edward coller

oldest operator in town
« on: November 29, 2014, 04:56:55 pm »
Just for fun guys and gals. Im a youthful 56 mmmm ??? and in my 15th year in the biz. Ive undergone a healthy regime in the last 18 months swimming, running,kettlercise to keep fit and to cope with the physicality of cleaning. Im seeing a shoulder consultant for tendon probs in my left shoulder and recovering from just over 3 months of sciatica, numbeness in my toes loss of strength and hobbling, great Chiropractor, still working cuz I need to Enjoy many aspects of the biz and need to work I guess till im 90! Some days im knackered 2 suites a day is just not fun though monies good.
So whos still working at this on the tools in their 60s/70s? and how do you do it, one job a day and charge premierplus rate? or what else to keep up with father time. cheers edwaqrd

Robin Ray

Re: oldest operator in town
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 05:23:23 pm »
I'm only 34 nearly 35 though :'( and i feel knackered already.

However I have been in business 15 years and was a scaffolder before hand so have probably done a couple of lifetimes of physical work already. Well done for keeping going full out at 56, my Dad still going at 65 and all he does is just eat well and work is his exercise. I would be interested in knowing the secret of getting to 70 without falling to bits myself?

des

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 05:27:24 pm »

Edward I am in my 34 th year
 and i can tell you the way forward is to get some one to help you  .My nephew and i can clean a 4 bed house in 2.5 hrs and then on to the next job .He has one job and then i have the other .Get home and still have time to go and play golf ps Im 61
des at mister clean

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 05:30:52 pm »
I'm 60 in February and have been carpet cleaning for 40 years. Still doing four jobs a day, sometimes seven days a week. Easy peasy. :)

Simon

Glynn

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 05:35:58 pm »
I'm 60 in February and have been carpet cleaning for 40 years. Still doing four jobs a day, sometimes seven days a week. Easy peasy. :)

Simon

4 jobs a day Simon ?, you lazy so & so…..
Regards
Glynn

*Hector*

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 05:44:18 pm »
He doesn't even do them himself... He has minions you know..  :P :P

;D
Everyday this forum slips further from God.  :'(

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2014, 06:06:32 pm »
Well I'm a knackered, decrepit, worn out 51 year-old. :'(

I made myself redundant,  took the money and ran.....and am enjoying every minute of it.

I'm probably the youngest ex-"operator in town".

Rog

PS My golf handicap has improved no end since I gave up carpet cleaning. ;D
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

stuart_clark

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2014, 09:01:23 pm »
Well I am 56 been in the business 24 years, most of the time I feel fine, although  I get cramp in my right hand occasionally probably all that wanding and handtools ! Lol
Although I could retire now, I dont see myself ever completely retiring as I get bored easily, if I haven't kicked the bucket in ten years I may do a couple of days a week to keep my hand in

Stuart

Richard Cole

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2014, 10:05:28 pm »
I'm 47 and started my carpet cleaning business back in 2010 so a relative newcomer and over the last 5 months the business has really taken off and i find i definitely need the weekends to recover.  I use to suffer from bad back's but since taken up c.c i have hardly had a problem, except this week when moving a sofa and i could hardly get out of the van at the end of the day.  Really wanted to take a couple of days off to recover but i had too much booked in so worked on and it actually helped it and it and i recovered within a couple of days.  I find the hardest thing is getting up in the morning as i feel all achy and stiff although 30 mins walking the dog usually sorts it out.
former carpet cleaner, now retired!

Kinver_Clean

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2014, 10:18:51 pm »
I finished in march after nearly 30 years. Only because I lost the enthusiasm and would rather be playing in the shed. I have a woodturning lathe for the wnter and a 1/2 size steam engine for the summer.
73 in a few months.
God must love stupid people---He made so many.

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2014, 12:34:17 am »
I can claim my pensions but  have not  I was struck down with  Cancer a few years back so i just do the jobs i want  and if i want a break I just take one ##

I keep thinking about taking on helper as I find I get snowballed from time to time and then I could be  more consistent

I need to keep my mind active and my body and I like it.

derikraven

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2014, 06:10:10 am »
I started carpet cleaning in1970, I'm 64 in January  :P

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2014, 10:24:16 am »
There's an old boy who lives near me that still cleans the odd carpet he's been cleaning since the 1950's I'm sure he's in his late 70's or 80's but he still gets his hands dirty so to speak, he has as stimvak, I used to pop in for a chat and a cuppa but it never get the time and most of the time he's out at his daughters or girl friends ;D

Shaun

C o z y

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2014, 12:27:11 pm »
Just for fun guys and gals. Im a youthful 56 mmmm ??? and in my 15th year in the biz. Ive undergone a healthy regime in the last 18 months swimming, running,kettlercise to keep fit and to cope with the physicality of cleaning. Im seeing a shoulder consultant for tendon probs in my left shoulder and recovering from just over 3 months of sciatica, numbeness in my toes loss of strength and hobbling, great Chiropractor, still working cuz I need to Enjoy many aspects of the biz and need to work I guess till im 90! Some days im knackered 2 suites a day is just not fun though monies good.
So whos still working at this on the tools in their 60s/70s? and how do you do it, one job a day and charge premierplus rate? or what else to keep up with father time. cheers edwaqrd

I'm still working at 56 lol. I work window cleaning from ladders too!! About 300 housesw/shops a month, plus about 10 hours a week carpets /upholstery work.  8) Love the carpet side of things, but getting rid of ladders in spring, and going waterfed pole on windows.
No still don't understand, I must be thick

JandS

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2014, 02:00:01 pm »
57 this Tuesday but only been cc'ing for 6 years.
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2014, 09:17:16 am »
I,m 64 and get down dirty every day 8) but will semi retire next year me thinx ;D

Hilton

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2014, 12:01:54 pm »
55 and sort of still cleaning, have other business interests,so no longer operate as a carpet cleaner except for fun now and again.

I am new to the world of being a grandad and love every minute of it although in my mind I'm still 21 so the little un' will keep me busy in years to come, I have no intention of ever retiring unless ill health forces it, I will carry on in business for as many years as possible.

Retirement age is a made up number anyway from the old industrialised days and is no longer relevant today.

I'm as fit as fiddle and intend staying that way and my old back problems that plagued me through my carpet cleaning days seem to have gone since I took up weight training a couple of years ago so hopefully it will remain that way for the next thirty years or so. ;D

edward coller

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2014, 04:35:36 pm »
That was very encouraging and I feel all keen again thanks guys and dolls, I need to remember im not down a coalmine and most of my customers are lovly people who make me lots of tea and pay the mortgage, and my daughters wedding on the 13th of Dec, so heres to the next 30 years, God willing!!!!!!! Ed.

Doug Holloway

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2014, 05:19:13 pm »
Hi Guys

56 and going strong.

20 mile cycle yesterday to keep up fitness levels and always buy with CC.

The main trouble I am finding is boredom, think I need to use my brain more!

Cheers

Doug

maxcampbell

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2014, 10:46:43 pm »
Here's another one - I'm 61 & working proper full time 5 days a week - my son does all the office stuff, so I don't even get a break to answer the phone.

Don't feel any different to 15 years ago, really - got knackered then & still do.

clive ware

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2014, 07:43:22 am »
So you`re out all day cleaning max while your son is sitting in the office. Do you think there`s somethings not quite right there?!!! :D

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2014, 11:48:05 am »
Talk about exploiting us oldies  ;D ;D

maxcampbell

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2014, 08:37:14 pm »
Just wearing out the old ones first. Frankly I prefer just keeping my head down & banging out the work (we have 2 techs as well) rather than all that hassle & thrusting "executive" crap.

jacko

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2014, 12:05:32 am »
Coming up to 60 and work physically 12 hour days - normally 5 days a week but work sats about once a month. always bizzy bizzy! Also sub out overflow work,and on top run a domestic cleaning agency.

Had leukaemia 4 years ago - 10 months chemo kept me off but back to full fitness and very good remision. Swim in the sea every day i can, only missed 12 since last Christmas!

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2014, 07:50:08 am »
Coming up to 60 and work physically 12 hour days - normally 5 days a week but work sats about once a month. always bizzy bizzy! Also sub out overflow work,and on top run a domestic cleaning agency.

Had leukaemia 4 years ago - 10 months chemo kept me off but back to full fitness and very good remision. Swim in the sea every day i can, only missed 12 since last Christmas!

You put me to shame then   How did you manage your business while having Chemo   . I got told not to do Carpet Cleaning due to the dust . Anyway I had a job called beat the Cancer. I remember you from a few years back looks like you have done ok

tim handley

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2014, 02:27:30 pm »
54, in my sedcond year and loving it.............. wish id started years ago................... 8)

Mike Halliday

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2014, 05:25:42 pm »
Don't you think it gets easier as you get older and more experienced? I'm enjoying work more now than years ago, I'm earning more money, the jobs are easier and I get less problem from customers and the carpets.

I think the older you are the more the customer trust you and see you as 'experienced' I think a lot of the complaints carpet cleaners get disappear as you get older,

i think its harder for a carpet cleaner in his 20s (than one in his  50s) To make this business work.
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Andrew Briscoe

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2014, 06:26:48 pm »
52 next month, started when I was 26 so spent half my life dragging the wand  :)

Billy Russell

« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2014, 09:17:57 pm »
Nearly 36, used to go out on jobs with my dad when I was 12, mind you if i'd seen him cleaning carpets now, i'd report him!  ;D

Grown up in the cleaning industry, still love it  ;D

Simon Gerrard

Mike Gwilliam

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2014, 05:07:16 pm »
Jaco said,

Thats astonishing, you would put many young men to shame!

derikraven

« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2014, 06:31:55 pm »
Nearly 36, used to go out on jobs with my dad when I was 12, mind you if i'd seen him cleaning carpets now, i'd report him!  ;D

Grown up in the cleaning industry, still love it  ;D

36????  I've got T shirts older than you :D

Chris R

« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2014, 06:57:19 pm »
48 years young, on the wand since 20.

Can you imagine doing anything else?

Working for someone else???

Got it Sussed now!!
Staffordshire

jim mca

« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2014, 02:15:21 pm »
46 bad back duff knees vibration white finger always knackered
Been carpet cleaning since 2010

Well done to the guys who have had serious illnesses and battled through

Jim

Dave_Lee

« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2014, 05:40:20 pm »
Nearer 69 than my present 68 years, still going at the same pace as always during my 35 years in this business. Well maybe not going quite as mad during Christmas rush as I used to, doing evening as well as weekend, but defo a 6 day week.
Crap pension, so got to keep on going, I mean we could exist just on our pension, who wants to just exist, playing hard in what I enjoy is expensive.
Dave.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

tonner0

Re: oldest operator in town New
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2014, 08:45:41 pm »
59 in Feb and became a Grandad last Feb. Have been doing valeting as well as carpet cleaning for 20 years, still am a bit but love the carpet cleaning and meeting different people, its inside too, I've had enough of working in the wind and rain! I want to give up the valeting probably next year so long as I can get enough custy's for carpet cleaning. No health issues to worry about. Health is one thing we all depend on so can I take this opportunity and wish you all a Happy Christmas and a healthy and prosperous New Year. One thing I would recommend though is cod liver tablets. My dog has one a day and so do I ! Cannot believe the difference it has made to her ( she is 15 and runs around like a 5 year old now and always comes to work with me) and I believe has stopped the very first little signs of arthritis in me. Good for the joints.