jasonl

Re: Severe Mold Problem
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2010, 10:06:25 pm »
I definately would not walk , I would sanitize, clean and write a short report stating that the situation is serious and needs remedial works carrying out,and that I have only carried out emergency measures.
I would charge about £100 for thiat.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Colin Day

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2010, 10:14:33 pm »
I see what you're saying Jason. But the way I am seeing it is the landlord's aware of the situation.... He wants it all cleaned to mask a severe problem so some other poor unsuspecting family move in.... If a child ended up seriously ill or worse, I don't think I could live with that....

cml

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2010, 06:54:57 am »
Hi in situations like this where there is severe condensation there could be one of two things.

1. Neglect by the tenant for having too much furniture and stuff in the room, overheating the property and not letting air into the rooms by opening windows or doors or

2. Landlord neglect - a property that suffers generally from damp and condensation who may have had it temporarily covered up by some antifungal wash or stain blocker only for it to surface again at some later date, unforturnatley for this tenant.

Condensation is a H&S problem and can cause serious illness as stated. Landlords  thas been sued time and time again for this type of problem and will try and get away with it where they can.  Under L&T Act he has a duty to ensure that that the propery is safe where a problem arises i.e adequate DPC applied to walls etc.   If this is the case the landlord can shout from the roof tops because no court will allow a landlords legal repairing obligation to be passed to the tenant.  The only way this could be done is if the tenant fixes the problem and off sets this with their rent.

Therefore unless you are sure it is just mould to carpet, I agree that you leave it and report your findings

neil 47

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2010, 10:13:57 am »
Colin

Colin
If you feel uneasy about doing this, listen to what your conscience is telling you.

If ever i have any doubts  I always leave it

Neil   

Ps looks like trouble

Neil   
IICRC

Phillip Mold

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2010, 03:11:00 pm »
This problem really is nothing to do with me, I wish people would use the English spelling of Mould !!
Doing the best job in the world as well as I can

Joe H

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2010, 03:24:11 pm »
 ;D

jasonl

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2010, 03:57:09 pm »
The seriousness of this is the very reason that I would not leave or walk away from this ,, so long as you qualify the position and make clear that this is a temporary "sticking plaster" rather than a full solution you are doing a great service to the customer. Otherwise you are leaving them in a home  , which you know is unhealthy.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Colin Day

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2010, 04:00:18 pm »
This problem really is nothing to do with me, I wish people would use the English spelling of Mould !!

I googled it to make sure I'd spell it right ??? Sorry if I've got you in any bother Mr Mould ;D ;D ;D

Colin Day

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2010, 04:01:39 pm »
The seriousness of this is the very reason that I would not leave or walk away from this ,, so long as you qualify the position and make clear that this is a temporary "sticking plaster" rather than a full solution you are doing a great service to the customer. Otherwise you are leaving them in a home  , which you know is unhealthy.

They've moved out Jason and I've walked anyway.

expro

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2010, 04:21:00 pm »
Colin,

In no way can this be described as a cleaning job.

It is a rip up and throw away job.
Expro

jasonl

« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2010, 04:33:04 pm »
For future reference , I have been involved with jobs like this that have been VERY lucrative , like 50grand lucrative, Mould can be worse than asbestos, in that when asbestos is gone it is gone.

Mould , if not properly treated can and will return. It  is well worth either learning to or partnering with somebody who is into this kind of work , often  the carpet cleaner is the first port of call and can refer and make a commission.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Colin Day

« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2010, 04:38:10 pm »
For future reference , I have been involved with jobs like this that have been VERY lucrative , like 50grand lucrative, Mould can be worse than asbestos, in that when asbestos is gone it is gone.

Mould , if not properly treated can and will return. It  is well worth either learning to or partnering with somebody who is into this kind of work , often  the carpet cleaner is the first port of call and can refer and make a commission.

Thanks very much for the advice and I'll certainly take on board what you've said. I never thought of it from that angle Jason.... In fact, I've got connections in the building trade.... Mmmmmm! ;)

murky

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2010, 04:54:58 pm »
I think the tennant has a good case to go to Rent tribunal for a refund on her rent. That mould is a building prob and looks like bad ventilation.

We have  a flat we rent out, tennants managed to lock themselves into the kitchen, so they found the tool kit in there and bashed their way out!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We replaced the door and took the costs off their deposit, they fought it and went to tribunal.

Judge said we should have tried all locks to see that they worked (they have for the last 5 years) and took the cost of the hinges and the paint off the final bill because the old hinges could be used again and we didnt need to paint it

Oh and its a ground floor flat, so could have jumped out the window and let himself in. I know, dont ask.

My point is that the judge will almost probably fall on the side of the tennant.

lesterM

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2010, 06:07:37 pm »
I am glad you walked.     Its all a matter of self image.  I like to think I am a cleaner.   Once upon a time I was a remedial builder.  Taking off one hat and putting on the other   adds a 0 at the end of the bill.   
No Job Too Odd.
Dont Panic - let us do it for you.
Pure dealers since 1746

Andrew Briscoe

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2010, 07:52:49 pm »
Had my niece working for me today, she lives in a rented house, it has a mould/damp problem, other day she had an asthma attack, which was first in a long time.

She regularly airs the rooms, she reported it to her landlady, who sent her a text back, saying " give me plenty of notice before you send keys back"  :o

told her to take photos, see her doctor, and pay citizens advice a visit, will tell her to get in touch with rent tribunal.

Andrew

Joe H

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2010, 08:16:41 pm »
Be interesting to hear how that develops Andrew, keep in touch.
Not very sympathetic view from the landlady knowing how serious asthma attacks can be. (paid enough visits to hospital when my son suffered badly with it in his teens).

Colin Day

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2010, 08:23:50 pm »
I think that landlady just might regret sending that text, I'd be straight to the news papers to name and shame her ;D

John Kelly

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2010, 08:25:04 pm »
Thanks very much for the advice and I'll certainly take on board what you've said. I never thought of it from that angle Jason.... In fact, I've got connections in the building trade.... Mmmmmm! ;)

Colin, most builders wouldn't know what to do about these situations if it was growing out their ears. And that goes for a lot of Chartered surveyors as well.
Like Jason we do this work in a seperate business. Its a big problem especially in double glazed properties where the moisture created by cooking, washing, drying clothes, even breathing, can't escape and ends up condensing in the fabric of the building. It is very serious. Every square centimetre of visible mould (the visible part is only the fruiting body and a small part of the actual fungus) can give off up to 200, 000 fungal spores. These can cause long term lung and even brain damage.
By the way that one looks more like a penetrating damp issue. Anyone with similar problems contact a surveyor from here: http://www.isse.org.uk/ they should be able to help or advise you.

Colin Day

« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2010, 08:29:52 pm »
I didn't persue it any further, too busy I'm glad to say :)

This house was single glazed with inadequate heating....