tips for hand care to prevent my hands getting into this state again?

My missis, who works with me, has no problem with her hands - but I reckon that's down to evolution providing women with genetically better skin resistance to detergents.  Their hands also fit better into cups when washing them and they have smaller feet enabling them to stand closer to the sink.

martin19842

Re: Hand Care - Help
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2004, 11:35:27 pm »
hi there,

cant remember the technical name for this, but bacically your use of the same chemical, means that you have got an intolerance to this, irrelevent of what you are using.

i would suggest latex gloves, the ides being to keep skin dry or barriered from the solution.

it might be dermatitus (probably spelt wrong)

regards

martin

Mikey Y

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2004, 06:51:09 am »
Hi are you using washing up liquid? if so it may be the problem, I have had trouble in the past but since using either Unger green, or GG4 have have no trouble.

Mike
Spain

sinbad

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2004, 09:42:20 pm »
try Hc45 from boots ,  does it for me ,

sair

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2004, 06:11:43 pm »
i have had a similar problem for years.  Finally solved it by using Seal Skins gloves purchased from Soap National.  They're more expensive than Unger gloves but worth the price as they are breathable, completely waterproof and won't tear.

Hope this helps
Essentially Pure Ltd

Duke

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2004, 07:48:31 pm »
I'm now using Diver's neoprene gloves and hand cream/moisturiser...seems to work for me..and stops my hands getting black off of the aluminium pole...wish I'd gone for carbon fibre or fibre glass now...oh well, steep learning curve I guess.Plus..the ally pole can get a tad cold to hold on these crispy mornings we are enjoying.. :-\