bobby p

my new lad- feel hes a loser
« on: April 26, 2011, 08:32:07 am »
its jus my rant really-but what would you do?   this year stepped up my game and my aims to double round with a lad and let my body take less strain in the process

well im on target to doublin it by year end but my latest lad(the 2nd,the 1st lasted 2weeks) is starting to muck me about, today its a late tex tellin me he wont be in till 11 . he knows ive a 3 strikes and you are out rule  and he is pretty much there now  and to be honest his peeing at EVERY house we go to is narking me off as well . maybe im being petty but im a patient bloke but  what can i do-  get another and just finish this one? or get another and let them work alternate days?

Re: my new lad- feel hes a loser
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 09:01:25 am »
dump

Blue Frog Systems

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 09:19:32 am »
Dont know if its a genuine reason for being in late.

But if he has just said he wont be in and is generally messing about at the begining, then he's more than likely to do it all the time.

Tell him you wont accept it and that if he doesnt get his act together, then hes back at the job centre
Only those who risk going too far will truly know how far they can actually go

dave0123

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 10:50:56 am »
He doesn't sound imtrested anyway an probably won't be bothered by any standard of work.. Get rid coming in at 11 i would said dont bother mate it's not worth it!!
Dave.

Helen

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 11:45:05 am »
its jus my rant really-but what would you do?   this year stepped up my game and my aims to double round with a lad and let my body take less strain in the process

well im on target to doublin it by year end but my latest lad(the 2nd,the 1st lasted 2weeks) is starting to muck me about, today its a late tex tellin me he wont be in till 11 . he knows ive a 3 strikes and you are out rule  and he is pretty much there now  and to be honest his peeing at EVERY house we go to is narking me off as well . maybe im being petty but im a patient bloke but  what can i do-  get another and just finish this one? or get another and let them work alternate days?

I think the signs are all there  ;D
He's telling you what time he will be in ???  You're the boss. I would have said be here in half an hour and we'll forget it, or if not don't bother at all...Wise up, we've just had a long hot bank hol weekend, he's probably been out in the sun too much, drank too much and parties too much and now can't be bothered to get up for work!
Let him go, part on good terms and get another lad. Let us know how many you go through, before you get a good one

Helen

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 12:41:06 pm »
5792 AND STILL COUNTING ;D

Did I ever say "told you so"!!!!! ;D

Sean Dyer

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 02:40:08 pm »
Given up here too, had 2 , find its easier to work alone, got the wife leaving her job to help next month, she said she will work 2 days a week till our daughter goes school then maybe a bit more, i can earn enough on my own its just not much fun working 5 days a week when it is possible to get others working ..... but that doesnt make your time free as by the sounds of it, the work just changes not go away

at least working alone you don't have to worry about the work being done well etc, and you can just refine your round into a decent paying one that suits your lifestyle that you want....

Ian101

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 02:57:19 pm »
The secret with young lads is to interview the mother as well at same time. This will give u a feel for if she will kick his a rse if he messes u about. I've done this for years when employing in motor trade and when I had a lad earlier this year believe me its the best way

Sean Dyer

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 03:04:56 pm »
a 18-19 yr old isnt gonna bring mummy to an interview though surely....or you talking about 15-16 yr olds

Lee GLS

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 03:38:05 pm »
How much you paying the lad?

Ian101

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 03:55:14 pm »
19 or below then yup bring mother as well they don't like it then no interview and time saved employing a no hoper .... Sounds daft idea but it works every time

tacky

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 04:21:22 pm »
u be better off employing the mother .

A & J Owen Window Cleaning

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 04:42:41 pm »
keep him and dock his cash he will soon flook off mate. or have yourself cloned.

Frankybadboy

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 04:47:47 pm »
you will go though between 10-15 blokes before you find the right one. ;)

Sean Dyer

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2011, 04:50:21 pm »
19 or below then yup bring mother as well they don't like it then no interview and time saved employing a no hoper .... Sounds daft idea but it works every time

sounds a good idea ian, still i am sticking it alone for now, did it prematurely anyway, still haven.t got what i would consider a matured business as sole trader yet so will perfect that first !

clearlyclean

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2011, 05:02:05 pm »

He is starting to mark his patch  ;D get rid if they can't turn up then there no good.

bobby p

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2011, 05:58:53 pm »
i was so mad this morning ,working alone on double-grot new customers ,which were lined up for BOTH of us to do- so instead of picking him up at 11 ,i made him sweat until 1 . hes told me he wont do it again .

im paying him 7 quid an hour ,paid only for hours on the glass

Ive decided to put the feelers out for a new worker,a small ad somewhere ,while still getting some use from the "peeing  boho " /  by the way, how often are you lot peeing ?, i know my brother pees more than me, but surely not every 20 minutes !

mci services

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2011, 06:02:42 pm »
Sounds like he has a problem if peeing all the time, I pee at lunch time and when I finish work.

Did he have an excuse for not starting on time.

Jackal

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2011, 06:09:02 pm »
i dont pee in gardens at all, most the time i dont go all day if i think i cant wait till i get home i use local toliets which are less than 2 mins drive form where i work,but i dont have any tea breaks either

bobby p

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2011, 06:14:00 pm »
his excuse had something to do with seeing off a friend from uni-  some delay ,  BUT its not the first time  hes  let me down at last minute .  

he reminds me of a car that occasionally wont start up- nobody can find the annoying fault  but it runs great once started . in this case, the cars got a VERY BAD WATER LEAK too !!!

Ian101

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2011, 06:14:25 pm »

sounds a good idea ian, still i am sticking it alone for now, did it prematurely anyway, still haven.t got what i would consider a matured business as sole trader yet so will perfect that first !

snap !! same here mate ... i employed too early and he was a good lad but too much hassle with red tape etc .... just going to keep refining till its all mint ... then sell and start again down Falmouth  ;D

dazmond

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2011, 06:32:39 pm »
i must of had around 50 different lads that i tried out working for me 10 years ago!.not a single good worker!most lasted less than 3 days.a couple lasted 2 months.the rest i sacked before the week was out!!in the end i sold some work on.i got nothing but hassle and headaches and i ended up hating the job.i nearly packed it in!!

it doesnt suit me.i much prefer to work on my own.with wfp earnings are increased and i really dont need the hassle of employing when i can already earn a half decent income by myself.
price higher/work harder!

Tom White

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2011, 06:43:17 pm »
I've only ever tried one young lad, and he was naff.  A real wet blanket.  Nearing to when I sacked him, one morning he started crying and I asked him what was wrong.  He said his Grandad had died.  I took pity and said I'd drive him home.  On the way home we had a chat about his Grandad, and I found out that his Grandad had actually died ONE YEAR PRIOR and this was the anniversary of the date.

I sacked him two days later when he was late again.

What a waste of space he was.

Helen

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2011, 08:12:41 pm »
i was so mad this morning ,working alone on double-grot new customers ,which were lined up for BOTH of us to do- so instead of picking him up at 11 ,i made him sweat until 1 . hes told me he wont do it again .

don't hold your breath!

im paying him 7 quid an hour ,paid only for hours on the glass

For the next one, why not drop it to £6.00 per hour, but pay an attendance bonus of some sort once a month as an incentive to turn up. Conditions not late turning up, no early finishes etc etc

Ive decided to put the feelers out for a new worker,a small ad somewhere ,while still getting some use from the "peeing  boho " /  by the way, how often are you lot peeing ?, i know my brother pees more than me, but surely not every 20 minutes !

AuRavelling79

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2011, 08:35:42 pm »
Yep they do sound wasters but grief £7 an hour! he could get that at Aldi and be in the warm chatting up the Polish checkout girls.

I like Helen's idea as far as it goes but maybe £7 an hour plus attendance/performance bonus so he can make £8 to 10 an hour on the glass if he does well.

Peanuts and Monkeys surely?
It's a game of three halves!

TomCrowther

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2011, 08:46:26 pm »
I think that you have to take someone on who has already shown a work ethic. This job is tough for those of us who own the business, tougher for someone who is only getting minimum wage.
When you find the right guy, pay him a decent wage and in time offer a part of the business if he is really good.

LSB

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2011, 09:34:18 pm »
i have just got rid of my 2nd one this year , both english teenagers on between £8 - £10 p/h , the latest one was a fantastic worker for 12mths , but pretty useless the last few ( should have sacked him earlier , but liked him / gave him the benefit of the doubt ) ,

i know its been mentioned on here before but its a new one on me , he went out over the bank holiday weekend and collected and / or pretended to clean some of my customers that he knew were due this week and obviously kept all for himself ! have spent all aft / eve , speaking to customers and putting a letter through those that were out , hopefully it will stop immediately or very soon !

i have employed for many years , and have found the polish boys  (etc) , to be much better , same wage , no problems , i currently have 2 polish cousins , perfect english , working for me approx 5 years , recently had a couple of lithuanians for approx 3 years

i have only ever had staff problems with english boys ! ( inc a family member years ago ).

Dave66

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2011, 09:43:04 pm »
he might be diabetic
plenty of cream...plenty of sugar!

bobby p

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2011, 10:05:19 pm »
he might be diabetic
   hes also often asking to go for a number 2 !  (i absolutely forbid that on customers property)

-  whats weird is that less than 5 minutes after telling me hes gagging to go ,he then says " ummm,actually i dont want to go  now,false alarm "  just as im thinking wheres the nearest loo.   

writing this thread has made me realize that he is causing me grief and  i dont need it- will be looking for another lad and will sideline the one ive got

Johnny B

« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2011, 10:38:05 pm »
I took on a lad three years ago. He was 18 at the time, and had lost a couple of jobs that he had had after leaving school. I had know him since he was in infant school.

I took him on firstly out of pity, as I know he'll really struggle to get another job anywhere, and secondly I was getting too busy to cope with my workload, so I could use the help.

He stayed with me for just over three years, and was often unfit to work 'cos he overdid things at the gym and always had aches or pains, hay fever in the summer, and too cold in the winter.

He didn't drive, so I had to drive 7 miles out of my way to pick him up, then 7 miles again to drop him home. I made zilch out it all, and I finally let him go in January (after he had 3 weeks off sick) when he rang to say could he have a further day off to help a friend with a project.

I immediately sold half my round, and now life is soooo much easier!

I will never go through that again.

John.
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

ronnie paton

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2011, 10:46:18 pm »
how can any one sau £7 for a 19 year old is paying peanuts and getting a monkey???

look at the state of the country and GOLD like you said its not a trade or a profesion should be lucky if they get min wage!!!!!

groundhog

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2011, 12:02:54 am »
how can any one sau £7 for a 19 year old is paying peanuts and getting a monkey???

look at the state of the country and GOLD like you said its not a trade or a profesion should be lucky if they get min wage!!!!!

No wonder they don't want to work with this kind of attitude!! They need a good leader and some motivation that they will get paid for the effort they put in!!!!

AuRavelling79

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2011, 08:20:19 am »

State of the country? Get real - state of your mind more like. Treat employees as you would like to be treated - with respect and an incentive scheme. Look for a guy with the right ethic and pay him well.

Not from Lancashire or Yorkshire are you? Whichever - the days of the Satanic Mills are gone! I remember getting a "motivational talk" from the new owner of the office equipt co I worked for - came strutting in (this was just after all the miners lost their jobs oop North) and told the assembled workforce that he was putting in an incentive plan "you do your job this week and you can come back next"  - this to a handful of salesmen that were doing a good job and pulling in the commission and earning.

Then he tried to lower our commission structure and reduce our basic wage.

Muppet! We took him to industrial tribunal and he paid us on the courtroom steps but we still went in and got a judgement against him and then two months later set up our own business and had great delight in taking over all our old custies.

All he had to do was come in and say "great job lads, keep going and we'll all earn some dosh" - but no - he had a "be grateful for what you've got mentality that ran out of steam somewhere between Cheshire and Birmingham."  
It's a game of three halves!

Tom White

« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2011, 08:26:37 am »
Being ex army, I've done loads of leadership and management courses.  In the forces you get to do a lot of this sort of stuff, since they're not a private company who're worried about training costs and time away from production.

I've went into it in some depth and even got an NVQ 3 in Leadership and management (LOL).

I've done a lot of studies like Maslow's Theory and lots of other stuff, but nowhere have I ever read or been taught that using financial incentives for motivating people is the only or main way to do it; although I don't doubt money can play a part in this.

It's a vast subject, leadership and management (which are different ends of the same cat), but there's more to it than mere money.  In fact money may only play a minor part; self esteem is probably the biggest motivator IMO.  How can you build someone's self-esteem up through working for you?  It's not an easy question to answer given that the type we do is often viewed as extremely lowly.

I reckon if you can crack that - the self esteem issue - you'll have a good employee.  I know David of St Ives sends his guys away on training courses - now that has got to be a good way of building up an employees self esteem; he's investing time, money, and effort into them to make them better at their jobs, which in turn would hopefully produce a better employee.

However, I've no experience of this and I'm writing about opinion only.

Helen

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2011, 09:52:20 am »
Yep they do sound wasters but grief £7 an hour! he could get that at Aldi and be in the warm chatting up the Polish checkout girls.

I like Helen's idea as far as it goes but maybe £7 an hour plus attendance/performance bonus so he can make £8 to 10 an hour on the glass if he does well.

Peanuts and Monkeys surely?

Not at all. IF you are looking to employ, you should check out what rates are available,  look on the job centre site, see what is being paid. No employer in their right mind should start someone on the highest rate unless they have advertised for experienced and it can be proven that is what they are going to get.
Unexperienced starter £6.00  per hour 40 hours per week = £240.00 gross
Bonus of some sort, be it attendance, performance related whatever = £30.00 gross
Gross per week £270.00. Over 14k per year rate...not bad if no experience and under 19!
Is good from all aspects at 3 months:
Hourly rate to £6.50 = £260.00 per week plus bonus. £290.00 per week - Over £15k per year
Is good from all aspects at 6 months:
Hourly rate to £7.00 = £280.00 per week plus bonus. £310.00 per week -  Over £16k per year
IF they go any farther then you can rearrange the payments to suit.
We do not employ anymore, but our top guys were reaching OTE £24k per year, (35 hour per week) built on this basis and with motivation and carressing and wiping their bums if necessary :)

Helen

« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2011, 09:55:41 am »
Forgot to add, searched the job centre this morning Top rate I could find was £10 per hour for abseilers.....loads of meets min wage and loads of £6.00 to £8.00 dependant on experience. :)

Helen

« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2011, 10:02:29 am »
you will go though between 10-15 blokes before you find the right one. ;)

That was about our average too, lost count of ones that didn't turn up on first day or butted out at the end of the first week.
We did have some really good workers, ones that can be trusted which is the most important factor, but due to circumstances, we decided to sell up and concentrate on our other businesses. With the last 2 good ones, one got above himself after a year and threatened to leave 5 times to blackmail us into raising his money Approx £24k (3 years ago) so on the 5th time we accepted his resignation, much to his surprise. The second....got homesick for SA and went back :)

ronnie paton

« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2011, 10:07:43 am »
gold do you employ???

if you think £7 per hour is a bad wage for a 19 year old try asking the hundreds of thousands of 19 year old looking for work.

actually ask the millions lookng for work who are over 19 they would jump at the chance of £7 per hour.

sure someone would prefer to work for 15-20 per hour but i run a business to make a profit and dont do too bad at it, GOLD what would you say was a good wage for a 19 year old?

groundhog

« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2011, 01:00:57 pm »
gold do you employ???

if you think £7 per hour is a bad wage for a 19 year old try asking the hundreds of thousands of 19 year old looking for work.

actually ask the millions lookng for work who are over 19 they would jump at the chance of £7 per hour.

sure someone would prefer to work for 15-20 per hour but i run a business to make a profit and dont do too bad at it, GOLD what would you say was a good wage for a 19 year old?

Sorry but what kind of incentive is £7 an hour?? His only incentive is that if he dosn't do enough work then he might get the sack!! So he is going to do just enough to keep his job at best! He won't even be that bothered if he does lose his job, so won't be that bothered about the quality of his work either!! Surely there has to be some kind of incentive? I am planning on taking someone on soon and I am planning on giving them a percentage of turnover rather than a flat rate, that way he will feel more a part of the business and have more pride in his work (hopefully) If he proves himself a good worker I plan to get him his own van and to increase his percentage after a year.

G Griffin

« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2011, 01:13:13 pm »
There`a a lot of conjecture about this subject, when only Bobby P has met the lad.
Who knows the real reason for him being a waste of time?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

H S and Son

« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2011, 02:53:54 pm »
gold do you employ???

if you think £7 per hour is a bad wage for a 19 year old

Ronnie, what is a bad wage for a 19 year old?

Taylor & Taylor WC Services

« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2011, 02:55:24 pm »
I have a 20 yr old lad with a bit of a swagger but I do get a a lot of work done with him £100 a day more than the last guy I had who was 50..

I pay him £6.50 PER HOUR which he thinks is great after his last job POT WASHING  He loves the outdoors and I only have to shout at him now and then.

He was late once and he won't be again or I'll use my brodex as a lollipop stick ha! I'm firm with him if he's being a donut but most of the time he's spot on but I think I have made him realise where we stand from the off?

cozy

« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2011, 03:52:45 pm »
I have a 20 yr old lad with a bit of a swagger but I do get a a lot of work done with him £100 a day more than the last guy I had who was 50..

I pay him £6.50 PER HOUR which he thinks is great after his last job POT WASHING  He loves the outdoors and I only have to shout at him now and then. He was late once and he won't be again or I'll use my brodex as a lollipop stick ha! I'm firm with him if he's being a donut but most of the time he's spot on but I think I have made him realise where we stand from the off?

;D ;D ;D Love the way you put that!!

cozy

« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2011, 04:06:22 pm »
I had people working for me when I had the Army contracts in the 90's and did big jobs like hospitals and schools. Some were old sweats at the game but only wanted part time work. Paid them the average that good shiners get but no bonus. Had a few 18 year olds over the years too. Only one was a born shiner. He worked with me for about 2 weeks then I could leave him on his own on domestic work. 100%. Off he'd go down a street like a bloody wind up train.
He eventually got a place in colllage to train as a lab tech or something. Another guy I taught ws a Turkish guy. Another natural shiner. He's a foreman at a big industrial cleaning firm now and runs teams of shiners on big jobs. He could work alone to a very high standard after only about 6 months. I had him on all the big jobs and alone on doestics.
I always praised them when they were good, paid a few little bonuses when deserved, and praised them to my custies infront of them. I think that helps.
When I had to dicepline someone, I'd always do that in private, something I learned from the army and books I've read.

People crave recognition too, money isn't the only incentive. I always tried to make my workers feel appreciated.

Helen

« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2011, 04:08:16 pm »
gold do you employ???

Sorry but what kind of incentive is £7 an hour?? His only incentive is that if he dosn't do enough work then he might get the sack!! So he is going to do just enough to keep his job at best! He won't even be that bothered if he does lose his job, so won't be that bothered about the quality of his work either!! Surely there has to be some kind of incentive? I am planning on taking someone on soon and I am planning on giving them a percentage of turnover rather than a flat rate, that way he will feel more a part of the business and have more pride in his work (hopefully) If he proves himself a good worker I plan to get him his own van and to increase his percentage after a year.

That's fine if you do it that way, but wait till you get to having pay his holiday money, you'll have to check out how it's done, but it used to be an average over a certain period of time and even if they had been off sick you had to equate that into the calculations. What % are you thinking of paying on a  A)totally new person to window cleaning or B) someone with experience. Once you have paid out for a new van and equipment and all related costs do you really think a % way is the best forward?

poleman

« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2011, 04:36:08 pm »
I have a pee bottle in the van which gets used daily!

I have gone through about 8 staff in the past two years! which is a pain but I would like to earn good money!

Keep in mind its a employers market! as there is high unemployment!

I get all my employees from gumtree  :)

bobby p

« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2011, 04:50:35 pm »
ive been mulling it over today ,this morning  he really annoyed me by wiping a filthy scrubber on the side of my van but couldnt remember doing it , so he said .    We also turned up at a grannies today who said thank god you are here,my husbands collapsed,can you lift him up- well i got him up and hes alrite but my lad kept  asking them such stupid questions such as whats that smell in here etc

until i find somebody potentially better,i have decided to keep him on a very tight leash . EVERY window he does has now  to be checked and double checked woe betide if i see a streak (i was catching a few for him)  , no more texting his mate when in my van, basically im going to push him harder and see what happens

good idea about the pee bottle-i will be getting him one sharpish

Alistair@AWC

« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2011, 04:56:52 pm »
Bobby,

Do yourself a favour and just get rid. I would have slapped or sacked (or both) him weeks ago!

G Griffin

« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2011, 05:47:29 pm »
ive been mulling it over today ,this morning  he really annoyed me by wiping a filthy scrubber on the side of my van but couldnt remember doing it , so he said .    We also turned up at a grannies today who said thank god you are here,my husbands collapsed,can you lift him up- well i got him up and hes alrite but my lad kept  asking them such stupid questions such as whats that smell in here etc

until i find somebody potentially better,i have decided to keep him on a very tight leash . EVERY window he does has now  to be checked and double checked woe betide if i see a streak (i was catching a few for him)  , no more texting his mate when in my van, basically im going to push him harder and see what happens

good idea about the pee bottle-i will be getting him one sharpish

You shouldn`t have lifted the old chap up really. You could have done him more harm than good.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Gav Camm lammy 283

« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2011, 05:57:14 pm »
just slap him about a bit  ;D ;D ;D
LET YOUR PANES BE MY PLEASURE

"If CALSBERG did WINDOW CLEANING
 it would be C.C.C  Probably the best WINDOW CLEANERS IN THE WORLD ..........."

JSMC

« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2011, 06:06:51 pm »
up her ein scotland i reckon it be even harder a sbefor ethey go working you need a licence and insurance. This could cost guys a few quid to keep changing workers.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2011, 08:07:20 pm »
he might be diabetic
   hes also often asking to go for a number 2 !  (i absolutely forbid that on customers property)

-  whats weird is that less than 5 minutes after telling me hes gagging to go ,he then says " ummm,actually i dont want to go  now,false alarm "  just as im thinking wheres the nearest loo.   

writing this thread has made me realize that he is causing me grief and  i dont need it- will be looking for another lad and will sideline the one ive got

I think you need to take one on who wears a colostomy bag.

ronnie paton

« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2011, 08:44:42 pm »
gold do you employ???

if you think £7 per hour is a bad wage for a 19 year old

Ronnie, what is a bad wage for a 19 year old?
matt its ment to say good ....well seen  ;D

ronnie paton

« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2011, 08:50:28 pm »
gold do you employ???

ground hog do you employ??

do you know the cost in employing???

i actually dont pay my staff £7 per hour i apy them a percentage but trust me when i say its doesnt matter they will still try and cut corners and take the p.

i could go on about the cost of running a BUSINESS not a round but i know from first hand experience i pay my staff well that get good yearly bonus team building trips  and meals but it still is never and i mean never easy

bobby p

« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2011, 09:11:30 pm »
Ronnie p - you being experienced and all that, what stuff do you put up with? or is it zero tolerance for you?      im small fry  ,just me +the lad but im thinking if i was bigger,with a huge round needing doing, you surely cant sack somebody so easily as who will do the work the next day

awcs

« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2011, 09:16:32 pm »
always got an empty bottle in the van. you never know when the pee fairy will strike !!!

bobby p

« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2011, 09:19:40 pm »
always got an empty bottle in the van. you never know when the pee fairy will strike !!!
1 litre bottle? but i dont want my van reeking of his spilt pee. howabout a bucket ,with a lid, or small pedal bin ??

Dave66

« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2011, 09:29:43 pm »
if you need a no.2 you have no choice but to go behind a shed or such  :D
plenty of cream...plenty of sugar!

paul saunders

« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2011, 09:32:37 pm »
I have a pee bottle in the van which gets used daily!

I use a bucket, as you get older you can't aim as well, and the hole in the top of a bottle aint a very big target to hit.  ;D
I can remember when waking up stiff in the morning was a good thing.

boshravie

« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2011, 09:45:41 pm »
I had people working for me when I had the Army contracts in the 90's and did big jobs like hospitals and schools. Some were old sweats at the game but only wanted part time work. Paid them the average that good shiners get but no bonus. Had a few 18 year olds over the years too. Only one was a born shiner. He worked with me for about 2 weeks then I could leave him on his own on domestic work. 100%. Off he'd go down a street like a bloody wind up train.
He eventually got a place in colllage to train as a lab tech or something. Another guy I taught ws a Turkish guy. Another natural shiner. He's a foreman at a big industrial cleaning firm now and runs teams of shiners on big jobs. He could work alone to a very high standard after only about 6 months. I had him on all the big jobs and alone on doestics.
I always praised them when they were good, paid a few little bonuses when deserved, and praised them to my custies infront of them. I think that helps.
When I had to dicepline someone, I'd always do that in private, something I learned from the army and books I've read.

People crave recognition too, money isn't the only incentive. I always tried to make my workers feel appreciated.

Well said cozy .

ronnie paton

« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2011, 10:08:23 pm »
Ronnie p - you being experienced and all that, what stuff do you put up with? or is it zero tolerance for you?      im small fry  ,just me +the lad but im thinking if i was bigger,with a huge round needing doing, you surely cant sack somebody so easily as who will do the work the next day
I'm not a big fry, no your right you can't have a no tolerence but you have to draw a line.

My main issue is the standards if that is kePt high I would have less problems, if I sacked them I would doma little more till replaced.

G Griffin

« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2011, 10:33:29 pm »
1 litre bottle? but i dont want my van reeking of his spilt pee. howabout a bucket ,with a lid, or small pedal bin ??

A pedal bin?  ;D
The lid isn`t secure. That`ll stink your van out.
Do you think he wants to go to the toilet all the time, or is it just an excuse to stop work?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

bobby p

Re: my new lad- feel hes a loser New
« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2011, 06:57:17 am »
i suppose every man is different but hes peeing at least 8times,maybe more, in the working day. enough that its delaying the work as he also has to find a hidden spot each time too.

this morning im going to have a talk with him, not about that, but to make it clear to him that his timekeeping and stupidity has got to stop . also his phone will be switched off at work and no wearing sunglasses unless its actually sun ,thereby he will  see streaks  better.

this weekend will buy a pee bucket and it will be his to wash out / also today i will be placing a small ad in a shop for a 2nd worker  and will be juggling the 2  for a while

by the way,he is 22, has never worked before, his mum shoved him forward to the job,she seems a grafter herself  but im not going bothering her, in a bid to get her coaxing him along .