8weekly

Cancelling tomorrow's work - today!
« on: November 20, 2016, 06:32:28 pm »
A local window cleaning firm I follow on Facebook have posted that they've cancelled all their work for tomorrow because of the forecast. Heavy rain is forecast, but rarely is the weather as bad as forecast. They employ too!

Smurf

Re: Cancelling tomorrow's work - today!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 06:42:48 pm »
Sods law it will be OK tomorrow

JandS

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 07:21:35 pm »
Forecast -8 in some parts of Scotland tonight...brrrrrrr.
Glad am not their.
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

tlwcs

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 07:27:47 pm »
A local window cleaning firm I follow on Facebook have posted that they've cancelled all their work for tomorrow because of the forecast. Heavy rain is forecast, but rarely is the weather as bad as forecast. They employ too!

So have I, the second time in 10 years. I only work 4 days a week so will still be done by Friday.
Normally work in the rain but tomorrow may just be pushing it!
Tony

cgh window cleaning

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 07:40:40 pm »
I know a window cleaner that lives his life by these forecasts.
About two weeks ago he had written Friday's work off and said he wasn't going in on the Wednesday.

On the Friday it was fine not a drop of rain or wind.

You have to at least give it ago.I stopped looking at the weather forecast quite some time ago.

martin hulstone

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 07:41:18 pm »
If you do decide to go out, make sure your water is 0 so you can do the best job possible in the most difficult conditions!

8weekly

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2016, 07:46:38 pm »
If you do decide to go out, make sure your water is 0 so you can do the best job possible in the most difficult conditions!
It's only rain and 10mph winds. In town!! Hardly Hurricane Katrina.

nathankaye

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2016, 07:55:08 pm »
I also kno a chap at the slighest hint of rain or the very fine drizzle we get, will pack up n call it a day. Its like trying to find any excuse NOT to work..
I dont think im alone in saying, that in the past ive seen the forecast and decided against working (when i cleaned old school (trad)) and so made completely different plans. Only for the day to have been nice and miss out on a days wage n fall day behind in work. Since doing that a couple of times over the years, i soon learnt to look out the window and if dry, then it was off to work. If it rained, sat it out in car and decide if it was in for rest of day or not.
Now on wfp, its every work day is a work day, unless its really bad weather and quite frankly if i want to be in it all day.  Not, what would customers think.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

SeanK

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2016, 09:17:39 pm »
One man operator can make the call there and then, I suppose an employer would need to give employees notice.
Rains a different concern but usually when storms are forecast they more often get it right than wrong.

Dave66

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2016, 09:54:55 pm »
Well it's forecast Tuesday too so best cancel that!
plenty of cream...plenty of sugar!

Stoots

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2016, 09:56:16 pm »
Not expecting to get much done Monday or Tuesday but will play it by ear.

the king

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2016, 10:11:50 pm »
its looking not good monday i wake up and smell the coffee then deside lol  but im on the coast so wind and rain means filfy glass wfp or not lol dont matter if ur trad or wfp the glass will be so bad u wont be able to c through it after the storm

JSMC

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2016, 07:43:11 am »
Temps dropping in scotland past few days. Hopefully nothing major

nathankaye

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2016, 07:57:27 am »
Forecast on my app shows heavy rain from before 8am. Just been shop for my milk for a must needed coffee n screaming kids' breakfasts. Didnt get wet, so far its looking dry and workable.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

dazmond

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2016, 08:11:23 am »

each to their own.

ill be out this morning but forecast really bad by this afternoon.ive got jobs booked in today.ill do them first! ;D

if its a heavy storm with strong winds and torrential rain for hours then obviously ill be finishing early! :)

price higher/work harder!

SB Cleaning

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2016, 08:11:43 am »
Forecast on my app shows heavy rain from before 8am. Just been shop for my milk for a must needed coffee n screaming kids' breakfasts. Didnt get wet, so far its looking dry and workable.
Where are you?

Windy and chucking it down with rain in Herefordshire...

I'm staying home today all day this is suppose to continue :(

Og

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2016, 08:18:20 am »
Gutters booked in!

DaveG

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2016, 08:18:49 am »
I also kno a chap at the slighest hint of rain or the very fine drizzle we get, will pack up n call it a day. Its like trying to find any excuse NOT to work..

I'm like that!
You can't polish a turd

tompoole

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2016, 08:25:31 am »
I'm going out at 9 , just layer up and crack on

dazmond

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2016, 08:47:26 am »
Where are you?

Windy and chucking it down with rain in Herefordshire...

I'm staying home today all day this is suppose to continue :(

you dont have to stay in all day.you could go to the gym or do some xmas shopping.enjoy yourself! ;D

SeanK

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2016, 08:51:15 am »

I'm like that!

Same here mate, there's no pockets in a shroud. lol.

8weekly

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2016, 08:54:45 am »
Light rain in Berkshire and no winds. In any case it's mostly gutters and fascias booked in today coincidentally.

My real point was the daft notion of cancelling a day's work on the basis of a forecast that wasn't actually that bad. I'm pretty sure they employ as I've seen team photos on Facebook. Could be subbies I guess.

dazmond

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2016, 08:55:50 am »
Temps dropping in scotland past few days. Hopefully nothing major

-12 according to the scotland forecast.thats pump breaking temperatures if no heater left in van overnight as well as a frozen tank of water. ::)roll

SeanK

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2016, 09:26:09 am »
Light rain in Berkshire and no winds. In any case it's mostly gutters and fascias booked in today coincidentally.

My real point was the daft notion of cancelling a day's work on the basis of a forecast that wasn't actually that bad. I'm pretty sure they employ as I've seen team photos on Facebook. Could be subbies I guess.

The biggest employers in my area are all traditional so would assume they would have to make the call based on weather
forecasts, it wouldn't be fair to have employees turn up only to be sent home without at least some sort of payment, which could
be costly with enough employees.
I have seen them working odd Saturday and the very rare Sunday so would assume this would be to make the time up.
This having to work in horrendous conditions if employing or even as a sold trader has only come about with wfp.

8weekly

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2016, 09:30:09 am »

The biggest employers in my area are all traditional so would assume they would have to make the call based on weather
forecasts, it wouldn't be fair to have employees turn up only to be sent home without at least some sort of payment, which could
I have seen them working odd Saturday and the very rare Sunday so would assume this would be to make the time up.
This having to work in horrendous conditions if employing or even as a sold trader has only come about with wfp.
My dad was a window cleaner in the 70s and he worked in the rain. I only know two trad guys around here and they both work in the rain.

SeanK

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2016, 09:51:26 am »

My dad was a window cleaner in the 70s and he worked in the rain. I only know two trad guys around here and they both work in the rain.

What even heavy rain ? a traditional methods employer would also have safety issues to consider.

8weekly

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2016, 10:08:28 am »

What even heavy rain ? a traditional methods employer would also have safety issues to consider.
The one who the thread refers to is WFP, but the others I mentioned are/were all self employed. We're not talking about high winds, just rain. I take your point though. That said, in my opinion if you employ, you shouldn't be sending people up ladders to clean windows. Just my opinion as someone who wouldn't want an employee injured.

dazmond

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2016, 11:00:43 am »
ive sacked it off today.i couldnt be bothered working in this.its horrible out there.im also having wednesday off this week as im picking up my new car! :)

so ive rescheduled some work and ill be working sat for the first time in around 6 months this week!(as well as putting some work onto next weeks schedule).

ive re texted customers who were booked in today,altered dates on chits and reprinted invoices all ready for tomorrow.

.........off to the gym now  ;D

sometimes you gotta admit defeat! ;)

lal

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2016, 11:13:37 am »

Hi dazmond, what car are you getting, I'm just being a nosey sod  :)

SeanK

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2016, 11:26:42 am »

Check out the non cleaning (mad section) section, he has a thread all about it.

lal

« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2016, 11:47:34 am »

Check out the non cleaning (mad section) section, he has a thread all about it.

Cheers Sean, just had a look, dazmonds bought a Golf, lovely car, enjoy it mate.

« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2016, 12:49:55 pm »

I'm like that!

It's pointless trying to clean windows in the rain.  My customers wouldn't pay if I did.

8weekly

« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2016, 01:09:51 pm »

I'm like that!

It's pointless trying to clean windows in the rain.  My customers wouldn't pay if I did.
Sounds like your customers are the problem, not the rain.

8weekly

« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2016, 01:14:56 pm »
Actually it's hammering it down now.  ;D

Tosh

« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2016, 01:30:15 pm »

I'm like that!

Have you asked them?

All of them?

If the answer to either of those two questions is no the problem may not be your customers, it may also be yourself and what you think your customers will say. Second guessing, huh! I think Ive been turned away once in 18 years because of the weather and that was by an old biddy who thought it was going to rain two days later.
*A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odorless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

Smurf

« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2016, 01:38:31 pm »
Not just raining outside for me as have a water leak from the airing cupboard pipe work lol
The good news is the holes I had to make to drain the water from the bowed part of the kitchen celling is right inline with the kitchen sink so I don't need to use any buckets  ;D

8weekly

« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2016, 01:43:12 pm »
Not just raining outside for me as have a water leak from the airing cupboard pipe work lol
The good news is the holes I had to make to drain the water from the bowed part of the kitchen celling is right inline with the kitchen sink so I don't need to use any buckets  ;D
Sounds like cowboy plumbers. Yeehaa!

Smurf

« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2016, 01:46:29 pm »
Sounds like cowboy plumbers. Yeehaa!

He came out late last night to have a look and will pop back sometime today/tomorrow to sort it.
It's handy having a plumber as a mate as try getting one out on a sunday night let alone fix it for free. ;)

tlwcs

« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2016, 02:03:28 pm »

I'm like that!

Sounds like your customers are the problem, not the rain.

I always think for my custards lol

nathankaye

« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2016, 02:33:21 pm »
Its all about educating your customers as i like to call it.
I also educate certain customers into making a coffee for their window cleaner, as in, if you dont ask you dont get. Ive found that if i ask once, every time im there they ask now  ;D
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Smurf

« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2016, 02:50:18 pm »
Also when doing add-ons like gutter clearing, FSG's, pressure or softwashing (SH mix) it don't matter if it's raining or not surely?

Mick Kent

« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2016, 02:54:27 pm »
I took today off! Far too wet and windy. I have a little respect for my domestic customers to not clean in this type of weather, if i was desperate for the money then maybe i would but i choose not too.

Smurf

« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2016, 03:08:51 pm »
Everyone has to make that call at some point if/when required for safety reasons too.
Not just the customer may or may not like it as my own safety still comes first.

Shrek

« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2016, 03:34:21 pm »
Its all about educating your customers as i like to call it.
I also educate certain customers into making a coffee for their window cleaner, as in, if you dont ask you dont get. Ive found that if i ask once, every time im there they ask now  ;D

I personally prefer not to accept more than 1 brew a day for 3 reasons
1- some people don't know how to make a decent brew
2- some people buy rubbish coffee
3- there's only so much you can drink before you need a pee which then slows the job down as tea and coffee are diuretics

tompoole

« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2016, 03:49:41 pm »
Madness cancelling work , I just crack on . It's only Nov ,we have another 3-4 months of poope weather , if you cancel for today's wind and rain you may as well give up

dazmond

« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2016, 04:01:03 pm »
Madness cancelling work , I just crack on . It's only Nov ,we have another 3-4 months of poope weather , if you cancel for today's wind and rain you may as well give up

rubbish!i cant remember the last time i sacked a day off cos of bad weather.it must be only 2 or 3 times this year! ;D

im glad i didnt work today.its been truly awful out there and i did a good 2 hours in the gym instead and feet up this afternoon in a nice warm dry flat!its done me good to have a day off. ;)

Dave Willis

« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2016, 04:21:29 pm »
What a waste of Goretex  ::)roll

p1w1

« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2016, 04:30:27 pm »
these quotes always make me laugh, what a load of drivel..its simply down to personal preference. The rest of the weeks weather were i am looks ok, so i chose today to work until it started raining heavily then stopped had the weather looked bad all week i may have done some extra.

Stoots

« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2016, 04:53:56 pm »

there becomes a point where carrying on becomes idiotic.

Theres a difference between working in light rain to working in a storm

8weekly

« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2016, 05:06:41 pm »

In my case, if it hammers down I'll sit in the van and go back out when it eases. Only one day in 6 years has been sacked off.

DaveG

« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2016, 05:38:09 pm »

I'm like that!

Nothing to do with the customers why I don't bother
You can't polish a turd

Frankybadboy

« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2016, 07:35:48 pm »
well made it to the 1st house which took a hour to drive though the flooded lanes of chew magna,this normally takes me 20minutes and this year i never got stuck  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

spent 2 hours doing the insides and when it came to the outside thought better of it  ;D

8weekly

« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2016, 08:03:06 pm »
well made it to the 1st house which took a hour to drive though the flooded lanes of chew magna,this normally takes me 20minutes and this year i never got stuck  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

spent 2 hours doing the insides and when it came to the outside thought better of it  ;D
I hear Hartcliffe's flooded. Shame.  ;D

« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2016, 08:28:05 pm »

That's what I'm on about imagine cleaning windows in a blizzard  ;D

tompoole

« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2016, 08:37:43 pm »
Seems it has been worse in other areas, here in Bucks we have had heavy showers wind sunshine and cloud ... but to be fair I'd crack on any how, I would never keep up otherwise. Just wait in van when it's bouncing off floor then when it calms down get on with it.
seems few on here have 1000's of jobs earn millions and work on their own and still manage to fit it in ....... super heroes pmsl

dazmond

« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2016, 08:40:07 pm »
Seems it has been worse in other areas, here in Bucks we have had heavy showers wind sunshine and cloud ... but to be fair I'd crack on any how, I would never keep up otherwise. Just wait in van when it's bouncing off floor then when it calms down get on with it.
seems few on here have 1000's of jobs earn millions and work on their own and still manage to fit it in ....... super heroes pmsl

trust me mate you wouldnt of been working today if the weather was as bad as it was here today. ;D

AuRavelling79

« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2016, 08:40:25 pm »

I hear Hartcliffe's flooded. Shame.  ;D

The higher the water the better Hartcliffe looks.  ;D
It's a game of three halves!

AuRavelling79

« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2016, 08:41:36 pm »

trust me mate you wouldnt of been working today if the weather was as bad as it was here today. ;D

Lightweight. Just wear a hat. A 10 gallon hat would seem best.

Tom White

« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2016, 08:43:34 pm »

you dont have to stay in all day.you could go to the gym or do some xmas shopping.enjoy yourself! ;D

We were in the gym for 9.30 am, we had lunch down town and a mince around the shops.

It was quite a nice day.

Lashing down with rain here though; there's been flooding.

tompoole

« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2016, 09:37:39 pm »

Lightweight. Just wear a hat. A 10 gallon hat would seem best.

You following me..... that's what I was wearing today

simon w

« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2016, 09:42:24 pm »
Our day was spent cleaning internal and external communal windows in a very large block of city centre residential flats. A mixture of W-F-P, ladder work and abseiling. Got very wet but a very healthy days business. Similar work for us for most of this week.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2016, 09:55:15 pm »

We were in the gym for 9.30 am, we had lunch down town and a mince around the shops.

It was quite a nice day.

Lashing down with rain here though; there's been flooding.

Wetherspoons for a Cottage pie with Larry Grayson?

Tom White

« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2016, 10:02:05 pm »

Wetherspoons for a Cottage pie with Larry Grayson?

I don't like your homophobic tone, mate.  If I want to mince about, I can ruddy well mince about. >:(

AuRavelling79

« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2016, 10:07:06 pm »
Playing to your strengths, eh?  ;D