johnmeehan

extracta/machines
« on: June 16, 2011, 06:39:16 am »
hi guys wats your take on these machines thinking of buying one replies greatly appreciated thanks john

Joe H

Re: extracta/machines
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 07:22:34 am »
thinking of buying new or second hand?

If new, then there is, in my opinion, better value machines in the market place.
Extracta use big (physically) vac motors 7.5" I think they are.
A few users have had problems with failure of these at too frequent intervals and they are a lot more to replace then the 5.7" motors which are just as effective or maybe better.

If you have the right budget there is a new machine imminent, the Jaguar, from established supplier.
Yhat would be a good buy.
Its release on the market will mean a few 2nd hand machines will be released including the 3 vac Scorpion (there are 1 or 2 going 2nd hand now).

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 07:42:57 am »
Jo

Look I am not having a go but I cannot understand why anyone would want to trade in a Scorpion 3 motors for a JAG. two motors.

John there are other machines are available . I also think you need a machine with some form of heating for best results.

You also need to consider what agigitation system you will use

Ie Brush or mechanical

I will not name other suppliers as they are easy to find.

John Kelly

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 07:59:11 am »
Probably because the 2 vac motors are very high performance.

Joe H

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 08:07:40 am »
Keep your eyes closed too long and you can miss progress, and usually progress is good.

Ametek have developed a new motor of which Ed Valentine has taken advantage of.

and why not?
Cross-America has been ahead of the competition for some time and wants to retain that position and this will be to the advantage of the customer.

Aquakleen Restoration Services

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 09:45:53 am »
Has anyone who has commented (other than John Kelly) used an Extracta setup before?

richy27

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 12:43:16 pm »
In most cases people will always recommend the machine they use. To put bluntly never used an extracta machine. But I would say imo a machine with heat is important when getting stuck into bad jobs. Do you wash your dishes with cold water I think not. 

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 12:52:43 pm »
Extracta machines do have heating elements. I make sure customers already have hot water on. Fill up the machine, turn the heater on and whilst Im doing my prep and vacuuming etc the water heats nicely to about 70 degrees. I always carry an inline heater with me for the odd emergency when hot water is not available.

Ive posted my video many times but here it is again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blixBc2HBqo

Remember this is a grimey pub carpet. There was no prespray used or any pre-aggitation prior to using the Scrubba tool as seen in video. The cleaning was done at 50psi to avoid overwetting the carpet. It always makes me laugh on this forum when people talk about 600psi pumps!

From a personal point of view Extracta are 20 minutes up the road and that comes in very handy! Restormate are 10 minutes walk (literally from my door) and that is even handier when I run out of things!

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 02:47:27 pm »
Do you wash your dishes with cold water I think not. 

Do you rinse your clothes in hot water?????
I think not...

Billy Russell

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 03:16:41 pm »
Does your pre spray stay at the desired heat on the carpet for a period of time like a washing machine does with clothes!!!!!! hhhhmmmmm i think not........

and yes i've used with and without, and i've used a variety of chemicals that tell me i only need a cold rinse!!!!

But i'm afraid Heat is ggggggoooooooooddddddddd!

Don't let anybody tell you different!!!!!!!!!!! aha  ;D

Joe H

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 03:23:41 pm »
How did this thread get into the old discussion of machines with/without heat.?

Doug Holloway

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 04:34:58 pm »
Hi Guys

I had extracta machines for about 10 years, buying my original Cx from Lloyd Owens in 1982.

A few years later they brought out the Excel which was a top machine for it's time

And then their R&D man retired ;) or so it seems because time has stood still for Extracta while others have moved on.

Good solid build, good heater which in my view is a must.

I switched to Altec because of big problems with vac motors going and then onto a Truck Mount which is obvioulsy much more powerful

Cheers

Doug

steven Banks

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 08:30:30 pm »
Extracta machines do have heating elements. I make sure customers already have hot water on. Fill up the machine, turn the heater on and whilst Im doing my prep and vacuuming etc the water heats nicely to about 70 degrees. I always carry an inline heater with me for the odd emergency when hot water is not available.

Ive posted my video many times but here it is again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blixBc2HBqo

Remember this is a grimey pub carpet. There was no prespray used or any pre-aggitation prior to using the Scrubba tool as seen in video. The cleaning was done at 50psi to avoid overwetting the carpet. It always makes me laugh on this forum when people talk about 600psi pumps!

From a personal point of view Extracta are 20 minutes up the road and that comes in very handy! Restormate are 10 minutes walk (literally from my door) and that is even handier when I run out of things!

When you need a new machine, I take it you will be off to restormate as it's on your door?

Obviously, it's not the looks of the machine that cleans the carpet. But the Extracta machines look awful and are far behind the competition. Low psi / low vacuum power looking at the spec's.

Billy Russell

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 08:48:59 pm »
How did this thread get into the old discussion of machines with/without heat.?

Well i haven't seen that debate for a while, so i thought i would revive it to see if theres anything new!!!!!!!!!  ;D

I'm going to start on porty v TM next!!!!!!!  ;D ;D

john martin

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2011, 11:41:14 pm »
The extracta may be outdated in some ways but no doubt has a quality build compared to some of the newcomers , and some design featured just work well  , eg the large lid on the waste tank makes access and cleaning out easy .  Im sure the twin 7.2 machine would stand up to many newcomers also ...
lot of hype about some new machines ...
as some one has mentioned above ... trading a scorpion for jaguar make no sense to me as i believe the three x three stage will out perform the two new motors ...amp draw not a huge issue here ...
From this video it looks like the Jag should has the performance convention machine ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KKAzll_-NA

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2011, 09:41:15 am »

When you need a new machine, I take it you will be off to restormate as it's on your door?

Obviously, it's not the looks of the machine that cleans the carpet. But the Extracta machines look awful and are far behind the competition. Low psi / low vacuum power looking at the spec's.

Extracta machines last 20 years plus so I don't think Ill be needing a new machine very soon. As my video demonstrates why do you need higher psi pumps when you already get great results? That would only dramatically increase the price per machine for no good reason! If your wanding then probably but not with the scrubba tool. As for low vacuum power...carpets are dry within a few hours so its never been a problem in 7 years of trading. As for the looks of the machine? I disagree with you. My bright orange machine is always catching people's eye and have booked in many an appointment and made ££££ when people see me taking it in and out of my van!!

Steve Chapman

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2011, 09:51:44 am »
I know many say the machines are outdated but in what way ?

They are a box with vacs & pump & heater the same as many,

Similar to the scorpion prob not pretty but does the job.

Maybe extracta are the sensible ones by not trying to reinvent the wheel when they have a perfectly decent machine to start with,
They must've done something right to be trading all this time

Regards
Steve

steven Banks

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2011, 11:59:15 am »

Extracta machines last 20 years plus so I don't think Ill be needing a new machine very soon. As my video demonstrates why do you need higher psi pumps when you already get great results? That would only dramatically increase the price per machine for no good reason! If your wanding then probably but not with the scrubba tool. As for low vacuum power...carpets are dry within a few hours so its never been a problem in 7 years of trading. As for the looks of the machine? I disagree with you. My bright orange machine is always catching people's eye and have booked in many an appointment and made ££££ when people see me taking it in and out of my van!!

I can see where your coming from, and respect your opinion. The interesting thing is:

1) Have you tried another make of machine?

2) I've noticed that many C/C started out with an extracta machine many many years ago now as at one time were one of the only manufacturers about. Now it seems that the same people have moved onto a more powerful portable or  powerful truckmount.

Maybe i should try an extracta machine and see how it compares to my speedster. Maybe as you say it could also generate me more revenue from it's bright orange colour scheme.

To the o/p, do your research and pick  a machine that suits your needs. As you can see from the posts this is a varied debate. I would recommend a twin / tripple vac machine with good psi (preferably adjustable) that can cope with a good hose run.

Mike_Roper

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2011, 01:06:22 pm »
Got a extracta from Lloyd Owens ,Thought his company was Ashcombe. Now thats going back abit ! If I recall there machines were white and very similar to Altecs.
Mike