Doug Holloway

Re: extracta/machines
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2011, 05:22:26 pm »
Hi Guys

Mike, Lloyd was Ashcome Distributors, later to become Ascombe International ::)

In many ways he was the original supplier bull merchant!

He started selling Extracta's and then asked Extracta for a copy of the build diagrams, months later the Ashcombe Elite was born , bearing a remarkable similarity to an Extracta ;)

Cheers

Doug

Aquakleen Restoration Services

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2011, 08:17:22 pm »
Extracta machines do have heating elements. I make sure customers already have hot water on. Fill up the machine, turn the heater on and whilst Im doing my prep and vacuuming etc the water heats nicely to about 70 degrees. I always carry an inline heater with me for the odd emergency when hot water is not available.

Ive posted my video many times but here it is again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blixBc2HBqo

Remember this is a grimey pub carpet. There was no prespray used or any pre-aggitation prior to using the Scrubba tool as seen in video. The cleaning was done at 50psi to avoid overwetting the carpet. It always makes me laugh on this forum when people talk about 600psi pumps!

From a personal point of view Extracta are 20 minutes up the road and that comes in very handy! Restormate are 10 minutes walk (literally from my door) and that is even handier when I run out of things!

When you need a new machine, I take it you will be off to restormate as it's on your door?

Obviously, it's not the looks of the machine that cleans the carpet. But the Extracta machines look awful and are far behind the competition. Low psi / low vacuum power looking at the spec's.

Extracta machines last 20 years plus so I don't think Ill be needing a new machine very soon. As my video demonstrates why do you need higher psi pumps when you already get great results? That would only dramatically increase the price per machine for no good reason! If your wanding then probably but not with the scrubba tool. As for low vacuum power...carpets are dry within a few hours so its never been a problem in 7 years of trading. As for the looks of the machine? I disagree with you. My bright orange machine is always catching people's eye and have booked in many an appointment and made ££££ when people see me taking it in and out of my van!!

I can see where your coming from, and respect your opinion. The interesting thing is:

1) Have you tried another make of machine?

2) I've noticed that many C/C started out with an extracta machine many many years ago now as at one time were one of the only manufacturers about. Now it seems that the same people have moved onto a more powerful portable or  powerful truckmount.

Maybe i should try an extracta machine and see how it compares to my speedster. Maybe as you say it could also generate me more revenue from it's bright orange colour scheme.

To the o/p, do your research and pick  a machine that suits your needs. As you can see from the posts this is a varied debate. I would recommend a twin / tripple vac machine with good psi (preferably adjustable) that can cope with a good hose run.

Hi Steve,

I have tried another machine. A Prowler as it happens. Although it was a terrific piece of kit and would recommend one to anyone I found using the wand too much like hard work if I am brutally honest! That wasn't a fault of the Prowler its just wands in general. When I bought the Extracta Excel I got a wand with it but only used it for tight spaces the Scrubba could not reach in to. For me the Scrubba does all the work. I just found it easier than a wand. My personal choice that's all. Maybe Im being a complete a wimp!!!

Ofcourse there are many more powerful machines around. Undoubtedly! Maybe the guys who moved on to bigger and better machines had never tried an Extracta with a Scrubba? Only a wand. If that is the case then I can see why they have moved on. Absolutely!

If I wasn't happy in any way believe me I would move on. If I saw a machine that did a better job with minimal effort then I would consider it. But I have always got great results and a lot of my work is in high rise apartment blocks where it would be impossible to use a truckmount anyway.

Hope that has answered some of your questions.

Glynn

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2011, 08:48:01 pm »
Whens this so called new extracta machine out ?.
Regards
Glynn

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2011, 09:37:19 pm »
Ok, put it this way. Why buy the extracta?? What benefits does it have over the compition? its definiatley not in the same legue power wise. And the looks..... well...... it might not be important to you but I does make a better imprestion imo

The extracta might do the job, but why not spend a bit more and buy better equipment?

Aquakleen Restoration Services

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2011, 10:06:31 pm »
Ok, put it this way. Why buy the extracta?? What benefits does it have over the compition? its definiatley not in the same legue power wise. And the looks..... well...... it might not be important to you but I does make a better imprestion imo

The extracta might do the job, but why not spend a bit more and buy better equipment?

Well you could ask what do the competition have over Extracta? By power your referring to the vac motors? Bigger pump? Plastic shell over the Extracta fibre glass shell? The vac motors are brill in their machines! Not had to change one for getting on 3 years now. And I only ever have the original 7 year old pump set at 50 psi by the way. Any more would just be a waste and overwet the carpet. The fibre glass shell is as tough as they come! When you say 'better equipment' what do you mean by that?

Ian Rochester

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2011, 07:30:56 am »
We still have an extracta machine as a back up and I still like it, especially with the Scrubba Deluxe fitted, on trashed pub carpets it's great.

There are regulary second hand machines coming on the market for for less than £1000.

I was offered one a couple of months ago, with 62 hours on the clock complete with a scrubba deluxe and 3.5" hand tool for £1200.  That's a bargain.

Colin Day

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2011, 08:20:44 am »
The reason I gave up my Extracta Exel and moved over to Alltec was because I wanted more psi and 3 vacs, If Extracta had offered such a machine, I would have stayed with them at that time. My old boss swears by the Exel and Extracta and has done for nearly 30 years, he has a very good business and regular customers that keep him busy throughout the year...

Back to the heat thing, I find it a comfort thing if I'm honest and have been forced to use cold water plenty of times with no problems at all in achieving the desired result... if you decided to go for the Jaguar or a Scorpion, there's no reason why you couldn't have an in-line heater too...

I can't wait to try the New Jag out..... ;)

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2011, 07:54:06 pm »
I have now been informed that the Jaguar motor is 1.5  more powerful than the old style motors . It is also sealed plus a load of other featurse which is why the Jaguar is lighter and you do not need three motors

john martin

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2011, 08:33:27 pm »
I have now been informed that the Jaguar motor is 1.5  more powerful than the old style motors . It is also sealed plus a load of other featurse which is why the Jaguar is lighter and you do not need three motors

Think i'l just keep posting this link every time i hear unsubstantiated claims .. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KKAzll_-NA

Darren O

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2011, 08:35:35 pm »
Is there anything stopping the likes of Cleansmart Ashbys Amtech using these same vac motors

john martin

« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2011, 08:48:35 pm »
Is there anything stopping the likes of Cleansmart Ashbys Amtech using these same vac motors

Nothing ... its already used in this booster ,  8.4 version also available ...

http://www.steam-brite.com/store/kleenrite-vacuum-booster-inch-stage-extra-large-p-8783.html

Darren O

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2011, 09:01:17 pm »
would they still work of 2 power cables, heater, 2 super dooper vacs,500psi pump

john martin

« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2011, 09:10:34 pm »
would they still work of 2 power cables, heater, 2 super dooper vacs,500psi pump

What 8.4 or 6.6 ?
Should be no different from any other machine with two vac / heat / pump
We don't have real electrical issues compared to the states 120v
sometimes we have two portables  /heat / several blowers  plugged into  same house ... no problem

Darren O

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2011, 09:26:23 pm »
makes you laugh after all the hype about the 3 vac portys when now they are telling us 2 vacs are better

Colin Day

« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2011, 09:55:01 pm »
makes you laugh after all the hype about the 3 vac portys when now they are telling us 2 vacs are better

Until you pop 3 of these bad boys in a machine that is!!! :-X

Joe H

« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2011, 10:40:28 am »
Quote from Darren O
"makes you laugh after all the hype about the 3 vac portys when now they are telling us 2 vacs are better"

Darren - did you not read John Kellys reply earlier in this thread?

Probably because the 2 vac motors are very high performance.

These are new vac motors from Ametek, builders of new machines most often use whats on the market. More then likely the claims of performance originate in this case with the manufacturer of the vac motor.

Maybe there is nothing stopping Alltec, Ashbys, Cleansmart using these motors, but Cross America has taken the lead to develop a machine around the motors.
I look forward to hear from those carpet cleaners who have invested in the new Jaguar.

Darren O

« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2011, 11:42:10 am »
Joe i already knew that thats why i asked if they would work of 2 power leads like the older 3 stage vacs when using a heater and 500psi pump

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2011, 04:22:10 pm »
What ever it apears these motors are a step forward, but it is up to the buyer to investigate and compare machines.