tightswerve

My part-time earnings
« on: November 13, 2004, 05:31:01 pm »
Hi All!

I have been window cleaning part-time for a year now, I earn about £60-70 a weekend fri/sat.

I have enough work for the spare time available to me(have wife,son,golf2 play and dog) at the moment.

What I'm fishing for if it's not too rude? Is what kind of money do you guys make either with ladders like myself or WFP,s on full-time basis...?

I fully understand if you feel it to personal a question?  :-X

I am 42 and my full time job could be gone in a year or 2 as the company are looking to use cheap labour by moving to the Pacific Rim!  :'(

Steve Wright  ;)

pjulk

Re: My part-time earnings
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2004, 11:08:54 pm »
How many hours do you work fri/sat as £60-70 for a weekend is pretty poor.

Price's vary from area to area and how much you want to earn but £15 - £20 per hour is common

Ian_Giles

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2004, 09:08:22 am »
If you get your pricing right it can return a good wage, 15k and upwards. How much further up depends on the individual.
If you had a full round and were earning less than that you would be doing something wrong.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

tightswerve

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2004, 10:00:15 am »
I usually work 4-5 hours on Friday and just an hour or 2 on Saturday!

Not setting the world alight i know but if i take to much on i will only end up letting people down.

Steve Wright

pjulk

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2004, 03:35:32 pm »
You still getting £10 and hour
£400 per week if you build it up full time better than what a lot of jobs pay.
And plus the more you do it the quicker you get and the more money you can earn

marcinos

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2004, 07:46:02 pm »
in north london for a rookie like me u can get about 100 a day using a ladder  :'( with wfp i dont know yet, but will get one soon and let u know ;)

tightswerve

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2004, 08:17:33 pm »
Thanx for info so far guys!  ;)

Keep it coming in.It may be be of use for other part-timers and rookies like myself.

I imagine you old hands organise your work a bit better than myself?I seem to hop about from one end of town to another  :( waste a lot of time!

Steve Wright

zeontech

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2004, 09:21:26 pm »
hi,

i'm only working part time due to my commitments with my religion, and i'm using ladders, earning around £15/hour, but i'm moving over to a pole system because i should earn £30/hour+ with one and still only work part time, i'll be able to build up my round too, are you thinking of getting a pole system?

Jamie
Cleaning up the world one window at a time

WavieDavie

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2004, 03:24:13 pm »
I imagine you old hands organise your work a bit better than myself?I seem to hop about from one end of town to another   waste a lot of time!

Salesmen call it "territory management" - I call it being tight! Nobody pays you for lost time or extra diesel. Well they do overall, but you know what I mean!

If you have jobs close-ish to each other which you do on different days, just tell some of them that you'll be back on a different day (to suit you!) the next time and then regular as clockwork after that. I can guarantee that hardly any of them will bother at all, so long as you turn up when you say you will.

Remember, don't ask them how they'd feel, or would it be OK if you change their day, just tell them quite matter-of-fact that you'll be back on a different day. It's your business and they fit in wherever is best for you.

We tell new customers that while we'll be there ASAP for their first clean, it probably won't be exactly four weeks till we return, but we'll fit them into our schedule and once they're in they can rely on us.

Works for us!
You're a Scottish window-cleaner? Licensed or not, get yourself along to www.slwcn.org right now !

Davie Park
Dalzell Window Cleaning Service - Edinburgh www.windowscleaner.co.uk

marcinos

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2004, 11:07:24 pm »
hi stevo
i got exatcly the same problem. cos i am building my round sometimes i work only 5 from 8 hours a day. i ve realised how much time i waste geting from 1 to another. dave is right, customers dont mind if u come later as long as u reliable. if u got only few customers on one street make some noise that they can hear u there, smile a lot and few house wifes ask u for quote. good luck ;)

tightswerve

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2004, 06:32:42 pm »
'using ladders, earning around £15/hour, but i'm moving over to a pole system because i should earn £30/hour+ with one'

Is Jamie a little optimistic..? 

And yes Jamie a pole system is on the cards in the new year and if what you say is true i best jump to it! 

Steve Wright   

Colin_Glenn

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2004, 09:10:37 am »
First, Jamie don't get depressed if in the begining you don't double your money. I have been using a WFP now for almost 6 months and I still havn't doubled my money. I have increased by about £5 - £7 per hour but as I have to do down stairs with the traditional method due to water shortages with a small car I feel that is really a good increase. As I get better I am able to do upstairs more quickly with less water and so at the end of the day I have water left over so I do downstairs with WFP as well. During this time I increase by another £5 per hour. So that says a lot. On wednesday I did an 8 hour day with ladders in 6 1/2 hours with WFP.  ;D

Second, I agree absolutely about customers not minding if you are late occasionaly. If you are regular and trustworthy they will wait a week or two. Because of a holiday and the fact I pulled a muscle in my neck when I slipped while lifting a barrel I am now almost 4 weeks late. I just put notes through my customers doors explaining and appologising for the delay. I have done this before and they always appreciate it.

Colin
Transparent Weather Exclusion Systems Technician.

PowerClene

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2004, 09:33:19 am »
Hi Steve,

No, Jamie isn't being optomistic at all. November is my second full month using wfp and my forecast income for this month is £2,194. Of course with another 10 days to go, I'll probably add another £200 or so to that.

Mind you, not all of this is cleaning windows. I'm doing very well with fascia and soffit and conservatory cleans too. However, if you price your jobs right, you can easily earn £30 per hour with wfp. You have to make sure that you aren't wasting time travelling either. Initially you'll have no choice as you will only have a few customers to service but, as your round builds, you become more and more productive every day (and you get better using the equipment too).

There's a lot of money to be made window cleaning. How much is entirely up to you!

Regards,

Paul

UBA1

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2004, 02:25:26 pm »
Been cleaning windows for six years, and depending on pricing, my hourly rate with an established round is £25-35 per hour (squeegee/applicator), sometimes more....I`ve just moved house and am establishing a new round, so for first time cleans i`ll probably bang out £15-20 per hour, and in 3/4 months be back earning in and around £30 again.

I`m going to use WFP in the future, but their not brilliant in all circumstances, i`ve tried one on my mates round and he`s banging  £40-50 per hour on certain areas....Some house ain`t worth using `em for, i find their better on Semis and detached houses, where they`re ain`t too much fence hoping....

tightswerve

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2004, 11:20:34 am »
It's great to see such good earnings to be had with some hard work and organising your selves...!  :)
Glad i'm not out there today it's wet and cold here.  :(

Thanks 4 input guys  ;)

Steve Wright

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2004, 11:42:16 am »
All these £££££££ signs making me dizzt remember the good old tax man could be using this for bedtime reading........5,10,15 pound and hour be careful.

tightswerve

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2004, 05:04:47 pm »
What r u saying not all earnings r disclosed...?  ???

Heaven forbid..!    :o

matt

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2004, 10:38:50 pm »
What r u saying not all earnings r disclosed...?  ???

Heaven forbid..!    :o

;D :D :P

gaza

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2004, 06:29:24 pm »
IM THE TAX INSPECTOR YOUR ACCOUNTANT WARNED U ABOUT HA HA HA ;D
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

tightswerve

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2004, 01:44:30 pm »
Well it would appear there is plenty of money to be made..!

The fact that only a few of u guys has told me about your earnings tells me a lot! As lots have people have said nothing speaks volumes!  ;D
Hey but thats cool!If lots of people were shouting there mouth off about huge potential earnings i would be a little sceptical.  ???

Steve Wright