Mike Banks

High Fuel Prices Mean More Price Rises
« on: February 24, 2022, 01:42:13 pm »
Going to do it again, if customers don't like it or can't afford it, fair enough, but I can no longer justify covering up all this inflation  our end.

With today's crazy Russian antics, I can see fuel doubling very soon.  Feel sorry for those with Diesel heaters.   We are a business not  charity - So I keep telling myself  ;D

NBwcs

Re: High Fuel Prices Mean More Price Rises
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2022, 02:14:05 pm »
Our industry has survived the credit crunch and actually prospered during covid but the present set of circumstances with cost of living as it is without the forthcoing enivetable price hikes to come could be the biggest test for us yet.  I've not been badly effected yet but a colleague of mine has lost about10 jobs already this year.

alank

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2022, 02:28:51 pm »
I put the prices up last year so won't be putting any existing customers prices up this year. Any new work that I price will be getting a higher price than I would usually give. If they agree with the price then good I will take them on if they don't it's no loss .

KS Cleaning

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2022, 02:46:42 pm »
Get those prices up lads, the RPI is currently 7.9%, as a consequence I am raising prices every 2 years instead of every 3 years.

zesty

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2022, 02:54:23 pm »
It’s going to be interesting, we are generally recession proof, but this is inflation. Uncharted territory for many of us.

It will mean people can’t afford the luxury’s.

NWH

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2022, 03:51:57 pm »
Unless they are minted.

G Griffin

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2022, 04:25:06 pm »
Fuel prices are rising and it's costing a lot more for what I normally Put in at the pumps.
And my income is down because of all the UK rain.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

NWH

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2022, 05:39:28 pm »
You can’t worry about what you can’t control like past recessions etc I’ve come through about 3 of em unscathed but worried about it all the same,see what happens month by month people will still want their windows cleaning you just need to have more work than you can shake a pole at and you’ll be fine.

EandM

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2022, 05:55:03 pm »
Unless they are minted.

Exactly that.

Most of my target customers are considerably richer than me...not that that's difficult.

NWH

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2022, 06:08:24 pm »
I can understand people worrying if they have 100s of couples that go out to work everyday and struggle to break even at the end of the month,I gave up bothering with jobs like that in the early 2000s they are the customers that will kill you during hard times because the windows will be one of the first things to go.
Face to face and knowing your customers helps massively during times ahead,people will cancel in a heartbeat if there’s no customer-service relationship imo a quick email and you’re gone seen it so many times over the years technology brilliant for some things dreadful for others.

SB Cleaning

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2022, 06:09:34 pm »
When I started up in 2010 i remember fuel at £1.50 litre , just after the recession..

As said above we can't do nothing about it , just get your heads down and clean some windows  and hope for the best.

dazmond

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2022, 06:56:27 pm »
Going to do it again, if customers don't like it or can't afford it, fair enough, but I can no longer justify covering up all this inflation  our end.

With today's crazy Russian antics, I can see fuel doubling very soon.  Feel sorry for those with Diesel heaters.   We are a business not  charity - So I keep telling myself  ;D

Really?I do very little mileage and only work 25-30 hours a week....I also have a diesel heater.....an extra £20 a week is easily affordable even if fuel prices double.....I doubt they will though....

Your being hysterical or your just not earning enough in the first place for your lifestyle.....I'm not raising any prices this year....
price higher/work harder!

KS Cleaning

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2022, 07:16:16 pm »
You can’t worry about what you can’t control like past recessions etc I’ve come through about 3 of em unscathed but worried about it all the same,see what happens month by month people will still want their windows cleaning you just need to have more work than you can shake a pole at and you’ll be fine.
?

robbo333

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2022, 07:23:43 pm »
With the current situation, I think fuel prices will rise ( I will be surprised if there isn't a fuel shortage).

I have already had 1 cancellation due to the increase in electric and gas prices (I think this is a genuine cancellation too).

I am putting up some prices in April and expecting some customers to cancel (we'll see how it goes).

I'm overloaded with work, so this year I was going to take a break from leafletting etc, but I think I may, now, have to do some more.
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

Mike Banks

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2022, 07:48:48 pm »

Really?I do very little mileage and only work 25-30 hours a week....I also have a diesel heater.....an extra £20 a week is easily affordable even if fuel prices double.....I doubt they will though....

Your being hysterical or your just not earning enough in the first place for your lifestyle.....I'm not raising any prices this year....

Think you're missing the point.  Have you never raised any prises when the need arises, such as inflation to business costs and to cost of living  ?  Or do you just make less profit as your money loses value?   

NWH

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2022, 07:55:53 pm »
?

Sorry m8 what I mean is I try not to worry about it anymore I know it’s human nature but like I said what will be will be.

james peters

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2022, 10:10:49 pm »
we should never be stagnant anyway, we should always be moving foreward gaining more customers .
Its often mentioned on here how we build and  refine , ie ... replace  lesser paid work with new work ....
so for this wave of uncertainty , instead of getting rid of the lesser paid work, I am going to prioritise .
instead of getting rid I will keep and just do once I have completed my best work .

upselling is next .  upsell render cleaning and gutter cleaning . (I hate gutter cleaning ) but it can easily replace  a mornings window cleaning .
one render clean that takes a morning to complete more than covers a day on the glass .
just gotta keep plugging away.

the other thing not to fall into the trap of second guessing  peoples income . the media likes to scare people , and will focus on low income families .
there are a lot of very rich customers out there .
I dont see that they have turned their hot tubs off yet ,
mine costs about £15 per week to keep on , I have used it 3 times this winter , so I have turned it off until the warmer months .
just keep plugging away

dazmond

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2022, 08:58:23 am »

Think you're missing the point.  Have you never raised any prises when the need arises, such as inflation to business costs and to cost of living  ?  Or do you just make less profit as your money loses value?

I usually raise prices every 2 or 3 years....my last one was 2020 just before lockdown...I'm leaving any rises until next year....

You do what you want but are you saying your raising prices twice in one year?
price higher/work harder!