edward coller

oldest operator in town
« on: November 29, 2014, 04:56:55 pm »
Just for fun guys and gals. Im a youthful 56 mmmm ??? and in my 15th year in the biz. Ive undergone a healthy regime in the last 18 months swimming, running,kettlercise to keep fit and to cope with the physicality of cleaning. Im seeing a shoulder consultant for tendon probs in my left shoulder and recovering from just over 3 months of sciatica, numbeness in my toes loss of strength and hobbling, great Chiropractor, still working cuz I need to Enjoy many aspects of the biz and need to work I guess till im 90! Some days im knackered 2 suites a day is just not fun though monies good.
So whos still working at this on the tools in their 60s/70s? and how do you do it, one job a day and charge premierplus rate? or what else to keep up with father time. cheers edwaqrd

Robin Ray

Re: oldest operator in town
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 05:23:23 pm »
I'm only 34 nearly 35 though :'( and i feel knackered already.

However I have been in business 15 years and was a scaffolder before hand so have probably done a couple of lifetimes of physical work already. Well done for keeping going full out at 56, my Dad still going at 65 and all he does is just eat well and work is his exercise. I would be interested in knowing the secret of getting to 70 without falling to bits myself?

des

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 05:27:24 pm »

Edward I am in my 34 th year
 and i can tell you the way forward is to get some one to help you  .My nephew and i can clean a 4 bed house in 2.5 hrs and then on to the next job .He has one job and then i have the other .Get home and still have time to go and play golf ps Im 61
des at mister clean

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 05:30:52 pm »
I'm 60 in February and have been carpet cleaning for 40 years. Still doing four jobs a day, sometimes seven days a week. Easy peasy. :)

Simon

Glynn

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 05:35:58 pm »
I'm 60 in February and have been carpet cleaning for 40 years. Still doing four jobs a day, sometimes seven days a week. Easy peasy. :)

Simon

4 jobs a day Simon ?, you lazy so & so…..
Regards
Glynn

*Hector*

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 05:44:18 pm »
He doesn't even do them himself... He has minions you know..  :P :P

;D
Everyday this forum slips further from God.  :'(

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2014, 06:06:32 pm »
Well I'm a knackered, decrepit, worn out 51 year-old. :'(

I made myself redundant,  took the money and ran.....and am enjoying every minute of it.

I'm probably the youngest ex-"operator in town".

Rog

PS My golf handicap has improved no end since I gave up carpet cleaning. ;D
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

stuart_clark

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2014, 09:01:23 pm »
Well I am 56 been in the business 24 years, most of the time I feel fine, although  I get cramp in my right hand occasionally probably all that wanding and handtools ! Lol
Although I could retire now, I dont see myself ever completely retiring as I get bored easily, if I haven't kicked the bucket in ten years I may do a couple of days a week to keep my hand in

Stuart

Richard Cole

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2014, 10:05:28 pm »
I'm 47 and started my carpet cleaning business back in 2010 so a relative newcomer and over the last 5 months the business has really taken off and i find i definitely need the weekends to recover.  I use to suffer from bad back's but since taken up c.c i have hardly had a problem, except this week when moving a sofa and i could hardly get out of the van at the end of the day.  Really wanted to take a couple of days off to recover but i had too much booked in so worked on and it actually helped it and it and i recovered within a couple of days.  I find the hardest thing is getting up in the morning as i feel all achy and stiff although 30 mins walking the dog usually sorts it out.
former carpet cleaner, now retired!

Kinver_Clean

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2014, 10:18:51 pm »
I finished in march after nearly 30 years. Only because I lost the enthusiasm and would rather be playing in the shed. I have a woodturning lathe for the wnter and a 1/2 size steam engine for the summer.
73 in a few months.
God must love stupid people---He made so many.

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2014, 12:34:17 am »
I can claim my pensions but  have not  I was struck down with  Cancer a few years back so i just do the jobs i want  and if i want a break I just take one ##

I keep thinking about taking on helper as I find I get snowballed from time to time and then I could be  more consistent

I need to keep my mind active and my body and I like it.

derikraven

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2014, 06:10:10 am »
I started carpet cleaning in1970, I'm 64 in January  :P

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2014, 10:24:16 am »
There's an old boy who lives near me that still cleans the odd carpet he's been cleaning since the 1950's I'm sure he's in his late 70's or 80's but he still gets his hands dirty so to speak, he has as stimvak, I used to pop in for a chat and a cuppa but it never get the time and most of the time he's out at his daughters or girl friends ;D

Shaun

C o z y

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2014, 12:27:11 pm »
Just for fun guys and gals. Im a youthful 56 mmmm ??? and in my 15th year in the biz. Ive undergone a healthy regime in the last 18 months swimming, running,kettlercise to keep fit and to cope with the physicality of cleaning. Im seeing a shoulder consultant for tendon probs in my left shoulder and recovering from just over 3 months of sciatica, numbeness in my toes loss of strength and hobbling, great Chiropractor, still working cuz I need to Enjoy many aspects of the biz and need to work I guess till im 90! Some days im knackered 2 suites a day is just not fun though monies good.
So whos still working at this on the tools in their 60s/70s? and how do you do it, one job a day and charge premierplus rate? or what else to keep up with father time. cheers edwaqrd

I'm still working at 56 lol. I work window cleaning from ladders too!! About 300 housesw/shops a month, plus about 10 hours a week carpets /upholstery work.  8) Love the carpet side of things, but getting rid of ladders in spring, and going waterfed pole on windows.
No still don't understand, I must be thick

JandS

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2014, 02:00:01 pm »
57 this Tuesday but only been cc'ing for 6 years.
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2014, 09:17:16 am »
I,m 64 and get down dirty every day 8) but will semi retire next year me thinx ;D

Hilton

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2014, 12:01:54 pm »
55 and sort of still cleaning, have other business interests,so no longer operate as a carpet cleaner except for fun now and again.

I am new to the world of being a grandad and love every minute of it although in my mind I'm still 21 so the little un' will keep me busy in years to come, I have no intention of ever retiring unless ill health forces it, I will carry on in business for as many years as possible.

Retirement age is a made up number anyway from the old industrialised days and is no longer relevant today.

I'm as fit as fiddle and intend staying that way and my old back problems that plagued me through my carpet cleaning days seem to have gone since I took up weight training a couple of years ago so hopefully it will remain that way for the next thirty years or so. ;D

edward coller

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2014, 04:35:36 pm »
That was very encouraging and I feel all keen again thanks guys and dolls, I need to remember im not down a coalmine and most of my customers are lovly people who make me lots of tea and pay the mortgage, and my daughters wedding on the 13th of Dec, so heres to the next 30 years, God willing!!!!!!! Ed.