Jackal

Re: LADDERMAT-heres a warning
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2010, 08:31:44 pm »
like gav says spikes are a must theres no chance i would use a normal ladders feet to do half of my round i just couldnt trust them,ideal for any soft ground they aint going anywhere.

bobby p

« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2010, 08:37:07 pm »
wish i ad seen it cud be 250 quid richer
selling it to youve bin framed lol
morale of the story fella fit spikes  ;D ;D ;D ;D
as it happens i do have another ladder with spikes ! but i could not see a decent crack-gap between those tiles  .plus the tiles were laid in that diamond fashion , looked as if a spike might not catch  in enough . 

LESSONS LEARNED for sure . avoid tiles

Gav Camm lammy 283

« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2010, 08:39:13 pm »
bobby spikes will always catch m8
never ad a problem wiv em always find some where to stick em m8  ;)
LET YOUR PANES BE MY PLEASURE

"If CALSBERG did WINDOW CLEANING
 it would be C.C.C  Probably the best WINDOW CLEANERS IN THE WORLD ..........."

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2010, 08:53:38 pm »
This reminds me that I actually had a near death experience with the laddermatts. Green courtyard, slate like paving tiles. And luckily I had ladder mitts at the top, because the ladder slid down about 4 foot and only stopped because of the laddermitts. I tiptoed off the ladder, heart throbbing in my throat and head.

I actually haven't used them since I don't think.  ;D

We've been lucky, but we both used it because the manufacturer said it was safe to do so!!! Very bad, we could have been killed, or been scooting around with no legs.

traps7

« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2010, 09:05:25 pm »
I wouldnt have even put a ladder on those tiles. I've got a ladder matt, but used to use it for levelling or for not denting lawns, not as anti-slip device when I was trad. I wouldn't trust it even though the manufacturer says it's fine. And as for spikes, I wouldn't trust them either. Also they're gonna wreck those tiles. 
Some windows should just be left. It's just not worth it.

mci services

« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2010, 09:08:27 pm »
stan, gav, any spike users the only thing I can't my head around with spikes is on solid flat surfaces like from a road or pavement,

I have a short ladder for bottoms and have spikes on that and even at stupid angles it has never budged, but I can't get my head round using it on a 3m double from solid flat surfaces with no cracks etc

Gav Camm lammy 283

« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2010, 09:10:59 pm »
stu av faith they work gr8 ;D ;D ;D

Sean Dyer

« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2010, 09:13:01 pm »
il say it again any tradder wiv out
spikes is asking for trouble
a tenner gets you a set of spikes job done simples  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Where did you get them Gav? I've been wanting some for ages.

browns ladders at BREIRFIELD  near Burnley,get 3 diffrent lenghts.
had mine made in an engineering shop,have a few sets,one is 20 year old,when the ladders worn i swop them to the new ladder

I need to get some spikes machined have you go the details for the place you use stan? might try em, could do with getting them fitted too i have no tools.

cheers

Gav Camm lammy 283

« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2010, 09:16:17 pm »
u nin manchester sean try the place in
farnworth ;)

Jackal

« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2010, 09:22:17 pm »

clearlyclean

« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2010, 09:22:54 pm »
if some one used spikes and start putting holes in my path to clean the windows and the windie said" i need to do that to stop my ladder slipping" I dont think i wouldnt be too impressed and be looking for an alternative and I thought ladders should only be used if there is no other alternative way of cleaning the window.Just hope you dont have to make a claim your insurance may refuse to pay.when i use to do plasterering on site we use to make hop ups out of a scaffold board and bits of timber great to work on and then H&S said we cant use them because they have got a KITE mark on them and if we fell we wouldnt get swart.If you fell and the ladder hit a car or a child in the street you could be in deep doggiedoodoo. I think this is another plus for WFP
All the same Im glad your okay    

Central Window Cleaners

« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2010, 01:41:07 pm »
I swear by these, have used them on surfaces like thus without any problem even in the winter

gewindows

« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2010, 01:58:31 pm »
stu av faith they work gr8 ;D ;D ;D

Thats what the bloke at Laddermat thinks too.

I cant for the life of me believe that people go up ladders that are simply sat on concrete on 2 silly metal spikes that are intended to be buried in earth. If you had an accident with those things and damaged your custards property your insurance company would run a mile. Theres a clear and well defined line between stupidity and a rational decision made with careful consideration and adequately assessed.

I know which side of the line using spikes on concrete is and it isnt complimentary.

bobby p

« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2010, 03:41:23 pm »
THE FOLLOW-UP -  i emailed laddermat and the inventor emailed me back today. He is sorry to hear i fell and suprized as he had not heard of anybody falling. he states "theres always an element of risk even when using a safety device "

in addition he sent me a pdf file of results of a recent safety test a laboratory carried out suspending a 150kg swinging weight under the 9th rung up and these tests were carried out on a grass surface and a concrete surface .no slip was recorded
------------------------------------------------------------------------
 thing is,these  tests werent done on a slippery type of  surface, yet the advertising blurb on laddermats video   says thats what its designed/safe to use it on

my ankle swelled a bit last night,and when i woke this morn my body ached bigtime-however as the day has wore on im sure its all  easing. thanks for all your good wishes lads  :)

tomy jackson

« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2010, 04:53:22 pm »
time two go WFP walst you still can  :o

andyM

« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2010, 05:21:59 pm »
I rarely use a ladder these days but when I do I use LaddaLimpet

http://www.laddatec.com/gallery.htm

One of the Plebs

George P

« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2010, 10:58:13 pm »
thats not strictly true, we have had a ladder go with them on and fitted correctly, insurance and h & s guys said it was just one of those things, come to think of it they still have ours.
Have any of you seen the laddermate

Ladders will not fall if you have the laddermate on properly

Bryan

gewindows

« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2010, 11:03:16 pm »
and i find it hard to believe you cleaned all day with a stand off on  ;D

See we've evolved down here mate, its called preservation   ;D  ;D

Neil kell

« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2010, 12:56:20 am »
On that type of surface there was always gonna be a risk. Normal rule of thumb ofcourse is the usual 1:4 or 75 degree angle, I'd definitely go steeper on that surface as it would be like an ice rink with the early morning dew. Sand bags would be your only man there. Place a sand bag on the bottom rung of the ladder to mimic it being footed and then with the other safety precautions, 3 palmer grip, don't carry anything up, don't over extend etc, you should be fine. Youv'e been led into a false sense of complacency with your ladder mat. As you said earlier, you like to work traditional, stay traditional, dump the ladder matt and stay safe.

Neil.
Bundled cleaning solutions

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2010, 09:26:40 am »
On that type of surface there was always gonna be a risk. Normal rule of thumb ofcourse is the usual 1:4 or 75 degree angle, I'd definitely go steeper on that surface as it would be like an ice rink with the early morning dew. Sand bags would be your only man there. Place a sand bag on the bottom rung of the ladder to mimic it being footed and then with the other safety precautions, 3 palmer grip, don't carry anything up, don't over extend etc, you should be fine. Youv'e been led into a false sense of complacency with your ladder mat. As you said earlier, you like to work traditional, stay traditional, dump the ladder matt and stay safe.

Neil.

If you weight 75Kg and you nearly fall over because it's so slippery, a sandbag will do nothing at all. You need spikes.

http://www.ladderm8.co.uk/

Not just a few spikes on the ladders feet, but a whole mat of them.  :)