nathankaye

So going back to trad
« on: May 11, 2020, 07:24:28 pm »
So, as you all know, I have left a little trad work for myself which can quite easily be done in a day.my old scrims I would use periodically for the odd bungalow that I trad cleaned sometimes. Mostly to keep the skill up. Yet they are in a bad state as not used much in last 5 yrs and so I have just ordered a couple more.

Hiwever the options on scrims and cloths has greatly increased since I last ordered or looked.  So for the ones who still trad, do you still use grade A scrims for the odd detailing or the microfibre / fishscale type ones?  Or are they more for wet cloths
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

simon w

Re: So going back to trad
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 07:30:25 pm »
Yellow multi purpose micro fibres from Costco  36 in a pack for sill clothes wiping frames etc and pre washed scrim from window cleaning warehouse for glass detailing they'll work better after a few machine washes.

Good luck with the trad methods rather you than me  ;D

NWH

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 07:51:24 pm »
Get a hot system 🤣🤣🤣

mjm

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 07:55:05 pm »
Nathan I do inside work etorre Only  tools change blade quick too.  Also prewashed scrims  for me

Smudger

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2020, 07:55:36 pm »
Of course - every customer has a hot tap in the kitchen - even up' north  :o

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

nathankaye

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2020, 08:13:38 pm »
Yellow multi purpose micro fibres from Costco  36 in a pack for sill clothes wiping frames etc and pre washed scrim from window cleaning warehouse for glass detailing they'll work better after a few machine washes.

Good luck with the trad methods rather you than me  ;D

Cheers.    Yep, i used microfibre cloths even for wfp work for the odd wipe down or pink stuff on a frame. 
So im right in thinking that scrims are still bmthe best thing to use for detailing around the windows.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

nathankaye

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2020, 08:18:56 pm »
Get a hot system 🤣🤣🤣

Funny enough, back in my former trad days. I used to fill a couple of 25ltr drums with boiling water from the bathroom tap and threw them in the boot with a heavy blanket over the top. Certainly helped with the cold starts etc.
On the plus side, i dont care what the tds is anymore 😂😂
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

the king

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2020, 09:55:59 pm »
i find grade a scrims a pain they leve lintles on the glass cant beat microfiber i get mine from wilko

dazmond

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2020, 10:23:31 pm »
unger grade A pre washed scrim is what i use...its just the best detailing cloth out there IMO....ive used various microfibre glass cloths too but they are not as absorbent as scrim (esp on a wet day)....

scrim is king for detailing around the windows......
price higher/work harder!

CleanClear

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2020, 10:34:25 pm »
I've never "detailed", never got the whole idea of it. Wipe up bottom yes, but never edges or tops. So i use the Costco microfibres.
*Status*--------Currently Online---------

dazmond

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2020, 10:37:22 pm »
my trad work is less than 5% of my work these days however i still use scrims everyday for cleaning/wiping dry the top frames/seals of ground floor problem windows on some parts of my round........

i also use the towelling variety of microfibres that you can get from pound /discount shops for cleaning sills,cleaning my hose when im reeling in and cleaning my pole hose when im putting my pole back in the van.....so cloths are still an important part of my everyday cleaning schedule.....
price higher/work harder!

j timms

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2020, 11:08:38 pm »
If u pick up the edges properly why detail?

Simon Trapani

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2020, 10:21:58 am »
Unger microwipes for me for the small bit of trad we do now. Stopped using scrims years ago. Boiling them first and all that.

NWH

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2020, 10:55:36 am »
On the rubber side I used to swear by Ettore soft but I much prefer the Razor red when it’s a good batch,much much better to use last ages far less lines left as I find them to be the perfect texture.
I’ve had 1 of those rubbers in for months and months and it cleans as well if not better than a new softer rubber.

nathankaye

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2020, 11:37:47 am »
On the rubber side I used to swear by Ettore soft but I much prefer the Razor red when it’s a good batch,much much better to use last ages far less lines left as I find them to be the perfect texture.
I’ve had 1 of those rubbers in for months and months and it cleans as well if not better than a new softer rubber.

Ive always used pulex hard rubber and was speaking to lee, who has bought my work as hes trad and he was saying about the red blades.  Hes gonna drop me some off to give a try.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Simon Trapani

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2020, 12:08:14 pm »
Unger Soft for me.

NWH

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2020, 12:15:32 pm »
Honestly I never thought I’d switch from soft till I tried those Razors 🪒 if you get a good Batch you won’t beat em,give em a go I think you’ll be surprised.

NWH

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2020, 12:18:13 pm »
Also if you must use a liquidator the red razor is the only one to clean with any sense,I don’t know why they put a soft rubber in them they jump about like a hooker that’s been let out of lockdown 🤣🤣

MrChurchMouse

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2020, 07:54:10 pm »
I use both scrims and microfibre cloths but I generally prefer the scrims as I find they are more absorbent and last a bit longer before getting too wet.  I also find them invaluable for the technique I use when cleaning leaded windows.  The hassle with them though is that initially you have to wash them/boil them or whatever or have a period of breaking them in if not during which stage they won't be very good.  It's also annoying that they come only in such large sizes so I have to cut them down sometimes.   Though I generally like them another issue is that in hot sunny weather they can sometimes be prone to leaving fibres or dust particles on the glass so if it's really warm I sometimes giver preference to the mircofibre cloths.   

In conclusion maybe mircofibre cloths are better in summer and scrims in winter (as the scrim is more absorbent and better able to handle the bad weather).         

NWH

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2020, 08:02:12 pm »
You think how much we used to use hand tools daily-weekly-monthly my goodness,I can go a couple of weeks without using any now when I do the odd few windows trad now I enjoy it.
When you look at it and compare it now it’s almost like we retired and took up another trade really,completely different.