craignozza

Dodgy cleaner
« on: July 01, 2013, 09:02:03 pm »
On facebook earlier today a friend asked if anyone knew any carpet cleaners and another mutual friend put forward my name whilst many others recommended this guy https://www.facebook.com/HalesCarpetCleaningServices/photos_stream
He is cheap and has been doing commercials and domestics with a rug doctor and a vax..... doesnt do any spotting either by the looks of it. Worrying thing is everyone seems more than happy to pay peanuts for his services. I was shocked by some of the photos - I wouldnt get away with leaving custies carpets like that and def wouldnt get paid. The before and after of the pub toilets amused me as well....

Stuff like this hasn't really bothered me before but for some reason this has irritated me, wonder how long it will be before Im called to clean up his mess, or not as he has put people off carpet cleaners.

I know everyone has to start somewhere but he is banging on about being a professional when I cant see any evidence of training or knowledge  ::)roll

Paul Moss

Re: Dodgy cleaner
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 11:07:58 pm »
Lol, i love the pic of the dirty water in the sink.

John Kelly

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 11:16:55 pm »
Don't worry about it. He's cheap and he gets all the crap jobs by the looks of it. There are thousands of them out there. Set yourself apart from them and fly.

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 12:17:58 am »
Some of his facebook messages:

"Shoe polish in a carpet ! NO PROBLEM ! That's why we're professionals". <<< wow, where do you start!

"We are the cheapest in the area at the moment. I cleaned some carpets for a client yesterday and beat the cheapest quote by £70 !!!" <<< well done ya donkey!  ;D

Those pub toilet pictures made me sick!! totally disgusting before and after!

He seems to put a lot of effort into his fb marketing though, I'll give him that. And must be very hard graft with the crap equipment he has. But that's why he's professionals!!  :D

Steve Chapman

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 10:08:01 am »
If his customers are happy and he's getting the prices he wants cant really see the problem. Looks like he's doing ok.
You can see the difference in the before and after photos and he's had the sense to post them on facebook, so he's obviously doing something right.

Dont think its fair to post about dodgy carpet cleaners when you dont know anything about them, he's just doing his thing and getting happy customers.

If you're that worried why not phone him and advise him on some decent kit  ;)

Steve

craignozza

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 12:06:50 pm »
Steve I'm not worried just think its a shame that we lose out on business because of people like this who are not trained or insured and are using inferior equipment in which could potentially damage the carpets and in turn give carpet cleaners a bad name . Also I see what you mean about good before and after photos the shoe polish one is a good example  ;D .. Actually a Bit shocked your defending this guy maybe it reminds you of your rug doctor days  ;D ;D

Steve Chapman

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 12:54:43 pm »
Actually I've always secretly wanted a rug doctor  :P

craignozza

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 01:23:33 pm »
 ;D ;D

G O Cleaning

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 01:49:08 pm »
On facebook earlier today a friend asked if anyone knew any carpet cleaners and another mutual friend put forward my name whilst many others recommended this guy https://www.facebook.com/HalesCarpetCleaningServices/photos_stream
He is cheap and has been doing commercials and domestics with a rug doctor and a vax..... doesnt do any spotting either by the looks of it. Worrying thing is everyone seems more than happy to pay peanuts for his services. I was shocked by some of the photos - I wouldnt get away with leaving custies carpets like that and def wouldnt get paid. The before and after of the pub toilets amused me as well....

Stuff like this hasn't really bothered me before but for some reason this has irritated me, wonder how long it will be before Im called to clean up his mess, or not as he has put people off carpet cleaners.

I know everyone has to start somewhere but he is banging on about being a professional when I cant see any evidence of training or knowledge  ::)roll
it's ok just sent MSG to this guy via face book so that he can respond :)

garyhumphreys

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 05:53:58 pm »
Looks right he's running a proper business so "dodgy" is not a word I would use just because he undercuts you and uses inferior kit.
I like you wouldn't want to clean carpets for the prices he charges but its not fair criticism IMO.

craignozza

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 06:18:05 pm »
Moderators please delete this thread ... As apparently it's me who's got it wrong !  ???

CleanXtreme

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 07:12:19 pm »
I understand your concerns regarding this competitor within your market area, however if his customers are happy with the standard of work provided and the results are to the clients satisfaction! I cannot see too much of a problem.
However his photos are a poor example of professionalism and do require better marketing! as they do portray his company as 2nd rate, therefore I do see your point of view.
If he does make mistakes and provides the customer with bad results he will get a bad name and he will soon fade away and disappear.
My advice would be to concentrate on your business and keep doing what your good at try not to worry about other competitors.

Kevin

craignozza

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2013, 08:05:09 pm »
Delete thread

Richard Meads

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2013, 08:32:44 pm »
Hey Craignozza, chill man!  To me using a RugDr and a Vax, and then marketing yourself as a professional is dodgy. and his customers deserve better, but, they are not your customers! Your customers want their carpets cleaned by someone who knows what he is doing, and who has the right equipment. Let the guy carry on working for the price shoppers, while you work for the ones who know what true value is.

I looked at your website, you say that for the price of hiring a machine they could get a professional to do the job, I wonder if you need to put your prices up. Who is the best cleaner in your area? Who is the most expensive?

bennymon

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2013, 09:01:52 pm »
He may struggle for repeat business when his customers wander round B&Q and see great deals to hire that wonderful machine  ;)  ;)  but to be fair he can have them customers I'm not cleaning mingers  for sod all  del

dan paton

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2013, 09:49:05 pm »
Maybe it's me but i find most mingers take roughly the same time as most others

Steve Chapman

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2013, 10:02:19 pm »
When I first started out I used a small numatic machine and gradually upgraded over the years to finally a truckmount, I still do some of the original customers & there perception is I do the same good job as I've always done, except I'm maybe a bit quicker !

The moral is dont presume the customers are being short changed because of kit etc most are blissfully unaware, it's the results that count !

In those early days I would've done whatever it took to get a clean carpet even if I was there all day, i didn't have a lot of experience or decent machine but wouldn't say I was dodgy in any way, just learning & trying my best.

Steve

Richard Meads

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2013, 10:28:54 pm »
Craignozza points out that he is not trained or insured. Surely not having insurance is taking an undue risk with the clients property.

Really though we don't know the guy and he can't speak up for himself on here.

dan paton

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2013, 11:00:09 pm »
Craig how do you know the guy is uninsured?

John Kelly

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2013, 09:20:18 am »
Unfortunately a lot of cleaners aren't insured. They may have public liability but that doesn't cover you for damaging items being worked on.
Even if you have treatment risk read the small print. A lot of insurers will want to see your training certificates before paying out.