david wood windows

wfp residential setup
« on: October 13, 2004, 01:36:39 pm »
hi just been looking on ionics site at there residential pole system what i need any info to wether i could carry a small water container in the car instead of useing the customers inside/outside tap .thank you

Rob_B

Re: wfp residential setup
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 02:44:28 pm »
I think that residential systems require the pressure from the tap to pump the water up the pole. If you carried your own water you would need a pump.

david wood windows

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 02:54:52 pm »
thanks for that m8 do you think its possible to get a pump to work ok on that. and any ideas on pump prices all i need it for is for hard to reach windows etc

empire_cleaning

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2004, 04:39:12 pm »
on this topic: do any other residential window cleaners have the whole setup, i.e van/filtration system/poles if so how do you get on with the whole thing?

I do only residential work and have been investigating a van mounted 650ltr system and have been worried about it not been pratical for this sort of work, that is moving the van all the time and trailing hoses.

I would be interested to hear what other residential window cleaners do.

Thanks

Rob_B

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2004, 06:54:55 pm »
david,

Pumps are about £100, and then you will need a battery to power the pump. Then you will have the problem of fitting to your residential system. I would suggest a trolley system.

the same to you Empire Cleaning. I can use my system like a van mount by using a hose out the back of the car, but moving between houses is a pain and I just get my trolley out.

I am not biased because I don't know what other trolley systems are like but I bought the aquatec trolley www.window-tools.com. The reason I did this is that all the components come off the trolley and you can use these for a van mount system when you upgrade later on. You would just need a tank. You also get the filtration system and poles.

david wood windows

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2004, 08:03:30 pm »
ok thanks a lot for the info rob

Glen

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2004, 12:24:34 pm »
Having looked at many systems, I, like others, am confused due to the array of WFP systems.

I want to keep the cost to a minimum and not have to go and buy a van. I inherit my cars from my wife and currently have a 1.5 Diesel Corsa and don't want to get rid of it as I have kids who need a rear seat so I was thinking /i] about a trolley system towed in a trailer behind the car.

I condense my work into 1.5-2 weeks a month working 10-11 hours per day, daylight permitting.

90% would be residential and the remainder shops.
My customers are spread out so I cover 40 - 50 miles a day.I live in a hard water area.

Bearing in mind all of the the above I have the following questions:

1)  Would a trolley system be most suitable? If so, which is best? I have looked at the Cleantech, Aquatech and Omnitrolley systems.

2)What sort of trailer should I be looking for to carry the trolley system and one of those new Guttersuckers?
The Corsa payload is about 450kg.

Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Glen.

karlosdaze

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2004, 07:27:45 pm »
The aquatech can be used/fit in the back of a car with 4 x 25litre containers, maybe more if you arrange properly.

Duke

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2004, 03:47:15 pm »
I mostly use (all domestic) an omnitrolley, originally from the back of my old Rover 216, with the seats down, so it's like a van, but more recently I put it into the back of a little Peugeot 106 diesel. The trolley rarely comes out on the job as such. (so I take the handle off to save space)
I pull it forward to refill it from the water containers I also carry. I strap it down with a cargo strap to keep it stable whilst on the move...
To do the job, I just take out the 24 foot pole (kept in some adapted soil pipe attached to the roof bars) , which has an extended 35 metre hose (buy a roll from B&Q), and basically turn on the pump and walk around the job, cleaning.(pinch the pipe in 2 with your fingers to save water between windows...it stops the pump)
 Later on I'm going to get a larger van and have a truck mounted system...but it really isn't necessary at this time...and I still make about £20-£25 an hour...does me anyway.
We also recently invested in the backpack...it's ok, a little uncomfortable to wear for long, but it's no problem just to slip it off and rest it on the ground while you are working...hope this is of some use... :)

AuRavelling79

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2004, 09:09:07 am »
Thanks for that Duke - I run a 91' Honda Accord 5 dr Estate (The only Accord estate in Bristol I reckon!) plus towbar which is similar in proportion to a Mondeo Estate. (When I replace it will likely be a similar size car.)

I do want to go for WFP either a trailer or trolley - being 3/4 residential I'm leaning towards trolley - or should I bite the bullet and  go for more commercial?

How much water could I safely carry in the back? 100 litres? In multiples of 25? Extra 75litres in rear seat compartment with seat belts around drums? If the belts restrain a 50pluskilo adult why not a 25kilo drum?

If so then 175 litres = 175kg = 385lbs plus battery poles trolley - say 1/4 tonne - Is this OK?

Then at 15litres per average regularly cleaned semi (is that right?) that = 11/12 houses in - how long?

Lotsa Q's - thanks in advance - any help gratefully received.

MalcG of the "I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure" class!
It's a game of three halves!

Ian_Giles

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2004, 01:23:09 pm »
Hi Malc (once more ;))
I have just posted a reply to another of your posts that kind of relate to the questions you just posted in your reply on this posting ;D
You can either go for a trailer system, approx 2 grands worth (depending what you go for) or a trolley system, £1350 & upwards.

I wouldn't put water containers on your back seat though, drop the rear seats and with an estate of that size I would have thought you could get away with at least 200l or so.

Or get hold of a cheap trailer to lug your water around with, you have a tow hitch so you are half way there ;D

The biggest drawback.....no, maybe not the biggest, but it is a big drawback, is that you will have a lot of water dripping and leaking, it happens, you won't avoid it, your car can fairly hum like an old wet mattress if you ain't careful :-\

Although I intend to upgrade to a van shortly, I may get hold of an old trailer myself just to carry the water around in so I can keep the car dry.

Length of time it takes to clean a 3 bed semi (first clean notwithstanding) should take no more than 10 minutes or so actual cleaning time.
If it is a stand alone account (I have several) then a 15 minute turnaround is possible, ie, pulling up, unloading, cleaning, reloading & collecting or invoicing.

The smaller the account, the less difference in time obviously, so much so that on the small accounts you gain nothing in time taken, but it is still safer, easier and a better job.

On any houses with georgian windows the time difference is huge, it's so easy and quick with WFP.

Gotta go! Must pay some Wonga into the bank!! ;D

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

Duke

Re: wfp residential setup New
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2005, 06:08:00 pm »
yeah, the water drips and stuff can be a problem , especially in a car or un-speedlined van etc, but what I did was to get a large plastic tarp from B&Q and fold it in half or so and 'fit' it all round the back of the car (now van) and let the sides stick up a few inches...any small puddles I just mop up with an old tea towel and wring it out. I can easily carry 250 litres of water, including a full trolley load in the back...just don't drive like a boy racer until the water weight has been at least half used. Lol. This is enough for a day's work/earnings. Of course, the flow rate is adjustable on the trolley...trial and error....you don't need to pressure wash the windows...just enough to wash and rinse...lasts a lot longer too. It should pump out in slow spurts. 24 foot pole on roof bars in tube...little one inside....it's a tidy little system, great for domestic use ! (extend the tubing as well (mines 35 metres) then there's rarely any need to get the trolley out on the job....just top it up as and when from the spare 25 litre containers....if you feel like a long day...no hassle to pop back and reload....say lunchtime ?...whatever....

Don't worry too much about the weight as long as it's evenly distributed....ever given three fat blokes a lift ? I'll bet they weigh more !