Og

Re: Any Tips for Speeding Up on Maintenance Cleans?
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2016, 05:57:17 pm »
You don't need to rinse much on regular cleans unless there's poope everywhere or hydrohorrible glass.

nathankaye

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2016, 07:15:34 pm »
On maintenance cleans if like mine, every 4wks. I mentioned on an earlier post what flow etc i have. But ultimately, up n down strokes across window then second pass horizontally and this second pass classes as my rinse. I rinse on the glass, never a problem with this.
But find your perfect technique, which i guess you have if been doing so for 18months. Work on your confidence and you will be just fine.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Cookie

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2016, 07:31:59 pm »
Thanks all for the comments & feedback. I think I can be a bit OCD sometimes re: small bits of dirt that seem to be on the windows when rinsing (particularly on velux windows). However I've never had any complaint re: my cleaning (apart from one customer who claimed my WFP left smears  - strangely enough his wife didn't agree with him! - I've dumped them now, they were one of these customers who never seemed happy with the job I did).

I will try a higher flow rate (I usually run on 26). I am bit concerned however that I may run out of water on a long day, since I only have a 350L tank, so I'll try it out on a shorter day first.

Nick Day

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2016, 07:37:43 pm »
On maintenance cleans if like mine, every 4wks. I mentioned on an earlier post what flow etc i have. But ultimately, up n down strokes across window then second pass horizontally and this second pass classes as my rinse. I rinse on the glass, never a problem with this.
But find your perfect technique, which i guess you have if been doing so for 18months. Work on your confidence and you will be just fine.

Exactly the way I do it and it doesn't use as much water as you think.

Perfect Windows

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2016, 07:41:37 pm »
I will try a higher flow rate (I usually run on 26). I am bit concerned however that I may run out of water on a long day, since I only have a 350L tank, so I'll try it out on a shorter day first.

Better still, try it on a full day when you can get home to refill (assuming you have a static tank).  And be prepared to have used less water than you normally do.

Vin

Shrek

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2016, 07:48:33 pm »

That's interesting as I do the first 'up and down' , then a second 'side to side' movement and then a rinse . I bet you would save loads of time and water not doing a 'rinse' at the end if your second pass is classed as your rinse . Gonna have to try this

SeanK

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2016, 08:25:35 pm »
there was a video on youtube of a lad with a backpack working fast and no rinseing - cant find it buy maybe others can ... like vin says as well

There you go,

Video for fast wfp window cleaning▶ 2:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vXV1zhmVao

nathankaye

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2016, 08:32:06 pm »
Quote from: nathankaye link=topic=203989.msg1797470#msg1797470
[/quote

That's interesting as I do the first 'up and down' , then a second 'side to side' movement and then a rinse . I bet you would save loads of time and water not doing a 'rinse' at the end if your second pass is classed as your rinse . Gonna have to try this

Especially if working on an higher flow (i habe mine on 40) and use 4 jets. Theres that much water coming out, that i doubt theres anything left on first pass, but the second secures it for my liking.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Shrek

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2016, 08:49:36 pm »
there was a video on youtube of a lad with a backpack working fast and no rinseing - cant find it buy maybe others can ... like vin says as well

There you go,

2 minutes to clean the whole front of a house !!! he sure is fast.....

tlwcs

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2016, 09:09:18 pm »
Electric reel.. May not save time but defo energy. Best bit of kit I've bought recently.
Tony

trippyboy

« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2016, 09:25:15 pm »
Rinse on

Ian101

« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2016, 10:40:40 pm »

There you go,

Yes thats the one

Stoots

« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2016, 11:24:46 pm »
Makes sure your round is in the best order possible firstly,  time spent driving is time wasted so ensure the best route.

Secondly, learn the quickest way for each property, i find van mount isnt always the fastest.. some jobs can be quicker with backpack or the trolley, maybe they have a lot of plant pots in the garden that the hose catches on etc.

once you have these things down then lighter poles, the correct brush, flow rate.

confidence is key so practice working quicker on different windows and check how they dry. Certain houses you will have to take more time, others will need next to no rinsing.  After that up prices and get rid of any customers that slow you down, i.e awkward parking, access through house, too chatty etc

robbo333

« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2016, 09:43:00 am »
Basically as above really. I'll defo try out the techniques mentioned, thank you for that.
The biggest time saver for me has been the Xtreme pole and Extreme brushes. Before that I used the SLX with a radius sill brush. I am much quicker with the Xtreme.
Other little things are:
1. Knock on the door when you arrive and start cleaning straight away (do not wait), you can have a quick chat while you're cleaning. Having said that, if they want a 2 minute chat then do it, that's what building customer relations is all about.
2. If I know they are paying online then I say..."I won't disturb you when i'm done, i'll just leave you a slip"
3. If they pay cash then knock on the door before you pack up.
4. I use pole hose as my main hose, very quick and light to use.
5. Park, so the back of your van (if you work out the back) is in-line with their back gate, so you've got a straight run
6. Awkward little ground floor side windows. Forget the pole just wipe over with a pure water cloth and quick polish.
7. If the front door is not minging, quick wipe over with a cloth of all the horizontal ledges and sill (don't soak the door).
8. Never leave a front door soaking wet (unless you can guarantee the custy is out all day). I've picked up loads of work because the previous windy 'left the front door soaking wet'
9. Don't get annoyed with tangled main hose, if it happens. If you relax you can sort it quicker.
10 Relax in general. If you start rushing around you tend to muck things up and make mistakes...which takes longer.
11. If you know the custy isn't in...splash and dash!  ;D
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

slap bash

« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2016, 03:55:32 pm »
Thanks all for the comments & feedback. I think I can be a bit OCD sometimes re: small bits of dirt that seem to be on the windows when rinsing (particularly on velux windows). However I've never had any complaint re: my cleaning (apart from one customer who claimed my WFP left smears  - strangely enough his wife didn't agree with him! - I've dumped them now, they were one of these customers who never seemed happy with the job I did).

The secret of window cleaning is the flow of water one the l
glass .The dirt floats off the glass if the film of water is too thin the dirt will settle on the glass. On Velux windows and flatter conny roofs change the brush so that the water flows backwards so that the water flow, powers the dirt off. The angle should be 75 degrees backward to the glass for this to work well and the pole does not stick in the  gutters. Skimping on water is a big mistake in this job.

Shrek

« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2016, 06:54:15 pm »

Just tried this on my Windows, flow on 60 , up and down , side to side ....
Dreadful, dirty water spots all over

simonr

« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2016, 08:32:00 pm »
Did you wash the frames as well?

Shrek

« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2016, 08:39:30 pm »
Did you wash the frames as well?

Yep , they look ok now , the windows which were bad , had the sun shining through them (south facing) .
I'm actually quite surprised at how much cleaner they are even with the spots , even though I didn't do a separate rinse

nathankaye

« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2016, 09:45:38 pm »
60 seems high though.
When cutting across top line, if water spray is too high, the flow of water goes up the glass (in a circle radius) ehich can then get into seals n pull dirty water back down.
 This may have been what happened perhaps?
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Shrek

« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2016, 09:53:35 pm »
60 seems high though.
When cutting across top line, if water spray is too high, the flow of water goes up the glass (in a circle radius) ehich can then get into seals n pull dirty water back down.
 This may have been what happened perhaps?

Quite possibly yes, il try again in another 4 weeks on 40 lol