Colin Day

Severe Mold Problem
« on: March 20, 2010, 06:43:59 pm »
I went to price this job up today. Really damp house with moldy thread bare carpets that the landlord is demanding the tennant has professionally cleaned.

Will M-Power sort this out or am I going to have to go in with harder chems? Also, does mold this bad pose a health risk and should I be wearing the correct PPE....?

Colin Day

Re: Severe Mold Problem
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 06:45:53 pm »
More yummy pictures.... ;D

neil 47

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 06:56:38 pm »
Colin

I sprayed some of this on carpets and agitated similar to that and they came up great.

Neil
IICRC

lesterM

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 07:16:22 pm »
That looks more like wet rot coming through from the wood underneath. Always best wear protection.
No Job Too Odd.
Dont Panic - let us do it for you.
Pure dealers since 1746

robert meldrum

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 07:32:55 pm »
Think there's a fair bit of rot in there which might NOT be " cleanable " used to be an excellent product from Bio Productions which gave me some unexpectedly good results on this type of problem.

Part of Stapro ............

Colin Day

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 07:34:42 pm »
Colin

I sprayed some of this on carpets and agitated similar to that and they came up great.

Neil
I've got some of that as well.... :)

You're right LesterM, It'll be a face mask and disposable overalls this Thursday.....

peter maybury

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 07:56:54 pm »
you would be better to treat the area with a product such as mill-kill to try to inhibit its return. The colour change is often discolouration rather than staining so cannot always be reversed.

Peter
www.carpetcleanersnewport.co.uk

jasonl

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 08:34:57 pm »
you would be better to treat the area with a product such as mill-kill to try to inhibit its return. The colour change is often discolouration rather than staining so cannot always be reversed.

Peter
www.carpetcleanersnewport.co.uk

Just to expand on this, what you applied will remove the staining well, and quell the odour. Aproduct such as mil-kill/milgo  will actually kill the cause of the mould or mildew, though looking at the picture there seems to be a deeper, more serious cause of the mould, which is not really a carpet issue.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Mr Dvae

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 04:47:59 am »
looks like a health and safety job to me , i think we should start running chemical courses and 'How to' days to inform people of what to and how to solve problems.
shame suppliers charge such hefty money to learn the industry courses.

Paul Redden Countryfresh

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 07:11:35 am »
A disclaimer stating you are not responsible for damage should the pile fly out on cleaning  :o
"So basically its a big vax!"

cml

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 08:44:19 am »
Hi,

You may want to lift a corner of the carpet to see if the problem extends down to the floor boards and if so after cleaning you might want to recommend that the landlord get those boards checked to ensure there is not any form of raising damp occuring which would be a bigger problem than just cleaning the carpets.  Otherwise this problem will keep comming back.

Good luck

from edge2edge

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 09:45:30 am »
Morning Colin I assume you have told the tenant to have more than a word about the mold as it isnt acceptable to not deal with such an obvious problem.I am sure you will do everything possible to clean/sanitize these carpets but to me its a throw away job as the Landlord surely is taking the P.Best of luck anyway mate and hope things are going well for you in sunny Cornwall.Regards Alan(swindon)

adimarsh

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 09:50:20 am »
Sorry to disagree guy's. I wouldn't touch it. You may well remove the mildew etc but there is, as previously suggested, an underlying problem (see mould on the walls). I would advise the landlord to pull all the carpets up and inspect underneath. Temporary removal will not win any respect. If a trades person came to your home and just covered-up a problem instead of curing it would you use them again? Sometimes not doing the job is the better option.

adimarsh

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 09:56:27 am »
Just an afterthought. My neice, whilst living in student digs, actually sued a landlord some years ago for not sorting a damp problem in the house. She suffers from Asthma and this sort of mould/mildew is a health risk. Perhaps the landlord should be made aware of this.

The Great One

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 11:42:35 am »
Hi

There is actually The Landlords Act of 1995

A Landlord must ensure the property is airtight and watertight otherwise they are breaking the law

Regards

Martin 8)

Paul Heath

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2010, 01:52:53 pm »
Intersting one Colin...looks like you would be better to use your cooker cleaning chemicals  ;D Seriously i would make it clear from the start you might get rid of the mold, but the carpet might be perminatly damaged. I would say they want a dehumidifier running in the property. Best of luck with it, be good to see how you get on. :)

clinton

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2010, 03:56:31 pm »
Colin maybe you will have to replace the underlay as well..

craigp

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2010, 08:11:00 pm »
Hello, Some good advice above,

I recently went on an IICRC that covered mold, I would say the carpet should be thrown, the building needs drying, looks like a serious lack of ventilation.

Yes it can pose a health risk, its scares me that a family could move in here unaware, if they have ashma or allergies its really bad for them!

Really an expert is needed to advise. Tell them to get chemdry in because they know all about this and have the equipment and no how to deal with it. 

looks to me as though it needs cleaning, drying and fogging with a antimicrobal, ppe should be worn. conditions need to be looked at so it does not revert back to this state.

PS. If it were me I would walk away and tell them they need an expert, and suggest they call chemdry or simular flood damage company.

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2010, 09:54:39 pm »
Must admit I would walk from this.
I can't believe the previous tenants put up with living in such conditions but this looks like it has been going on for some time.
I can't see the point in doing the job. Even if you do some how manage to get it clean, the amount of moisture in the air as it dries is just going to make it re-appear soon again. Oh and if you are still going to do it, make sure the machine stays outside because you don't want all that blown back into the house.

Colin Day

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2010, 10:06:13 pm »
I've decided NOT to go ahead with this job. The tennants landlord seems adamant that she gets it cleaned and has made her life hell apparently. I will quote some of the comments made on here.... Thanks again, you may just have saved my health!