Blacky

Does it pay to cut corners for low payers.
« on: October 04, 2012, 07:50:58 pm »
In this failing economy does it pay to offer what cheapo customers wants. Cheap prices only. And that’s it.
As a pose to turning them away, give them a 5-10 min living room for clean using a rotary only. Shove the muck around a bit and make it look presentable. Go around furniture.

Obviously give well paying customers your 5 star treatment.

This way your offering a service to both middle and lower class by not jeopardizing your bottom line.

Paul Moss

Re: Does it pay to cut corners for low payers.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 07:57:12 pm »
 ;D  Blacky we will let Simon answer this one.

Blacky

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 08:01:36 pm »
Hi Paul, why, does Simon employ the same method?

AshWhite

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 08:06:20 pm »
Hi Paul, why, does Simon employ the same method?

;D

Carpet Cleaning http://www.floors2show.co.uk
Google Adwords Management http://www.pagecrest.co.uk

Paul Moss

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 08:07:35 pm »
He thinks not, but we all know he does ;D

Derek_Walker

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 08:15:17 pm »
Rag spinning is a proven system and can be more expensive  ;D

Deep Cleaning Solutions

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 08:18:46 pm »
Sadly in reality is does not work out that because a customer would like it dirt cheap,
they lower their standards, if anything they are more fussy than better quality customers.
When i first started i charged too little on a lot of jobs and was tempted to cut corners,
but could never bring my self to do it, it's easier said than done.
David.
Owner of Deep Cleaning Solutions.
Expert in Web Design & SEO
www.rocketwebsitedesigners.co.uk

*Hector*

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 08:41:52 pm »
not like you to have nowt to say Simon  :-*

;D
Everyday this forum slips further from God.  :'(

Simon Gerrard

Timmy Boy

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 09:20:06 pm »
Up until a few weeks ago I would have said that you have to give your market what they want, if you are in a less affluent area then stack it high an sell it cheap. That was until I have started hearing all about these enterprise scammers and bait and switch etc. I think now there could be a real angle that could be used in the favour of the more professional carpet cleaner. I was thinking of producing a flyer which is angled as more of a public announcement. Along the lines of is cheaper always better. Refer to the recent watchdog episode re enterprise. List the benefits ie fully insured, uniformed and trained operatives, price quoted is the price paid etc etc.
I think inadvertently this could be all of our chance to take back this industry from the dole dodging, karcher using splash n dashers in this country. so what you need to do is wake up tomorrow and say 'this is a new dawn, this is my time!"
Motivational courses available £200 for the day!  ;D

wynne jones

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 09:20:14 pm »
It's not whether you do an unprofessional job it's about £/hr.

Many 'cheap' jobs I do work out £50/hr because I have the kit, the knowhow and they tend not to have white wool carpets and  you can park on their doorstep.
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

Hilton

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 10:35:28 pm »
In this failing economy does it pay to offer what cheapo customers wants. Cheap prices only. And that’s it.
As a pose to turning them away, give them a 5-10 min living room for clean using a rotary only. Shove the muck around a bit and make it look presentable. Go around furniture.

Obviously give well paying customers your 5 star treatment.

This way your offering a service to both middle and lower class by not jeopardizing your bottom line.

Yes definitely but not how you describe.

robert meldrum

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 11:01:38 pm »
Did this years ago anmd got slagged on here for it.  I ran separate adverts for different services using different names.

One was water extraction using twin vac / 500 psi machine and the other was using the Texatherm system which I'd become pretty proficient at.

clinton

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2012, 07:25:07 am »
These type of clients will always be around and if not more so now with the internet.

Some just are a click away from getting a cheaper price ::)

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2012, 07:35:16 am »
You can quite legitimately have three different levels of service and three different prices, Gold, Silver and standard and have the customer choose which one they want to pay for, but how ever you specify those service levels the end result has always got to be a superbly clean carpet otherwise you've no chance of repeats and recommends etc. This is a better alternative than getting a customer who doesn't want to pay your preferred price and so just skim over it as was suggested on another thread.
But why not just do a fantastic job whatever price they are paying, a customer is a customer in these hard times and you never know where having done a great job for someone can lead you.
Apart from that - no comment ;D

neil 47

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2012, 07:55:11 am »
Simon

I hate to say this but you are right,
and actually the difference in time is about 15mins
IICRC

Doug Holloway

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2012, 08:21:34 am »
Hi Guys

It's much simpler and more professional to do the job to the best of your ability.

You wouldn't expect a restauarnt to say you can have it a bit cheaper if we don't cook it properly!

Cheers

Doug

*Hector*

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2012, 08:31:28 am »
You like your restaurants don't you Doug..

Bad analogy there I would expect less courses or smaller portions for less money..
NOT food poisoning on a plate...

Hilton

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2012, 09:17:47 am »
Quite simply we used to do a budget clean, which were the exposed or walk on areas only.

These were treated in the same manner as usual but took less than half the time, very easy money in some instances plus you get called back more frequently.

Worth thinking about again in these days of austerity.

Craigp

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2012, 09:32:12 am »
Somthing needs to be seperated.

If you advertise a low price then you should do a proper job as you set the price, the customer may have been willing to pay more if she would have known she was getting substandard service.

If you price correctly yet you have someone barter and insist on hammering you down on price and you say yes ok i'm here now may as well do it, I think you are justified to think in the back of your mind "ok, but your only getting a quick whip over for that money"

The former could be considered underhand. You could have won the job over a carpet cleaner who was charging more but what the customer never knew was he was going to do the job properly.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2012, 01:19:57 pm »
You may be justified in thinking that, but what is unjustifiable is to go ahead a do just a quick whip over, because people ultimately judge you on quality, even though in the first instance they may have chosen you solely  on price because they don't know how good you are. It is a huge mistake IMO to short change people on quality simply because they weren't willing to pay you what you initially wanted for the job. Part of the reason why people choose cheap is because they've had it done before and weren't that impressed and so conclude there is no point in paying a higher price as all carpet cleaners are the same. Any opportunity you get to show them that isn't true is an opportunity worth taking.

Simon

Craigp

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2012, 01:37:07 pm »
Simon, just to clarify I don't do this as I don't let anyone knock me down to that point, but those who are a bit more 'keen' to get the job may do, and in my view the customer is getting exactly what they paid for.

Fortunately there are many customers out there that understand the less they pay the less thay get, wether thats true in realality does now matter as we have to work with their perceptions, but I do believe thats the case anyway.

Blacky

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2012, 01:42:21 pm »
Hi Guys

It's much simpler and more professional to do the job to the best of your ability.

You wouldn't expect a restauarnt to say you can have it a bit cheaper if we don't cook it properly!

Cheers

Doug

Hi Doug, I disagree. Take the pub chain ‘Crown Calvary’, they charge £3.25 for a mid week calvary. The food tastes like crap and so is the service, but the place is stacked to the rafters with tight asses wanting a cheap dinner.

Quality should never enter the equation when you bid for these type of people, acceptable work results will do. Just give them something quickly grab the cash with a smile and leave.

Craigp

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2012, 01:48:28 pm »
However Blacky that business model does not work in this industry.

I started off charging cheap like most on here and I can tell you from experience you will make more money charging higher prices.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2012, 03:31:26 pm »
Everyone thinks of price shoppers as if they are the lowest form of life, but in reality they are just like orphans, they don't belong to anyone and haven't got nowhere to go. So rather than scoff at them, why not adopt them, even if in the first instance that means giving them a lower price.
You can give people a lower price by other means than simply agreeing to their price. You could give them a lower price by saying you have a whole in your diary on x day at x time (even if you don't)  and if you have it done then, I'll do for x. Or if they move the furniture - anything so that they know they are getting a higher priced job done for a lower figure, but only got it because they had to agree to something to get the deal.

Simon

Paul W Jones

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2012, 06:40:28 pm »
Agree with that, if they want a discount let them help move a few things around or try and make a job of the pre vac but don't compromise on quality.  These are the people who are likely to name and shame!

elliott cleaning

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2012, 08:32:53 pm »
In this failing economy does it pay to offer what cheapo customers wants. Cheap prices only.

If you feel we are in a failing economy then 'cheapo' customers is not what you want.
Despite a shrinking economy there is still a very substantial customer base out there with plenty of money.   You have to pitch your marketing to this sector.  Once you start to cut your pricing to suit what you perceive  your clients want to pay, you are on a downward spiral. Let your competitors have these potential clients. You spend your time attracting those who pay what you want - they are out there - you just need to put the effort into getting at them.
All to easy answering the phone to all and sundry and succumbing to their demands

Jim_77

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2012, 12:15:44 am »
*like* :)

Mike Halliday

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2012, 07:13:53 am »
I've seen 3 new carpet cleaning companies start  within 6 miles of me within the last 5-6 months, all 3 of them are aiming for the budget  end of the market, I think the cheap customers are saturated with carpet cleaners.trying to get their business.

Wealthy customers are a more open market,
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2012, 10:36:02 am »
I don't think most new start-ups aim deliberately for the budget end of the market. I think they look at what their competitors are charging and believe that in order to compete with them they must match or beat their prices. In other words the belief is that carpet cleaning is about price, when in fact it is not - it is about quality.

In my early days (over thirty six years ago when extraction cleaning was nothing more than a fad) that is exactly how we all were, trying to beat each other on price and no-one was making any money and were dogged by shrinkage, dye bleed and complaints. I decided there had to be a better way, so I got the training, bought all new machines and chemicals etc and decided to forget my competitors and offer a far superior professional service based on the Prochem 12 Step process. I stopped quoting over the phone and surveyed every job and even though my prices were higher I got just about every job at MY price. So from being surrounded by competitors I went to having no competitors, from then on if anyone wanted to compete with me they would have to beat the quality I offered and that philosophy still rings true today.
The mistake is to believe that it is all about price, a low price may get you through the door but it is the quality of the job you do once you're in there that decides whether or not you'll ever see that customer again, or whether she will recommend you on to friends and family and without that how the hell can you build a successful business?

Simon

L.Doubtfire - The Blade Runner

« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2012, 07:32:07 pm »
Spot on Simon,nothing really could be further than the truth.
People who have taken on Groupon `attacks`must surely cut
Corners which is a recipe for disaster in my view.
There again,carpets don`t always respond to cleaning irrespective
As to what we do,which is nearly beyond the cleaners control..
……………………………….........................Tell that to the custie :-*

Lewis  Doubtfire
L. Doubtfire
Window Cleaner

*Hector*

« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2012, 09:02:28 pm »
People who have taken on Groupon `attacks`must surely cut
Corners

Sorry Lewis.....

I have to disagree...
I did groupon to the tune of 405 sales... I did not cut corners though... Just worked quick to my own method.... Simon was there for one, and he can actually vouch for that (I hope)

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2012, 07:20:28 am »
Certainly can vouch for Mr & Mrs Hector's Groupon operation, very well oganised, very methodical and not the slightest hint of things being rushed.

Simon

That's a tenner you owe me, Hector ;D

Russ Chadd

« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2012, 11:20:11 am »
I simply will not compromise my standard service in any way at all.if I am too expensive to some customers they have the option to hire someone else.
I do however now offer a cheaper option featuring low moisture, I am upfront and honest with the customer regarding what the service will offer in terms of results.
It's better to offer an alternative method of service which doesn't cut corners at all... It's not trying to be something it's not, it simply offers the customer a cheaper alternative which will improve the appearance of the carpet.
When HWE is offered at a very cheap price I think that's when problems could arise with leaving out essential pars of the cleaning process.

Jim_77

« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2012, 04:41:39 pm »
That's a tenner you owe me, Hector ;D

... or a lounge, h/s/l :D

*Hector*

« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2012, 05:39:25 pm »
have you got my latest leaflet then Jim  :P

;D ;D

steven Banks

« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2012, 05:53:29 pm »
I don't think most new start-ups aim deliberately for the budget end of the market. I think they look at what their competitors are charging and believe that in order to compete with them they must match or beat their prices. In other words the belief is that carpet cleaning is about price, when in fact it is not - it is about quality.

In my early days (over thirty six years ago when extraction cleaning was nothing more than a fad) that is exactly how we all were, trying to beat each other on price and no-one was making any money and were dogged by shrinkage, dye bleed and complaints. I decided there had to be a better way, so I got the training, bought all new machines and chemicals etc and decided to forget my competitors and offer a far superior professional service based on the Prochem 12 Step process. I stopped quoting over the phone and surveyed every job and even though my prices were higher I got just about every job at MY price. So from being surrounded by competitors I went to having no competitors, from then on if anyone wanted to compete with me they would have to beat the quality I offered and that philosophy still rings true today.
The mistake is to believe that it is all about price, a low price may get you through the door but it is the quality of the job you do once you're in there that decides whether or not you'll ever see that customer again, or whether she will recommend you on to friends and family and without that how the hell can you build a successful business?

Simon

Excellent post!

Jim_77

« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2012, 10:54:17 pm »
Yeah and I want a discount, a tenner's a bit pricey for me ;)