Blacky

Does it pay to cut corners for low payers.
« on: October 04, 2012, 07:50:58 pm »
In this failing economy does it pay to offer what cheapo customers wants. Cheap prices only. And that’s it.
As a pose to turning them away, give them a 5-10 min living room for clean using a rotary only. Shove the muck around a bit and make it look presentable. Go around furniture.

Obviously give well paying customers your 5 star treatment.

This way your offering a service to both middle and lower class by not jeopardizing your bottom line.

Paul Moss

Re: Does it pay to cut corners for low payers.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 07:57:12 pm »
 ;D  Blacky we will let Simon answer this one.

Blacky

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 08:01:36 pm »
Hi Paul, why, does Simon employ the same method?

AshWhite

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 08:06:20 pm »
Hi Paul, why, does Simon employ the same method?

;D

Carpet Cleaning http://www.floors2show.co.uk
Google Adwords Management http://www.pagecrest.co.uk

Paul Moss

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 08:07:35 pm »
He thinks not, but we all know he does ;D

Derek_Walker

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 08:15:17 pm »
Rag spinning is a proven system and can be more expensive  ;D

Deep Cleaning Solutions

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 08:18:46 pm »
Sadly in reality is does not work out that because a customer would like it dirt cheap,
they lower their standards, if anything they are more fussy than better quality customers.
When i first started i charged too little on a lot of jobs and was tempted to cut corners,
but could never bring my self to do it, it's easier said than done.
David.
Owner of Deep Cleaning Solutions.
Expert in Web Design & SEO
www.rocketwebsitedesigners.co.uk

*Hector*

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 08:41:52 pm »
not like you to have nowt to say Simon  :-*

;D
Everyday this forum slips further from God.  :'(

Simon Gerrard

Timmy Boy

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 09:20:06 pm »
Up until a few weeks ago I would have said that you have to give your market what they want, if you are in a less affluent area then stack it high an sell it cheap. That was until I have started hearing all about these enterprise scammers and bait and switch etc. I think now there could be a real angle that could be used in the favour of the more professional carpet cleaner. I was thinking of producing a flyer which is angled as more of a public announcement. Along the lines of is cheaper always better. Refer to the recent watchdog episode re enterprise. List the benefits ie fully insured, uniformed and trained operatives, price quoted is the price paid etc etc.
I think inadvertently this could be all of our chance to take back this industry from the dole dodging, karcher using splash n dashers in this country. so what you need to do is wake up tomorrow and say 'this is a new dawn, this is my time!"
Motivational courses available £200 for the day!  ;D

wynne jones

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 09:20:14 pm »
It's not whether you do an unprofessional job it's about £/hr.

Many 'cheap' jobs I do work out £50/hr because I have the kit, the knowhow and they tend not to have white wool carpets and  you can park on their doorstep.
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

Hilton

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 10:35:28 pm »
In this failing economy does it pay to offer what cheapo customers wants. Cheap prices only. And that’s it.
As a pose to turning them away, give them a 5-10 min living room for clean using a rotary only. Shove the muck around a bit and make it look presentable. Go around furniture.

Obviously give well paying customers your 5 star treatment.

This way your offering a service to both middle and lower class by not jeopardizing your bottom line.

Yes definitely but not how you describe.

robert meldrum

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 11:01:38 pm »
Did this years ago anmd got slagged on here for it.  I ran separate adverts for different services using different names.

One was water extraction using twin vac / 500 psi machine and the other was using the Texatherm system which I'd become pretty proficient at.

clinton

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2012, 07:25:07 am »
These type of clients will always be around and if not more so now with the internet.

Some just are a click away from getting a cheaper price ::)

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2012, 07:35:16 am »
You can quite legitimately have three different levels of service and three different prices, Gold, Silver and standard and have the customer choose which one they want to pay for, but how ever you specify those service levels the end result has always got to be a superbly clean carpet otherwise you've no chance of repeats and recommends etc. This is a better alternative than getting a customer who doesn't want to pay your preferred price and so just skim over it as was suggested on another thread.
But why not just do a fantastic job whatever price they are paying, a customer is a customer in these hard times and you never know where having done a great job for someone can lead you.
Apart from that - no comment ;D

neil 47

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2012, 07:55:11 am »
Simon

I hate to say this but you are right,
and actually the difference in time is about 15mins
IICRC

Doug Holloway

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2012, 08:21:34 am »
Hi Guys

It's much simpler and more professional to do the job to the best of your ability.

You wouldn't expect a restauarnt to say you can have it a bit cheaper if we don't cook it properly!

Cheers

Doug

*Hector*

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2012, 08:31:28 am »
You like your restaurants don't you Doug..

Bad analogy there I would expect less courses or smaller portions for less money..
NOT food poisoning on a plate...
Everyday this forum slips further from God.  :'(

Hilton

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2012, 09:17:47 am »
Quite simply we used to do a budget clean, which were the exposed or walk on areas only.

These were treated in the same manner as usual but took less than half the time, very easy money in some instances plus you get called back more frequently.

Worth thinking about again in these days of austerity.