paul alan

how hard do you push the brush?
« on: November 26, 2017, 08:14:37 pm »
Was cleaning and was pushing pretty hard on the brush as usual and took a little pressure off for a minute and wandered if it would still be just as effective?

on a scale of 1-10 how much pressure would you say you put on the brush?

For comparison I prefer the gardiner's compact shorter bristle brush for general cleaning, but find the extreme natural bristle too soft so that gives an idea of how much pressure I use.

M & C Window Cleaning

Re: how hard do you push the brush?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 08:35:32 pm »
The Xtreme natural hybrid brush is perfect for me.  I use very little pressure unless scrubbing slug trails.  On upstairs I tend to let the weight of the pole do the job most of the time. 
We have a choice! We can do one or the other, the opposite, both, or neither depending on which way the wind is blowing.

Stoots

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 08:36:56 pm »
I scrub the hell out of it, just see the state of brushes, they get hammered.

Ive tried going light, always seem to leave the bug marks behind so i just go all in.

Shrek

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 09:00:51 pm »
I used to scrub the hell out of the windows until one day I was thinking about what someone on here said about it. He said something along the lines of - ‘ what are you actually scrubbing off the glass? The majority of it is just dust on the glass, so why do you need to go so hard on it?
As long as you’ve got good flow, I don’t think you’ll have any problems.

Simon Trapani

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 09:08:18 pm »
Probably a 3 out of 10 for me on a Gardiners super-lite dual trim flocked. Let the tips of the bristles do the work and get in all the gaps of the frame. You don't want it all splayed or you may as well have a sponge on the end. The more pressure the more wear and distortion.

Shrek

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 09:15:43 pm »
That’s why some people can use extreme brushes and just tickle the windows, not me though I use an ultimate medium brush

paul alan

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2017, 09:44:21 pm »
The brush isn't the only thing getting worn out!

Simon Trapani

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2017, 09:44:48 pm »
For me extreme brushes are for exactly that, extreme heights where every bit of weight loss counts. We clean mainly residential but do have one on a Super Max for 3rd & 4th floors. That's about as high as we can go with our poles.

Hate having splayed or distorted bristles. It's like using an old toothbrush. It's just a balance of wear with the cost of a new one though. Super-lites usually last us 3 months or so before we change.

Simon Trapani

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2017, 09:47:43 pm »
The brush isn't the only thing getting worn out!
Like in football you let the ball do the work, not run round like a headless chicken. Let the brush do the work. No point scrubbing like mad and wearing yourself out.

bobplum

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2017, 09:52:47 pm »
Universal stiff for me, let the brush do the work

paul alan

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2017, 09:53:44 pm »
I scrub the hell out of it, just see the state of brushes, they get hammered.

Ive tried going light, always seem to leave the bug marks behind so i just go all in.
that's what ive been doing, starting to wander why now though. its hard work.

Perfect Windows

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2017, 10:03:57 pm »
Was cleaning and was pushing pretty hard on the brush as usual and took a little pressure off for a minute and wandered if it would still be just as effective?

For comparison I prefer the gardiner's compact shorter bristle brush for general cleaning, but find the extreme natural bristle too soft so that gives an idea of how much pressure I use.

Soft brush, 2/10 pressure. Keep an eye out for anything stubborn, which gets 1/10 but fast (much more effective than pushing hard as you use the ends of the bristles).

The phrase I use is that I caress the dirt off the window.

Vin

paul alan

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2017, 10:13:40 pm »

Soft brush, 2/10 pressure. Keep an eye out for anything stubborn, which gets 1/10 but fast (much more effective than pushing hard as you use the ends of the bristles).

Vin
you use less pressure for more stubborn dirt?

I must be all back to front.

tom20001

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2017, 11:42:50 pm »
About 3/4 for me on regular cleans, bit stronger on new customers houses

Sometimes i feel like i might be bit too light   but no complaints

nathankaye

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2017, 11:46:09 pm »
Lol you all know what brush i use and how many jets plus combined with hot...... I do very little scrubbing. So its very light pressure but if it calls for a little extra those odd times then I apply a little bit more pressure.

I agree with one of the above posts about allowing the tips of the brush to do their thing rather than allowing the brush to splay.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Perfect Windows

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2017, 07:37:19 am »

Vin
you use less pressure for more stubborn dirt?

I must be all back to front.

I use the tips of the bristles and agitate the brush very quickly.  Does the job better than hammering down on it, in my experience.

Vin

dazmond

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2017, 08:37:06 am »
depends whats on the window in the first place.if its lots of snail trails,bug spots,sticky pollen etc then they get scrubbed hard.if their pretty clean without the above dirt then a quick tickle. ;D

i also spend time scrubbing corners of frames if they have spiders eggs nestled in there.

price higher/work harder!

Marc Stock

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2017, 08:48:52 am »
You don't want to push too hard or you will splay the bristles and thats very inefficient.

You want to let the bristles do the job really. If i have stubborn dirt i use a touch of bio powder and scrub that in and let those enzymes work thier magic.

dazmond

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2017, 08:57:20 am »
You don't want to push too hard or you will splay the bristles and thats very inefficient.

You want to let the bristles do the job really. If i have stubborn dirt i use a touch of bio powder and scrub that in and let those enzymes work thier magic.

i couldnt be bothered messing about with washing powder/liquid while im doing my regular window cleaning.

the truth is if you dont scrub hard and rinse well on some windows they wont be very clean when they ve dried
price higher/work harder!

dd

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2017, 01:06:32 pm »
I tend to let the weight of the pole apply pressure to the brush and not to apply much extra pressure myself.

For me most brushes splay too easily. It is more effective to let the bristle tips clean the glass.