trudi

Cleaning new builds
« on: July 20, 2007, 05:58:59 pm »
I run a  domestic cleaning company but have been approached by a construction company to submit a quotation to clean 86 new homes (builders clean). Could anyone give me some advice on how to price up eg, per day or per house etc. Any help would be much appreciated.

Trudi

richyvezy

Re: Cleaning new builds
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 06:11:46 pm »
Trudi

I'm sure someone in the know will assist you soon but I'm just curious as to how people just 'get approached' by these construction companies ??

Richy

martin19842

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 07:22:24 pm »
trudi

you will have to price per clean per plot, you wont have a choice about that.

they will want to see cscs, method statements, risk assessments, coshh, public liability, h and s, etc

regards

martin

dg-cleaning

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 07:26:57 pm »
if u are just cleaning the buildings after completion then do u need the card for cis(cscs is this same thing,sorry if thats a thick question?) we clean cabins on sites but not the actual new builds,always wanted to get in to it though.

Bertie Boo

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 07:31:02 pm »
hi martin

what is 'cscs' and what do you mean when they say they will want to 'see' COSHH?

cheers

stephen

dhnjj

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 10:34:19 pm »
Hi

CSCS is the construction skills certificate scheme, they issue a "cscs card" which you use to show you are aware of and competant at health and safety. This requires you to take a health and safety test. (its not the same as a CIS card though which is/was for tax purposes)

www.cscs.uk.com

COSHH stands for the "control of substances hazardous to health" governed by regulation and requires all employers to carry out an assessment of risk on each of the chemicals they use that could be harmful to employees (and clients employees, visitors etc) basically a risk assessment but with your cleaning chemicals.

a good introduction to the regs is here http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg136.pdf

Regards

Dave   :)

Failure lies not with falling down.
Failure lies with not getting back up!

Bertie Boo

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 10:49:59 pm »
Hi Dave

I know what COSSH stands for (!) lol, but i didnt realise you had to do a risk assement specfically for the products you use. Cheers for that. I shall view the links.

Stephen

trudi

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2007, 09:21:25 am »
Thanks you for all your comments, sorry had to log off just after posting question. As for being "approached" - I wrote to this company when they were developing a site last year and never heard anything and I suppose they have just kept my details. Yesterday they sent 25 drawings of various homes to be built and a comprehensive list of what they need cleaning but regardless of all this info its still a daunting task and not an area I feel comfortable in.  I have been running a domestic cleaning company for 18 months now and never ventured into builders cleans. It will most certainly mean taking on more staff and that then poses more headache. I did contact HMRC regarding CIS certificate.  Apparently they no longer issue a certificate but confirm you are registered when the construction company calls.
Many thanks for all your comments
Trudi

dg-cleaning

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2007, 09:41:34 am »
One of the sites we work at the moment is cleaning the cabins for a construction site however at completion they have said they will sort our workers out with cis exam or something to get registered.I need to ask about this actually this week as don't know much about it,we never ventured in to new builds but like I say its something I would be very interested in.How much does this cis card cost to take the exam ore whatever is required?

trudi

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2007, 10:41:33 am »
The little knowledge I have of CIS certificates is that you ring up HMRC and give over you business details etc and thats about it? I think. They don't issue a certificate now. There is as mentioned by other member  of another cerficate in relation to H & S for which I presume you complete a course. All a bit of a mind field. 
Trudi

martin19842

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2007, 05:48:34 pm »
hi there

most of the major developers now work on the following

NO cscs card, no on site entry,

even with delivery drivers.

regards

martin

J. Deans

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2007, 11:09:08 am »
Forget CIS.
There is no longer a CIS card system.
It is simply confusing people that have never been involved in cleaning within the construction industry.

CSCS is not compulsory by law.
It is a scheme to ensure that that the various trades involved in construction are health & safety aware - in particular, relating to their own trade.
Some developers insist on them - even for cleaners - but not all do.

So before you take the test - check that the developer requires it!

They start at 'visitor' level and go right up to senior management.
As a cleaner, the best card to apply for is the 'white' card.
This is called a 'Construction Related Occupation' card (CRO)

The website http://www.cscs.uk.com is not very user friendly.
But it is possible to book a test if you follow this guidance:

Click 'Book a H&S Test'
Follow the instructions until you get to: 'Exam Selection' Then click 'OPERATIVES'
The rest is, where, when and personal/payment details etc.
The test costs £17.50 and lasts for 30 minutes.

Now, as for 'New-Build Cleaning:
When you submit your tender, your prices are per clean - per house.
Most developers will require 3 cleans per property:

Build Clean.
Re-Clean.
Sparkle Clean.

For more info on the cleans and how to price - PM me please.

New-Build cleaning is very different from domestic, commercial and Industrial cleaning.
It has it's pro's and con's compared to other types of cleaning - but as with all cleaning - it can be very hard work and sometimes it can be money for nothing.

Every developer will have different requirements.
Every site will have different procedures.
Every house will have different challenges.

It is not something to go into light-heartedly.
Be prepared for:
No work for days or weeks at a time.
Too much work for days or weeks at a time.
Work a month - wait another month to get paid (if you are lucky!)
5% retention fee (2.5% repayable on site completion - the other 2.5% 12 months later)
Very little thanks - lots of complaints.
Witholding payment for very little reason.
Minimum £5 million Public & Products Liability Insurance.
£10 million Employers Insurance.
Etc. etc. etc...

Good luck...

Jonny jones

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2007, 01:12:30 pm »
 hi trudy, hey wasnt j deans a ray of sunshine, , anyway im doing a builders cleans in a large primary school, yes deans was right with insurances and stuff, but i havent got a cscs card and nobody has ever asked for the card from me, the only problem i see with builders cleans is they never finish when they say they will.

any way i price my jobs on a £12 per hour per person and i estimate how much time it would take me.

so good luck and dont let them grind you down cos this could be a good earner for you.

thanx jonny

let castle take the hassle

trudi

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2007, 04:44:51 pm »
lots of advice which I am very grateful for.  The pricing side of things is obviously where I need to be careful.  As much as I would like the contract I'm not going to work for nothing, I very much stick to my guns with domestic enquiries and if customers think I'm too pricey then there are plenty others to try. I tend to price my domestic cleans at £30 - £40 per hour for two cleaners. But its obviously different cleaning on a building site! With regards to CIS/CSC cards they have only requested CIS certificate but I will get confirmation on that now it has been suggested I may need different certificates. Oh the joys of working for yourself!!

Trudi

Bertie Boo

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2007, 08:35:24 pm »
Johnny

Ray of sunshine or otherwise, what J Deans said was certainly food for thought for anyone conisdering doing these builders cleans.

Cheers

Stephen

martin19842

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2007, 09:59:32 pm »
hi there

negotiate the rentention out, retention on cleaning is a nonsense.

regards

martin

J. Deans

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2007, 03:03:21 pm »
Hi.
'Ray of Sunshine' here again.

Sorry if I made it sound depressing, but you gotta tell it like it is.

Yes, it is possible to negotiate with the retention fee, but only to the point where they may give it all back at site completion.
The retention fee is to make sure you don't do a vanishing act before the end of the contract. Or if you go bust, they will use your money to pay for a 'dearer' cleaning firm that did not get the contract in the first place.

trudi

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2007, 03:33:57 pm »
Thanks again to everyone for their help & advice.  Sending off quote today, a lot more confidently thanks to you guys. Will let you know outcome. Many thanks
Trudi :)

PHILC

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2007, 06:27:16 pm »
I agree with Mr deans as he said its not something to go into without any knowledge otherwise you will get your fingers burnt make sure you have a very detailed scope of works with everthing that you are expected to do

Also allways ensure you have got worksheets for each house /apartment listing exactly what you have cleaned and get them signed off, by whoever is incharge of you ,everytime you finish a phase of cleaning.