DJC Clean

Windows above porches and extended garages
« on: November 18, 2004, 10:15:07 am »
I`m taking over a round in two weeks. The problem I have is cleaning windows which are above porches or extended garages. There is no way you can safely pitch a ladder and all other cleaners do is just climb up on the roof and walk on the tiles. Is there a safer easier way to do this.

harks

Re: Windows above porches and extended garages
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 11:15:57 am »
its tricky working on your own if youve got no-one to foot the ladder.if im on my own i leave them off and explain to the customer that i cant do them and pehaps knock some money off.

Ian_Giles

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 02:25:20 pm »
It really rather depends on the pitch of the roof and the type of tiles.
I guess that in so far as health and safety is concerned, walking up a tiled roof is a real no no.
Depending yet again on circumstances, you can often extend your ladder up along the the tiles, but you often need either someone footing the ladder for you, a nice soft lawn to plunge your ladder into or a convenient car you can use for a giant wedge ;D

Obviously there is WFP, but I presume you do not have that, so it all depends on the individual account and the level of risk you are prepared to take.
If it is too dangerous then leave it and explain why to your customer.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

martin19842

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004, 02:58:34 pm »
ive just got an optiloc pole, as we are having a few problems with the HSE  on building sites,

that might be an alternative

regards

martin

PowerClene

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2004, 09:37:44 am »
Get a wfp system. Porches and conservatories are a breeze to bridge over and you won't fall using wfp.

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2004, 07:21:38 pm »
Ian is quite right in what he says, however, with some short porches - try to extend your ladder ABOVE the window.  Then you may have a safe working angle without coming into contact with the porch.

It might sound obvious - but it wasn't to me when I first started.

If you can't and the window is unsafe - don't do it.  Good communication with the customer (show them why it's dangerous) will resolve any problems you have with the account.

gaza

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2004, 07:46:15 pm »
I`m taking over a round in two weeks. The problem I have is cleaning windows which are above porches or extended garages. There is no way you can safely pitch a ladder and all other cleaners do is just climb up on the roof and walk on the tiles. Is there a safer easier way to do this.
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

leander

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2004, 01:43:37 am »
You might like to try a gizmo called Ladderfix Microlite. I bought mine soon after I started, for the very purpose of reaching windows above porches. It's so good it remains permanently fixed to my ladder. Similar to a conventional standoff but more versatile due to the rubber wheels. They are a little pricey but worth every penny!
 http://www.ladderstore.com/acatalog/LadderStore_com_Stays_and_Stand_Offs_54.html

billozz

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2004, 09:55:03 pm »
leander,
i have seen tat device and did wonder about how useful it might be, are you saying that using it you can have your ladder at a shllow angle and it wont slide, if so this would be great
regards
bill
there are more windows than window cleaners so lets help each other

robcooper

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2004, 11:16:38 pm »
Hi,
As most of the other posts state, if its too risky don't do it! it ain't worth the risk for a few quid. I'd rather lose the job than fall off. At present if i can't reach i tend to use a paint roller extension, not as quick or as good but you can applicate, blade and then wrap a scrim around it to get the worst off.

Old_Master

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2004, 01:28:13 pm »

;D ;)