Rogga

Recruiting
« on: February 21, 2022, 06:52:00 pm »
Hi everyone.
I have to conduct 3 separate interviews on Thursday and Friday in order to find the one full time staff member we need. I don't have much experience in this type of thing. Always been a bit lucky in the past finding friends of friends, that type of thing. Now its the formal approach. Are there specific questions or criteria that may help me from at least looking the novice i am and help me find a decent person. I understand that these things arent foolproof but im interested in any contribution.
Many thanks

NWH

Re: Recruiting
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2022, 07:37:53 pm »
I would firstly get them to send me a CV I don’t know if you’ve done this but I would these days saves a bit of time.

Rogga

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2022, 07:42:48 pm »
Ive got CVs from the candidates through Indeed. This is where the response came from.

Mike Burd

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2022, 07:51:03 pm »
Question them on their previous jobs. Ask why they left. Ensure they are straight about it. Ask about outdoor activities. Do they like being outside. Ask about responsibilities. Mortgage, kids etc. people with responsibilities are more reliable.

Be conversational. Chat. Make sure you like them. Are they likely to be independent and resourceful?

All you can do is minimise risk.

Ched

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2022, 08:02:58 pm »
Ask open questions, i.e. ones that can't be answered yes or no.
Ask them what they think the job entails, what strengths and weaknesses do they bring to the job?
Ask them why you should employ them.

NWH

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2022, 08:17:57 pm »
If you finish at 3 make sure at the start they think you work till 4.

CleanClear

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2022, 08:37:18 pm »
If you finish at 3 make sure at the start they think you work till 4.

This is a very good point. I used to tell my lads to start at 9am, but i started at 8am, when they rang to see where i was then i told them. They would come along and catch me up, then i would dock half a days pay for being late. You can confuse them easy by telling them wrong start and finish times , its quite easy.
*Status*--------Currently Online---------

Rogga

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2022, 06:11:26 pm »
Thanks folks. Some really good points. I will be using most of these.. cheers

NWH

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2022, 06:53:31 pm »
Yeah I wasn’t joking about the hours add an hour or so on the earlier you finish the earlier they’ll be getting twitchy and start thinking about going home,when there’s 2  of you 3 is early imo.