Jim_77

Citroen Relay
« on: August 21, 2009, 03:30:50 pm »
Anyone got a new style relay, 57 reg or later?

Just wondered about any reliability or build quality issues.

Likewise with the Fiat Ducato, seems as they're basically the same thing.

Ta :)

COLIN BRIGHT

Re: Citroen Relay
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 03:43:22 pm »
GOT AN O7 PLATE
NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEM SO FAR

Jim_77

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 03:49:28 pm »
is that the latest style colin?  not sure if they changed it at the 07 or 57 reg

Joe H

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 05:42:51 pm »
Hi Jim
Shaun has the Ducato.
Peugeot Boxer is the same vehicle too.
Think the Fiat may have a different engine to the Cit/Pug (who are in the same group).
My old 52 plated Relay is still going well (apart from battery failure that is) with 110k miles on the clock.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 06:54:31 pm »
I have an 08 Ducato and I think it's the best value for money van I have ever had smoother than my Transit with more power but a little bit wide so a bit tough on some drives, more power and far smoother than my transit. Compared to my VW transporter 2.2TD it's not quite as smooth but a lot more power and the clutch on the VW always burnt when I reversed up drives and I had 3 in 3 years but have never had a clutch on my Transit or Fiat may be because it's a heavier van.

Shaun

clinton

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 07:04:53 pm »
Hi jim

I myself have just purchased a brand new citroen dispatch vehicle and take delivery on the 1st sept :) and they do share the same engine as pergeot as joe said.

I would have gone for the relay but for the main reason is that it would not fit in my garage so i went for the dispatch as i wanted it garaged overnight.

The vehicles are all well built with good reports on them and have a great spec and ride comfort.

There are some great deals to be had around at the moment  :)

cheers

clinton

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 01:13:49 pm »
ive just got an 57 with 20k on the clock its as mint as they come lwb. hight top 6k + vat  seems to be ok

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 07:15:00 pm »
Is that through the trade Susan/Julian ?

Shaun

Joe H

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 08:00:37 pm »
Thats a very good price for a 57 with 20k miles. Very good indeed - makes it no point buying brand new with those savings.

Dave_Lee

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2009, 08:35:02 pm »
Jim,
Ive got a new style 57 plate from new. Excellent van.
Dave.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

Tony Gill Carpet Smart

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2009, 10:45:07 pm »
Jim 2.8 jtd in the ducato real good unit will fly even with a BLUELINE IN THE BACK ;) ;) ;) ;)
STAY YOUNG HAVE FUN BE HAPPY xx
www.carpetcleanersbridlington.co.uk

Jim_77

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 12:02:29 am »
Thanks guys, nice to hear some real world reviews.  Someone's trying to sell me a new van to go with my new machine ::) ::)

To be honest, Joe's comment is the only real sticking point.  I don't know if I can justify the sharp depreciation of a brand new van when you can pick up an 18 month old one at half the price.

The old tug o' war between head and heart :-\

You really would make a mess in your pants every time you opened your doors and saw this though wouldn't you :'(

Joe H

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2009, 07:43:33 am »
My comment, Jim, was in response to Susans comment.
Susan and her hubby have contacts in the business - maybe thats how she got such a good deal.
I looked on Ebay last night - lots of dealers flogging 56/57 but not as good as Susans deal.

but, hey, what wrong with a 57 plate with 20k miles on??
Does it matter it is not brand new?

And when it gets to 7 years old with 110k on the clock (mine) are you too bothered what it brings 2nd hand - its earnt its keep.

and when you can get a big chunk off list price then you can accept a big chunk of the 2nd hand price when you come to sell.

Do you not think Shaun thought this thro before he bought his Fiat?

clinton

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2009, 08:27:20 am »
Jim

Is this you new set up you want ???

Go or the new one mate you know you want too  ;D

Caint wait to pick mine up next week ;D

Tony Gill Carpet Smart

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2009, 02:49:27 pm »
Clinton BLUELINE  ;) ;)

clinton

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2009, 03:38:42 pm »
Tony

Ah ;D

Jim_77

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2009, 03:57:56 pm »
Understood, Joe.... it's a bit of a swings and roundabouts thing :)

Clinton - not necessarily the exact thing I want but will look pretty similar if I go ahead with it.  Damn right I want to, but gotta be sensible about investing how much in what!

What setup are you getting mate?

Dave_Lee

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2009, 04:21:55 pm »
Jim,
That could be my van, obviously it isnt but exactly the same. Blueline Thermal Wave 2 Vortec, fully lined, insulated and water proofed. Before I decided to get the full package from Alltec, I went back to the local Citroen dealership to get a price for the same van. Alltec supplied it £2,500 cheaper than they could do it for, even though I purchased my last Citroen Dispatch off the same dealership.
Dave.
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.

mark shannon

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2009, 05:17:16 pm »
I have an 08 Ducato and I think it's the best value for money van I have ever had smoother than my Transit with more power but a little bit wide so a bit tough on some drives, more power and far smoother than my transit. Compared to my VW transporter 2.2TD it's not quite as smooth but a lot more power and the clutch on the VW always burnt when I reversed up drives and I had 3 in 3 years but have never had a clutch on my Transit or Fiat may be because it's a heavier van.

Shaun

Agree love mine more roomy than many SWB, I get 480 miles for £70 diesal, nice drive and cab.

Fiat Ducato swb has Transit engine don't know about Relay.

Not bad stereo for a van :)

mark

clinton

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2009, 05:47:40 pm »
Jim

Sounds like you have made your mind up already and just need that push to spend ;D

I just wanted to go new with my van as its the main work tool so went for new and will last me for many years hopefully :)

I Am  goin to van mount the alltec 3vac in the new van and see how i get on with that.

Might upgrade next yr if i like the system too ;)

Already spent even more on the sign writing and new extras like vac,dryers,bufers,hoses,water tank etc so i  have spent a fair amount up to now...

Think if you have the  money then go for new :)

Got my ply line and bulkhead free in with the deal after i asked for it :)

cheers

derek west

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2009, 07:21:26 pm »
jim
surely if your investing all that money your gonna ditch sm?
derek

Jim_77

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2009, 07:42:02 pm »
shhh ;)

derek west

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2009, 08:22:40 pm »
good on ya mate, you've got the tools and the kernow how.
derek

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2009, 09:42:51 pm »
Who's van is it Jim?

The reason I buy new is that I have  got a full 3 years warranty with the van, imagine a TM that is ready for work but the van isn't! peace of mind albeit at a cost, you still have a loan to pay or other bills so it's better if you can keep on truckin IMO.

Shaun

Jim_77

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2009, 12:05:26 am »
Basically, I can get a blueline TM through SM, installed at alltec.  My plan is to pick up a decent 2nd hand van for about 6-7k but Robert wants to sell me the brand new package, with the overpriced plylining/waterproofing etc etc....

Excluding the truckmount/tanks/hoses the final price is 20k plus vat.

The little boy in me who likes toys says YEAH but the 25% Scots in me holding the purse strings says NOOOO.

Warranty is the poignant issue.  I've known several people take brand new relays and they've spent more time going back for warranty repairs than being out on the road.  It really has screwed them around.  But these were the previous model, like 04 to 56 plate kind of age.  Hence the question of this topic, now they've updated to the new design.

I've just bought a house, get the keys on fri, so my business is funding my personal life at the mo rather than generating spare capital to reinvest... therefore I haven't got oodles of spare cash knocking about to spunk on a shiny new van when 2nd hand will do just as well.

I think I've made my mind up... it'd be really nice but I think the brand spanker is my next move, not this one :)

Tony Gill Carpet Smart

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2009, 08:42:31 am »
Jim although i run a Renault Master i also have a Fiat Ducato tha Ducato is used as a base for thousands of motorhome builders and has a great reputation the only issues i am aware of is very early models ie before 2000 after very high milage developed sloppy linkage in the gear selectors next model upto i think 06 07 which is what i run no noted problems apart from a recall on the front brakes which you need to check has been done very easy check with a Fiat garage and an easy modification to do for FREE The latest model does have a very large issue with the reverse gear if you google fiat ducato reverse gear judder I know a number of people having this problem with motorhomes. In my opinion the Fiat engines are the best.

ps I still love the Renault Master

Cheers Tony

Jim_77

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2009, 10:46:48 am »
Thanks Tony.  Funnily enough, the linkage in my scudo went a bit "sloppy" a few years ago.... to the point of falling apart!  Got stuck outside a customer's house in 2nd gear, had to limp it 4 miles to garage :D

My scudo's a P reg, done 160k now, I've been driving it since about '03 when it had 90k on the clock.  The major mechanical stuff has been pretty good to be honest, it's all the little niggly things that fall off, break or stop working.

Joe H

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2009, 11:25:49 am »
Nothing really wrong with a Fiat - after all Michael Schumacher won many world championships in one!

Well Ferrari are part of the Fiat group.  ;)

Similarly with Citroen, Sebastian Loeb won many world titles too!.

Tony Gill Carpet Smart

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2009, 01:11:06 pm »
  Nice one Joe;D ;D ;D

There is a real prob on some of the latest new ones with reverse gear judder though.
Keep on TRUCKING ;) ;)

murky

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2009, 06:51:50 pm »
Jim,

Have a word with Bob Daines in Cambridge he's with SM same as you, he  bought a complete set up from Alltec about 6 months ago, think it was a Renault package he bought.

Murky

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2009, 07:50:00 pm »
we get quite alot out of the sales and trust me big vans are going cheap very cheap as people are down sizeing to smaller vans at the min , ok were lucky that we pay a rate rate of comshion as were trade , and we get the vat back this also helps

but if you are buying nearly new van say a year old with very little miles on the clock and is as not got two orange lights on the top  and a tow bar then you should be ok

if you see a van you like most sales will tell you whos been the fourmer keeper this way you can have an indear whats its been used for

alan lewis

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2009, 07:58:01 pm »
Jim

A mate of mine bought a new Relay about 18 months ago i think, it too has spent a fair bit of time in the dealers, a new gearbox amongst other things! but fortunately for him its all been under warranty, but as you say its the downtime and having to organise hire vans etc thats the real pain in the arse.... i know, with a Renault Trafic thats had 4 turbo's....... in less than 70,000 miles!!!! Am thinking of a new van myself...no poop i hear you say!!! have been thinking about a Crafter or Sprinter, i know they cost more but hopefully more reliable? or are they, has anyone got one of the aformentioned vehicles?

Alan

derek west

« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2009, 08:07:22 pm »
no disrespect alan, but 4 turbo's in 70k. do you not think it just might be the way you drive. ???
and same goes for gearboxes and clutches,
i personally think if you treat a vehicle with respect it'll see you right, unless your really unlucky and get a duffen.
derek
ps... watch mine fck up now. ;D

alan lewis

« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2009, 09:14:04 pm »
Well Derek

If never going over 3000rpm or doing more than 80mph on the motorway is abusing it, i think i might try thrashing the arse of it as i may like that better!! I have never had problems like this with any car or van ive owned, if anything i nurse them.

Seriously though i must have a pig in a poke with this one as Renault said to me the other day when a oil feed pipe seal to the turbo blew! it must be to heavy, but as ive mentioned to them there are others  with the same vehicle and similar set up inside that dont eat Turbo's and the turbo issue with the 1.9 engine go way back (Do a search on google) and started on the Laguna and Megane range of cars...so i know its not weight that causes the turbo failures and Renault have never questioned replacement of a turbo (2 under warranty and the last one of which they paid 40% towards the cost)

The last one was replaced at 62,000 ! ill keep you posted.

Alan

Jim_77

« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2009, 01:42:00 am »
Susan any MWB vans going at the mo?  1st choice is sprinter or crafter/LT but master, movano, ducato etc all considered

Alan, bad luck by the sounds of it.  Maybe you should thrash it around a bit, might rattle things in to place :D

Dave_Lee

« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2009, 04:20:43 pm »
Jim,
My 57 plate Relay is coming up 20,000 miles soon. Only time its been back to the dealers was early on for a recall job.
Dave.
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.

Darren O

« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2009, 05:16:51 pm »
Ive got a Nissan Primaster swb got it new on Nov06 nearly 3 years only thing ive had to replace is the brake pads all in its been a great van touch wood when i do upgrade to a truckmount i will be buying a mwb transit.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2009, 07:46:36 pm »
Dave I think I had the same recall can't remember what it was for something on the computer I think. To say I have a FIAT (fix. it. again. tomorrow) I haven't had a blip from it.

I paid inclusive of VAT and road fund SWB 2.2 diesel 110 bhp £10500 which I thought was an excellent price because I did have a good look around.

Shaun

carpetworx

« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2009, 02:37:33 am »
There over $47,000.00 here :(