jo5hm4n

One Off/Builders clean advice
« on: January 19, 2018, 05:52:46 pm »
Been asked by a large builders surveyor company to give them a quotation for a one off clean/builders on a large building, inside + out.  They have a cherrypicker on site that i can use for outsides.  thing is though, is it better to trad a big building for a one off, or would it be better to use wfp?  When i say better i mean, what will be quicker.  I don't have much experience with builders cleans at all.  I realise it all depends if there is cement/paint/render etc on the glass, but lets just say there wasnt and its just standard filthly windows, what would you do.  Use a cherrypicker with trad or wfp the outsides?

I rarely ever do commercial most of my work is domestic.  I want to put a quote in though, for the challenge of taking on a big job and trying something different and seeing how it goes.  How do you go about pricing on a big one off job.

My thoughts are to split up the building into sections, count all the windows, charge what i would normally per window set, double it as its a one off, then depending on what that figure is i may add more on for hassle and extra time wasted etc.  Also will factor in how dirty windows are ofcourse. 

I am not desperate at all for work, so if it looks like a real pita, then i will just put in a high price and then atleast if i do get the job, it's going to be a good earner.  Either way i'm not that bothered if i dont get it.

What would you charge per day on a commercial one off job to be happy with.

Bear in mind, i'm used to doing £200 a day solo wfp or £325 with 2 of us in winter time as an average day rate that i am comfortable with.

Cheers guys.

Marc Stock

Re: One Off/Builders clean advice
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 05:57:18 pm »
I would use a combination of both. Wfp and trad, basicly whatever it takes to get it clean.

You should be charging at least £600 a day imo which is around 3x your daily rate for easy work.

Slacky

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 06:00:48 pm »
If its a builders clean you won't get away with WFP. End of story.

Marc Stock

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 06:11:39 pm »
I would start with wfp get all the dust off etc. And detail trad

jo5hm4n

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 06:20:51 pm »
I will see the state that the windows are in tomorrow and know from that whether WFP will be acceptable or not, but i am gearing more towards trad as i know for sure that it can do a more thorough job on glass for one off/first cleans sometimes better than wfp.

See what happens tomorrow! :)

jo5hm4n

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 06:21:46 pm »
I would use a combination of both. Wfp and trad, basicly whatever it takes to get it clean.

You should be charging at least £600 a day imo which is around 3x your daily rate for easy work.

£600 a day sounds good to cover my backside really.  Just need to figure out how long the job will take roughly aswell and go from there.

jo5hm4n

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 06:23:50 pm »
Stupid question, but do i need any sort of license or training if me or the lads go up the cherrypicker?  Or would we be legally covered by my liability insurance.  I use Gleaming Insurance for my cover.

Never used one before and not done much commercial as i say so all new to me really.

dazmond

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 06:54:50 pm »
i personally wouldnt take the job on.....some jobs are just not worth it (whatever money you can get for it)

itll be hassle and very hard work and you ll probably need a day or two off to recover when its done!(which negates the money you might get for it!)

also a scratch waiver needs sorting or you could get accused of scratching/ruining the glass.....

....rather you than me mate!i like an easy life these days.... :)
price higher/work harder!

Marc Stock

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 06:56:50 pm »
Good point dazmond.

Day rate should go to 2 grand

P @ F

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 07:01:59 pm »
You wont be able to use the picker without a liscence , and operators are not cheap per day , find out if they are giving you a driver before you put a price in ,
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

jo5hm4n

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2018, 07:21:46 pm »
Good point dazmond.

Day rate should go to 2 grand

goodness me, might just put in for £10k and 3 days work and see what they come back with  ;D ;D ;D ;D

jo5hm4n

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2018, 07:22:06 pm »
You wont be able to use the picker without a liscence , and operators are not cheap per day , find out if they are giving you a driver before you put a price in ,

thats what i thought, il ask them tomorrow when i go in for the quote.  Thanks

jo5hm4n

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2018, 07:25:02 pm »
i personally wouldnt take the job on.....some jobs are just not worth it (whatever money you can get for it)

itll be hassle and very hard work and you ll probably need a day or two off to recover when its done!(which negates the money you might get for it!)

also a scratch waiver needs sorting or you could get accused of scratching/ruining the glass.....

....rather you than me mate!i like an easy life these days.... :)

Scratch Waiver!  Yes defo need to sort that.  I have 2 lads that work for me.  If i can price the job with high high profit, i might just send them to do it and pay them good money and ill carry on with the normal work.  One of my workers has done tons of big commercial jobs and builders and one off cleans.  He's worked contracts for hospitals and big estates in the past all by himself so i am confident in his ability.

I'll see what vibes im getting when i do the walk around tomorrow on site.

Easy life does sound good though, i think we should all aspire to be you Daz!!!

paul alan

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2018, 07:56:21 pm »
Is it the same email I had from Llandudno?? The convent!

Splash & dash

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2018, 08:44:03 pm »

£600 a day sounds good to cover my backside really.  Just need to figure out how long the job will take roughly aswell and go from there.

I doubt that they will pay anything near that , we did a quote for a large national house builder and they came back to me saying the maximum per house they would pay was £25 I laughed and said you will be lucky not intrested , that was for in and out on 3 bed semis , they also expected me to drop my regular work at short notice to do stuff for them , now I just refuse to Evan go and look at builders cleans wouldn’t do them at any price , they are more hassle than they are worth , and any scratches they will more than likely blame you and try and take the replacement cost# out of what they owe you , my advice would be walk away but if you do go ahead be very careful and don’t let them build up a large bill

jonboywalton75

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2018, 12:25:05 am »
Run Josh Run

rosskesava

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2018, 02:29:23 am »
What ever price you are thinking of, triple it.
Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

matthewprice

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2018, 07:11:25 am »
Did a new build house last month  they had covered 6 patio doors with plastic ,when removed left all the glue on the glass ,took over 3 hours to remove ,if you decide to price for job do a thorough inspection first .these jobs always take longer than you think

Steve Newres

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2018, 07:18:16 am »
We did one about two years ago that was also covered in glue residue. Nightmare. Unless you know what you’re doing, run a mile.

Tom-01

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2018, 08:20:37 am »
I've done builders cleans in the past, absolute nightmare.

The time you spend looking at it, quoting, sorting documents, buying stuff, worrying etc would be better spent canvassing for decent domestic work.