cornwallwindows

Getting a dreaded mortgage - any tips?
« on: October 08, 2014, 03:07:50 pm »
Just about to venture into the world of trying to get a mortgage with the future wife, albeit apprehensively! Would be great to know how other windies have got on, being self employed and all that, does it really make it hard? Also do they need lots of evidence of earnings and savings.  ???

Mick Kent

Re: Getting a dreaded mortgage - any tips?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 03:12:40 pm »
3 years of Good accounts and a good credit score. A nice deposit a obove 10% helps too. moneysupermarket has good advice for self employed mortgages.
Best of luck im sure you will be fine gaining 1.

deeege

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 03:31:54 pm »
New MMR mortgage rules came into force over the last few months meaning banks/building societies want to know EVERYTHING about your finances. This is all to ensure responsible lending unlike before the last property boom when lenders were happy to give 110% mortgages. Basically expect them to check all of your recent bank accounts and want explanations for every outgoing.

Some lenders will still be ok with low deposit, adverse credit, only one years accounts etc but you'll be looking at a higher interest rate.

Good luck with it, I wanted to upsize this year but have decided to stay put and overpay my current mortgage to have a bigger deposit for next year.

Edit: the moneysaving expert forums are a good place to search for tips/advice.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

cornwallwindows

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 04:08:31 pm »
Cheers, I'm a bit worried about past history, credit score and my current financial situation isn't the best, although I'm working hard to put it right.
Luckily have got enough for a decent deposit (£15,000) thanks to a closely departed, but no savings although we are just about to set up a joint savings account.
I only set up this year so have records going back to April and before that I was employed in the care sector.

cornwallwindows

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 04:13:40 pm »
Is having a guarantor mortgage a possible way to go?

deeege

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 04:18:04 pm »
Cheers, I'm a bit worried about past history, credit score and my current financial situation isn't the best, although I'm working hard to put it right.
Luckily have got enough for a decent deposit (£15,000) thanks to a closely departed, but no savings although we are just about to set up a joint savings account.
I only set up this year so have records going back to April and before that I was employed in the care sector.

Credit rating is everything. Sign up free for Noddle and you can review your credit history. Going forward make sure every bill is paid on time. Apply for a credit card, use it for a couple of things you would normally pay by cash for and PAY IT OFF ON TIME, EVERY MONTH. This will help build your credit rating and show responsible use of credit lines.

"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

cornwallwindows

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 04:32:49 pm »

Credit rating is everything. Sign up free for Noddle and you can review your credit history. Going forward make sure every bill is paid on time. Apply for a credit card, use it for a couple of things you would normally pay by cash for and PAY IT OFF ON TIME, EVERY MONTH. This will help build your credit rating and show responsible use of credit lines.

[/quote]

Nice one, who knew Shane Macgowan was a mortgage adviser!

Mike #1

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 04:35:58 pm »
They do want to know everything , We have been with the same bank for years and simply switching to a new mortgage deal was pretty simple and straight froward .

Oh no not now despite been self employed for over 14 years and my wife been with the local authority for 10 years they wanted proof of earnings from both of us and  asked how often we went out for meals and how often  if we spent much money on alcohol each week .

cornwallwindows

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 04:44:51 pm »
They do want to know everything , We have been with the same bank for years and simply switching to a new mortgage deal was pretty simple and straight froward .

Oh no not now despite been self employed for over 14 years and my wife been with the local authority for 10 years they wanted proof of earnings from both of us and  asked how often we went out for meals and how often  if we spent much money on alcohol each week .

I hear that they ask if you even pay for hair cuts!

Mike #1

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2014, 05:15:06 pm »
They want to know it all , I would speak to a an independent mortgage advisor before going to a bank to see whether you will be able to obtain a mortgage .

I was only self employed for about 4 months when we got our first mortgage but that was when you could get a house for less than £25,000 that was over 14 years ago and things were a lot cheaper .

Ian101

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2014, 05:25:28 pm »
call me victor meldrew but I wouldn't bother ........... when your old they will take it fund your care home fees.

pea everything against the wall all your life and they will still have to care for you but you will pay nowt towards it (well a small amount of your state pension if they're still paying it out when your 67+

;D

deeege

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2014, 05:32:04 pm »
call me victor meldrew but I wouldn't bother ........... when your old they will take it fund your care home fees.

pea everything against the wall all your life and they will still have to care for you but you will pay nowt towards it (well a small amount of your state pension if they're still paying it out when your 67+

;D

Rent costs are higher than mortgages for equivalent houses so it's a no brainer imo. Add to that you can be mortgage free by age 50-55 so that's 12-17 years of working age where you won't have the expense of paying rent / mortgage.

Mick Kent

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2014, 06:12:45 pm »
Plus its something to leave the kids so when your older you can sleep better at night knowing they will be secure! No i line someone elses pocket by renting
Rent in my area fir a 3 bed is over a grand a month! Stuff that!!.

Ian101

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2014, 06:22:52 pm »
lol I was saying it tounge in cheek  ;D

but as you get older u do need to think about these things .... ffs im only 46 !!!!

dazmond

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2014, 06:31:40 pm »

but as you get older u do need to think about these things .... ffs im only 46 !!!!

46 really?you look a lot older in the pic on your website!are you sure your not 56? ;D ;D ;D
price higher/work harder!

cornwallwindows

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2014, 06:46:46 pm »

Only!!  :P

8weekly

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2014, 06:58:10 pm »

;D

Rent costs are higher than mortgages for equivalent houses so it's a no brainer imo. Add to that you can be mortgage free by age 50-55 so that's 12-17 years of working age where you won't have the expense of paying rent / mortgage.
Not round here. When I look at some of the houses to rent for what I am paying on my mortgage I am often bemused.

Tom-01

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2014, 07:14:39 pm »

[/quote]

Thats what I don't understand, I pay a lot for renting a 1 bed flat, which if I had a mortgage would be a lot less, and having a reasonable deposit its still difficult to get a mortgage..

I guess like someone said earlier anyone could get a mortgage a few years ago.

deeege

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2014, 07:23:59 pm »

;D

Not round here. When I look at some of the houses to rent for what I am paying on my mortgage I am often bemused.

I wouldn't be. Your mortgage payment each month will be mainly equity which is as good as you banking the money, the same can't be said if you were renting.

PoleKing

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2014, 07:39:46 pm »
Don't borrow your absolute maximum.
£100k@10%. Put down £11k etc...
And when alls done and dusted-make sure you've got 3 months bills in front in the bank.
All the best.
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

Ian101

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2014, 10:34:43 pm »

46 really?you look a lot older in the pic on your website!are you sure your not 56? ;D ;D ;D

Cheers Daz ...... btw that picture about 6 years old

mike1986

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2014, 09:14:05 am »
Me and my wife took out a mortgage a few years back...I had to get proof of my last 2 years tax return figures from HMRC and the mortgage company went off the average net profit for those 2 years to decide how much we could borrow. From what I was told by our mortgage adviser, you need at least 2 years proof if self employed. Also my credit rating is very good, but my wife's was very poor, but didn't stop us getting a joint mortgage

gary999

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2014, 09:31:27 am »
Plus its something to leave the kids so when your older you can sleep better at night knowing they will be secure! No i line someone elses pocket by renting
Rent in my area fir a 3 bed is over a grand a month! Stuff that!!.

Good chance in the future with people living longer the value of your
property will go to looking after you Michael when the rest of your mind fails
and you need your nappy changing ;D

gary999

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2014, 09:43:25 am »
If you are taking out a mortgage with the idea of making money
on a property forget it but if its about having a roof over your head
ina secure manner well as secure as anything is these days good luck :)

Obviously the best way to buy is with cash on the hip, I personally
was able to do this no interest payments etc when prices rose I made
a profit.I personally wouldn't of bought if I had to have a mortgage.

I imagine mortgage repayments are relatively low at mo with interest
rates being so low be aware though that interest rates will rise at some
point so f you can avoid stretching yourself to limit.

deeege

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2014, 10:30:30 am »

The bolded part is what the new mortgage rules are all about. Lenders now are being mega strict and are looking at long term affordability for when interest rates inevitably rise.

groundhog

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2014, 12:23:45 pm »
And when alls done and dusted-make sure you've got 3 months bills in front in the bank.
All the best.
I disagree, do borrow your absolute maximum!! In 20 years time you will be glad you did!!  :)

gary999

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2014, 12:38:35 pm »

The bolded part is what the new mortgage rules are all about. Lenders now are being mega strict and are looking at long term affordability for when interest rates inevitably rise.

Deegee if we are talking about longt term affordability then majority should
not be getting mortgages especially with all the uncertainity about...long
term I cant see the lenders sticking to this and the wheel will just turn
full circle again.

Glad im not  stuck in the hamsters wheel now :)

gary999

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2014, 12:39:28 pm »
All the best.
I disagree, do borrow your absolute maximum!! In 20 years time you will be glad you did!!  :)

Sorry hoggy disagree with the above

groundhog

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2014, 01:04:29 pm »
All the best.

A house is the probably the very best investment you will make in your life, a mortgage gives you leverage to be able to invest in the best property you can possibly afford, make full use of that leverage, sometimes in life you have to take risks if you want to reap the rewards!

deeege

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2014, 02:19:03 pm »
All the best.

A house is the probably the very best investment you will make in your life, a mortgage gives you leverage to be able to invest in the best property you can possibly afford, make full use of that leverage, sometimes in life you have to take risks if you want to reap the rewards!

Agree.

PoleKing

« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2014, 03:46:06 pm »
All the best.

Sorry-perhaps I wasn't clear in what I meant.
What I meant was:
Mortgage company says you can have £100k house.
You need to put down 10% of that, so £10k.
Put down £10,100 or £11k.
It looks better on the application that you're not borrowing right up to your theoretical maximum.

gary999

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2014, 04:38:58 pm »
All the best.

Yep a property can be a good investment but lets not forget a mortgage
is a debt you have to repay and throwing down more than you can handle long term especially
as we are literally at 0% interest rates and wont stay that way it can only go up
is foolish.
I think the last 7 years have proved biting off more than you can chew is not
particulary clever.

gary999

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2014, 04:42:55 pm »
All the best.

What I meant was:
It looks better on the application that you're not borrowing right up to your theoretical maximum.

Are 100% mortgages still available??

cgh window cleaning

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2014, 04:54:42 pm »
I have just got a mortgage this year and the process was not as scary as you think but the banks are very strict and thorough.
You will need 3 years good accounts(I was asked for an sa30 form from the inland revenue)to show what profit you make.(not turnover)
They will go through you bank statements to see what you spend your money on.
They will ask you questions about you personal and business life(do you plan to expand.,or start a family)
You will need a good deposit minimum around 10%(and they will ask how you got the deposit)
You will need a good credit score you can check for free at experian.
That's all I can think of at the minute the best thing is to speak to your bank it won't cost you to talk to them and they will give you the facts and answers.
Good luck.

PoleKing

« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2014, 04:59:02 pm »
All the best.

What I meant was:

Don't think so mate.
The example I've put up is a 10% deal...

Dave Willis

« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2014, 05:01:34 pm »
All the best.

I think that is the worst advice you could possibly give ....... unless the original poster is confident he can still afford the payments should the interest rate rise. Some of us have had mortgages above 15%!!!!
If you have a mortgage at 1/2% and the interest went to 1% then it's likely your payments will double.

deeege

« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2014, 05:06:20 pm »
All the best.

What I meant was:

No.

In the early 2000's i know people who were able to get 110% mortgages  :o

Those days are thankfully long gone.

groundhog

« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2014, 05:07:10 pm »
All the best.

is a debt you have to repay and throwing down more than you can handle long term especially
as we are literally at 0% interest rates and wont stay that way it can only go up
is foolish.
particulary clever.
Yes a mortgage is a debt, but it is a good debt that will provide you with a valuable asset! Never borrow money for cars or holidays etc, only borrow money for assets which will grow and make you money, and property is one of the safest bets that there is!!

Dave Willis

« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2014, 05:07:48 pm »
I was lucky when the mortgage rate was fifteen and a quarter percent - I could still afford to pay it, then as the interest rates dropped I paid the same amount as if it was fifteen percent thus my mortgage was finished in no time at all.

Others who borrowed to the hilt were stuffed when the interest rates climbed - several just had to hand the keys over and walk out whilst others stuck it out living in negative equity (house worth less than the amount borrowed).

groundhog

« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2014, 05:11:14 pm »
All the best.

What I meant was:

No.

In the early 2000's i know people who were able to get 110% mortgages  :o

Those days are thankfully long gone.
My first mortgage back in the 90's was a 110% .. and it was the best thing I ever did!!

Dave Willis

« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2014, 05:12:57 pm »
Don't be daft the interest rate has never been that high  ::)roll  ;D

gary999

« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2014, 05:16:58 pm »
All the best.

is foolish.
particulary clever.
Yes a mortgage is a debt, but it is a good debt that will provide you with a valuable asset! Never borrow money for cars or holidays etc, only borrow money for assets which will grow and make you money, and property is one of the safest bets that there is!!
Again it can  be a valuable asset which really is owned by the bank until
you have payed for it

Once you have paid up its yours until then you are just a tenant..im not saying
don't take a mortgage on just make sure you arenot totally stretched now
while interest rates are low because when they go up you will suffer.

Having a roof over your head being able to live your life and for the most
part being happy or at least content with your lot is far more important
than stretching yourself to the limit trying to buy the best house you can
because its a good investment :)

groundhog

« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2014, 05:19:27 pm »
Remember Gary.... Fortune favours the brave!!  ;)

gary999

« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2014, 05:22:03 pm »
I think perhaps the wise do better :)

groundhog

« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2014, 05:24:42 pm »
We will have to agree to disagree on this one mate!!  ;)

PoleKing

« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2014, 05:40:55 pm »

Do you own or tent Gaz?
And why did you choose that path?

windowswashed

« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2014, 06:52:14 pm »
I took a mortgage out on my own when MIRAS was available, sadly them days are gone :( Many customers of mine own second houses as holiday homes or even look at them as investments. When I bought in my street everyone owned their house now it's 5 percent home owners and the remainder renting :(

SeanK

« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2014, 08:23:55 pm »
Go for your mortgage mate and buy the best property you can afford, in 25 years you will
be laughing at the guys still paying rent when you will be living mortgage free.
Groundhog is spot on, I got similar advice 27 years ago and thankfully I listened to it.
Its not about investment its about having a secure roof over your head in later life.

gary999

« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2014, 09:30:25 pm »

Do you own or tent Gaz?
[/quote

I own..i was lucky enough not to need a mortgage

PoleKing

« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2014, 09:34:24 pm »

Do you own or tent Gaz?
[/quote

I own..i was lucky enough not to need a mortgage

Fair play, Gaz.

gary999

« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2014, 09:36:50 pm »
Go for your mortgage mate and buy the best property you can afford, in 25 years you will
be laughing at the guys still paying rent when you will be living mortgage free.
Groundhog is spot on, I got similar advice 27 years ago and thankfully I listened to it.
Its not about investment its about having a secure roof over your head in later life.

That last line makes total sense :)

KS Cleaning

« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2014, 09:38:19 pm »
My advice to anyone who has a mortgage would be..... if you can afford it, get overpaying just now while the interest rates are so low. I am lucky to be only paying 1/2% at the mo, so I am putting a lot of extra cash in to get my mortgage paid off early.

deeege

« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2014, 09:44:34 pm »
My advice to anyone who has a mortgage would be..... if you can afford it, get overpaying just now while the interest rates are so low. I am lucky to be only paying 1/2% at the mo, so I am putting a lot of extra cash in to get my mortgage paid off early.

Same. It's a nice feeling knowing it's being repaid at basically no interest.

PoleKing

« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2014, 09:56:48 pm »
If you don't mind me asking-how old are you lads with mortgages at .5%?

KS Cleaning

« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2014, 11:01:08 pm »
If you don't mind me asking-how old are you lads with mortgages at .5%?
46.  Sorry I think it is actually 0.75% I am on. When I took out mortgage in 2002 it was a 5 year fixed rate of 4.99 after the 5 years was up I went on to .25 above the base rate. 

cornwallwindows

« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2014, 07:23:44 am »
I have just got a mortgage this year and the process was not as scary as you think but the banks are very strict and thorough.
You will need 3 years good accounts(I was asked for an sa30 form from the inland revenue)to show what profit you make.(not turnover)
They will ask you questions about you personal and business life(do you plan to expand.,or start a family)
You will need a good deposit minimum around 10%(and they will ask how you got the deposit)
That's all I can think of at the minute the best thing is to speak to your bank it won't cost you to talk to them and they will give you the facts and answers.
Good luck.

Spoke to an broker yesterday an was told that there are some places that will look at a year of your books. Only trouble is that first year, there's a lot of outgoings in the expenses column so profit margin isn't that impressive. Also, by the sounds of it, we've got to live like monks for at least 3 months. So looks like it's a couple of years of saving and living with the inlaws, nooooooooooo!!

In terms of showing income did you put everything through your books? I'm thinking I'll need to and set up a business account, put everything through that, at the moment I'm using my personal account.

cgh window cleaning

« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2014, 01:42:59 pm »
Good luck.

Spoke to an broker yesterday an was told that there are some places that will look at a year of your books. Only trouble is that first year, there's a lot of outgoings in the expenses column so profit margin isn't that impressive. Also, by the sounds of it, we've got to live like monks for at least 3 months. So looks like it's a couple of years of saving and living with the inlaws, nooooooooooo!!

In terms of showing income did you put everything through your books? I'm thinking I'll need to and set up a business account, put everything through that, at the moment I'm using my personal account.

I am mainly commercial so to be honest everything is on invoice with bac's and cheque as payment.
I have a business account so it's easy to see consistent money goes in easily,it can make things easier to keep business and personal banking separate.
As you've said your business is new so your costs will be higher(advertising,tools,etc)
You need to show good consistent profit.

Elinor Welch

« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2020, 01:35:44 pm »
for a small business account I can recommend a trusted bank is Axos and good credit union for small business for me is Consumers Credit Union
at one time when I just opened my first business, these guys helped me a lot, even when the business was at a loss, I did not lose hope
so now I have something that we will take my business
I hope my advice will help you succeed in business

NWH

« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2020, 01:49:24 pm »
Who said you are nothing but a tennant if you have a mortgage lol,you are bit more than that they’ll throw you out if you don’t pay the mortgage yeah, if you rent and the landlord wants it back when the tenancy agreement is up he can give you notice to get out.
Renting is a mugs game always has been at the time buying was more and renting was cheaper you were still chucking money away each month,with the rates at the moment if you can buy I’d do it ASAP,if we sold now we’d be laughing and that’s the end goal with property to be laughing years down the line if you rent you are no further ahead than you were 25 years later,you are massively worse off always got to find rent money you’ve never always got to find mortgage payments once it’s paid off.

jk999

« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2020, 02:38:19 pm »
Does anyone realise this post was opened 6 years ago 🤣🤣🤣

Spruce

« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2020, 03:38:22 pm »
Does anyone realise this post was opened 6 years ago 🤣🤣🤣

When I saw a post from Ian101 I knew it was old.  ;D

Last time Cornwall Windows was on here was 3 and a 1/2 years ago.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

jk999

« Reply #61 on: September 08, 2020, 06:44:52 pm »
😂😂😂😂

matty72

« Reply #62 on: September 08, 2020, 06:59:32 pm »
Just go for it mate, it wont cost anything to try, find a mortgage adviser that searches whole of the market, and one that will give you of the cuff advice if you know what i mean, try three, all they want is bank statements and what debts you have, the more debt you have and worse credit rating the worse deal you get, but once on the mortgage ladder after two years start looking about for better deals, worse thing they can say is no.

jk999

« Reply #63 on: September 08, 2020, 08:09:24 pm »
I have a funny feeling he sorted it out in 2014

Spruce

« Reply #64 on: September 08, 2020, 09:02:39 pm »
I have a funny feeling he sorted it out in 2014

His website is still active so he is still cleaning windows. Maybe he lived with his in-laws long enough for them to buy them a house.😂
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

windowswashed

« Reply #65 on: September 08, 2020, 10:03:41 pm »
I'm just relieved I paid my mortgage off early on my own in 21 years. Debt free is the best way to be without the added worry.

jk999

« Reply #66 on: September 08, 2020, 11:39:49 pm »
Cant wait four years left seems a bloody life time 😭😭😭😭😭😱