Steve Barnett (Carpet Care Plus)

Sciatica
« on: June 07, 2011, 02:08:30 pm »
After nearly 30 years of fitting and 15 years of cleaning, I've had my fair share of ailments. Particularly, slipped discs and burstitus in my knee.

But nothing compares to the pain I have now with sciatica.

Imagine a slipped disc, torn hamstring, pins and needles in your foot and someone sticking a knife in your butt cheeks - all at the same time 24/7. If I cough, the pain down the back of my leg is so intense it makes me shout out in pain - what a big girl's blouse !  ;D

I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy !

I've just come back from the Osteopath and I have to go again on Friday. She has advised me to take 2 weeks off ! Easy when you say it quickly like that isn't it.

I've postponed all of this weeks work but I've got to work next week or I am going to run out of month to earn any money.

Anyway, that's my whinge for the day - at least I can catch up with entering details into my database.

Gary Humphreys

Re: Sciatica
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 02:29:34 pm »
Chin up chap :)

Colin Day

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 02:42:27 pm »
Hope you're well soon......

Andrew Briscoe

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 03:15:00 pm »
Rub some powerburst into the pain Steve, cures everything  ;D
dont laugh too hard,

seriously, hope you get over it soon, could you not get some help
with your jobs, mabe someone trustworthy local.

Take a break.

Andrew

brianbarber

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 03:34:10 pm »
My partner had this,
It came on within 2 days, started
Ike hamstring pain, then got worse,
She didn't work for one year,
Best advice, go docs, get a scan, she actually had two discs that had moved, which gave her the sciattica symptoms.

Get sone strong pain killers from doc, and muscle relaxants,
These will help.
Hospital advised againt osteopath.they said they can make it worse.
Suggest go casualty, lay it on, and you may get scanned as emergency, plus get medication all in one go!

Wish you better

Mr B
If in doubt.....Leave it out !!

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 03:49:24 pm »
Steve, I know exactly how it feels.
As much as the doctor may say total rest it's never as simple as that when you're self employed and doing a physical job.
The most painful position I used to find was driving, used to make me get to jobs damned quick just to get out of the driving seat ;D (yes officer I know I was speeding but.......)

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 04:02:26 pm »
Steve,

Sounds painfull, hope you get better soon.

Simon

clinton

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 04:54:07 pm »
Hi Steve my uncle has it and is in reall pain sometimes so know were your coming from.

Il prob get this with all the weights i do at the gym ..

Steve Gunn

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 04:56:31 pm »
I sometimes get pain down my hamstring when I go to the Osteopath she massages the top of my feet then my thigh finished off with a but turmeric on the tongue,continue with turmeric for up to 5 days then hey presto problem solved.Hope you put yourself right soon but I would go to the docs too

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 04:58:06 pm »
Clinton - 10 years of weight training hasn't helped either.

I've been seeing the same osteopath on and off for 12 years, but the disc that is compressing the sciatic nerve is too inflamed to move, so fingers crossed for Friday's appointment.

Been to the quacks to day and I've got so many pain killers and anti-inflammatory's I will rattle when I walk !

garybristow

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 05:04:56 pm »
Steve do yourself a favour,have you ever been to a chiropractic? they will x ray before treating.do you actually know what the cause of the problem is? its obviously a mechanical problem in your lower back ,if it is a slipped disc your osto is probably right to tell you not to work,if its a slipped disc or bulging disc you simply cannot work,i urge you to get a second opinion it could save you a fortune in the long run.
I used to swear by a chiro i used for years i thought he was brilliant until i went to a more local guy,he did things differently but much more effectivly,he sorted me out ,i also now go every 6 weeks to maintain it and so far it has worked
other than that get on with it you tart ;D ;D
GaryBristowclean

Paul W Jones

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 05:14:37 pm »
Steve I know what you're going through mate as I've had it now for about six weeks!  When it started I could hardly move and had to rely on co codamol but it does get better!  I've now had physio and one acupuncture session with another at 8.30 in the morning.  They reckon that six weeks should normally do it but obviously it can go on longer for some.  Funnily enough my physio asked me last week if I was back at work!  Wish I could have taken some time off! 

Doug Holloway

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 05:24:52 pm »
Hi Steve

I'm sorry to hear of your pain and hope it gets easier soon.

Our backs are so important and every CC dreads problems.

Good luck and I concur with getting the best opinions possible.

Cheers

Doug

derek west

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 05:33:30 pm »
hows this for strange then, i can clean carpets all day long, and without a glide as well, and my back is fine, yet 30 mins in the driving seat and the pain when i get out the van is excruciating. takes me a good 5 mins to get rid of the pain and straightening up is when it hurts most.

weird.

anyway, good luck steve. hope you get it sorted.

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 05:52:10 pm »
I first damaged my back about 15 years ago, lifting a huge roll of carpet.

Since then it pops every 18 months or so - half hour at the osteopath, £35, a day off work and I'm right as rain until the next time. This sciatica is different, it's a nerve problem, it's being compressed by an inflamed disc.

Trouble is, once you get a weakness in your back, you've got it for life.

I'm 50 next year and the worrying thing is, there will be a price to pay in later life for all this manual labour.

Steve. Taylor

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2011, 06:01:09 pm »
Steve not good but look on the bright side, now if you were a horse :o :'(

best wishes mate
Steve T       All the gear but no idea!
www.leatherrepairsouthampton.co.uk

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2011, 06:05:35 pm »
Steve not good but look on the bright side, now if you were a horse :o :'(

best wishes mate

I would have been put out to stud years ago Steve  ;)

Mike Halliday

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2011, 06:09:09 pm »
WARNING: LONG, BORING, WINGING POST!!!!

I have had a 'bad back' for 12years, basically what nearly everyone has when they say ' bad back' .....

is a medical condition affecting the spine, in which a tear in the outer, fibrous ring (annulus fibrosus) of an intervertebral disc (discus intervertebralis) allows the soft, central portion (nucleus pulposus) to bulge out

that was cut & pasted from wicki to save me typing, so this bulge is poking out and pressing on a nerve which is causing the pain.

I have watched every video on youtube, i have spent evenings sat in front of the tv doing stretching or 'core stability excercises'     I've visited every complementary health practitioner there is, inc:

osteopath
chiropractic
check practitioner
yoga
pilates
sport masseuse
acupuncture

all of them said they were the answer and they all told me  a similar story..... one of their 80yr patients who came to them unable to walk..... but now they are in the 2012 GB gymnastics team!!!

and then when it does'nt work its was my fault for not commiting to the treatment or missing appiontment, it was never becuase they were a bunch of robbing quacks.

the one person who made the most sense was the sports masseuse who told me the bulge doesn't go back into place, minute pieces slowly break away and are absorbed into the body, what breaks the little pieces are movement, it you rest it does'nt happen. you need to move.

another thing that is worth concidering is how your mind and body react to the problem, I had a really bad time once, i found it hard to move until our lass was screaming in the garden I went from an invalid to Linford Christie in half a second another time the alarm went of in the morning on full volume, I was out of bed in a shot........ both times no pain at all. but try and wipe my arse after a crap and i was screaming for help. I think if you are expecting the pain your body tensing up to prepare for it and that can make the problem worse

so the only advice i can give is keep moving.

Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

JandS

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2011, 06:20:50 pm »
A friend of mine is an ex pro rugby league player
and he said any problems and they swore by the
chiropractor.
Try one.

John

Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2011, 06:29:25 pm »
after an xray & MRI scan I saw the spinal consultant who spends his life working & operating on backs, he told me to keep well away from chiros....

another thing about backs, there is a massive amount of contradictory advice, one person will swear by a particular treatment another will say they tried it and it was useless
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2011, 06:30:28 pm »
My limited experience of chiropractors is that they are robbing quacks !

We could learn a lot from their marketing techniques.

My osteopath usually sorts me out in one half hour session, it's not her fault that I then spend the next 18 - 24 months lugging carpets up stairs and porties in and out of vans.

Chiropractors want you to sign up for 6 - 10 sessions and never solve the immediate problem.

Again, this is only my experience.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2011, 06:52:46 pm »
I have simular problems Steve, I have to weigh up purchases of machinery based on weight sometimes so the TM is an ideal scenario, after years of keep fit like you from weights to running it takes it out on your shock absorbers, I've used  chiro's, otheo's, accupuncture, hypnotherapy, thing I can recommend is a vibration plate, it won't cure you but 10 mins in a morning before work 'prepares' your joints like a good warm up.

A friend of mine swears by Yoga, feel for you and ffs don't take a hot bath!

Shaun

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2011, 07:34:33 pm »
so the only advice i can give is keep moving.

I'm one of the worst for sitting around doing nothing, even on a Caribbean holiday I spent more time wind surfing, diving, playing beach football than lazing around, so when my bad problem kicked in I just kept moving around. Perhaps that's what helped.
Like I said earlier and Derek touched on, sitting in the van was worse than actually doing the job.

chrisjohn

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2011, 07:37:40 pm »
Steve

Go and see your GP,get a sick note for the two weeks you are off.Contact benefits agency,and they will go through a claim with you.Takes about half an hour.It not alot of money,but you've paid your taxes mate.Its what ure owed.Its about £70 a week.

Chris

The Great One

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2011, 08:28:52 pm »
I first damaged my back about 15 years ago, lifting a huge roll of carpet.

Since then it pops every 18 months or so - half hour at the osteopath, £35, a day off work and I'm right as rain until the next time. This sciatica is different, it's a nerve problem, it's being compressed by an inflamed disc.

I'm 50 next year and the worrying thing is, there will be a price to pay in later life for all this manual labour.

Hi Steve

Sorry got to totally disagree with you here, a bad back doesn't mean you are in pain for life, I have made a 100% recovery from a prolapsed L5 disc in march of 1999.

I was paralysed down my right side from the top of the pelvis down, spent 6 weeks on my back, ate my food off the floor like an animal and after 6 weeks i looked like the wild man of borneo!

After 6 weeks i was walking around like a 90 year old Neanderthal, had 15 Physio sessions, useless, my back was really sore and I couldn't even touch it with 1 finger. While travelling on the train to London I read about Ginger (500mg caps) it is a powerful anti inflammatory, took some everyday, 1 week later it was like a miricle, no infalmmation, it then took 1 year of sports massage therapy to get me pain free and swimming.

over the years there has been bouts of pain and setback but for the last 5-6 years I have had no pain whatsoever, no painkillers or treatment and the cure for this was deadlifting in the gym, slowly at first but now I can deadlift 120kg with no pain, it has really strengthened my back, I can also run 6 miles in 6.50 a mile.

So a bad back doesn't mean a life sentence, you need the right treatment.

Also your sciatica might not be from the discs at all, your Piriformis muscle (located in your bum) can put pressure on the nerve and give exactly the same symptoms. the piriformis is located  about 4 inches in from your hip on both sides where the cheeks dip in, push there and see if it hurts, if so go get it massaged and see if that helps.

Good luck

Martin 8)

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2011, 08:45:09 pm »
Hi Martin

What you went through puts my current predicament to shame !

Perhaps I didn't explain myself too well when I said you have a weakness for life.

My normal problem is that L2 and L3 displace, one session to pop them back in and I'm fully fit and strong as an ox - until it happens again. This can be anything between 1 and 2 years, in between I have no pain whatsoever.

The daft thing is, when I cause the damage say by lifting something awkwardly I feel no pain - it's usually a day later when I bend down to pick up the newspaper that my back goes.

wynne jones

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2011, 09:16:20 pm »
Martin mentions something that I have first hand experience of and may help you too Steve. I had sciatica and also severe knee pain and couldn't work at all. I went to GP and got all the brufen/rest fob off they usually give you and did a bit of surfing on the web whilst laid up.

I tried a few 'alternative' approaches to no avail, but then I read about trigger point therapy. I thought I had nothing to lose and had a dig around and like a total miracle I found this tender spot on my backside LOL I jumped through the roof but when I stood up the knee pain and the sciatica was gone. It was a muscle knotted up and therefore shorter that was irritating the sciatic nerve and causing pain at the insertion point at the knee!

Try sitting on a tennis ball and find any tender spots.

Give it a try you have nothing to loose.

Also look at other things you do, it all adds up and compounds the effect. Do you slouch, how do you sit, drive etc.
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

derek west

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2011, 09:18:38 pm »
Hi Martin

Perhaps I didn't explain myself too well when I said you have a weakness for life.

My normal problem is that L2 and L3 displace, one session to pop them back in and I'm fully fit and strong as an ox - until it happens again. This can be anything between 1 and 2 years, in between I have no pain whatsoever.

The daft thing is, when I cause the damage say by lifting something awkwardly I feel no pain - it's usually a day later when I bend down to pick up the newspaper that my back goes.

i get that steve all though since carpet cleaning it hasn't happened, touch wood.

i remember loading a transit full of boxes from top to bottom, no problem, then went back to the van to find something, had to stoop to see towards the back of the van and twang. serious pain, so bad that its near impossible to breath in and out.
but like i said, its not happened since i started carpet cleaning, so i must be getting fitter in my old age. ish.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2011, 09:46:52 pm »
People think carpet cleaning is a brainless job sometimes actually a SE cleaner is active in body and mind forever looking for new customers and adding new machinery and techniques which keeps you fit.

Shaun

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2011, 10:05:03 pm »
Well I'll add by ha'peth of medical quack info/sob story.

As some of you know I still have part of a tumour growing inside my spinal canal. Many of the nerves to my lower body are still growing through the centre of the tumour. So apart from ongoing mild sciatica which I control with pain killers I'm thankful that I can still move at all.

I think the reason why it can be worse sitting down is that you can easily lose your lordosis. Essentially this is the natural concave your spine should have when standing but all too easily lose when you sit down as you tend to slump with your lower back now being more convex. In a convex position the discs put more strain/pressure on the nerve.

Hope you feel better soon, Steve.

Rog
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2011, 11:32:49 pm »
Hope the back gets better soon and for ever Steve.

Back pain along with tooth pain are two of the worse.

Tony

The Great One

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2011, 11:40:34 pm »
Hi Martin

Hi

Weaknes for life? Never!  ;)

It was a life changing injury (had a chest infection half way through it, coughing fits that had tears rolling down my cheeks)

I was fully employed when it happened and they ended up taking £836 off me even though they promised to pay me in full (management discretion)

So after hurting Physically & mentally, they were also hurting me finacially.

That set me on the course to self employment as the only person who was going to take care of me was me. So I started looking at self employment and have been since 2000.

Also when you get 'manipulated' this actually causes mico tears in your supporting muscles and your supporting muscles are actually in trauma supporting the injury, that trauma has to come out and the deep tissue massage will sort that out for you, a sports massage therapist will get in as deep as you can stand and will be able to see if indeed the piriformis is putting pressure on the nerve, shoud be tender if you push your thumb into your ass cheeks.

Another way to check is to stretch the area:

Lay on the floor on your back, 1 leg out straight, one leg up with foot on the floor. Put the leg that is up over the straight leg and put the foot back on the floor next to the knee on the other side of it, slowly lower the bent knee to the floor, your body will slowly twist over to the side and that will stretch out your piriformis, you will certainly be able to feel it!

Do that slowly for both sides, one side may be tighter than the other, so if the left leg is bent you lower to the right side, until you can touch the floor or as close as you can get without over stretching.

It's an easy stretch to do and will tell you straight away if indeed that area is tight, you wil also stretch the hip and lower back area but nice and slow though.

Martin 8)

Hilton

« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2011, 09:28:07 am »
I agree definitely light weight training building up slowly but nothing too heavy.

I have had similar problems for years until I started this and strengthened the lower back muscles among others, now its very occasional and only light which I can deal with.

That feeling of not being able to get out of bed in the morning, cant turn one way or another we can all recognise although not as bad as some it would take at least 14 days to ease off and through that some how you had to work, just walking was a killer with your body lob sided so causing other problems.

Now if I feel that dreaded twinge, I know at least I can function until it slowly eases.

By the way has anyone read Dr Ali's back book  http://www.drmalishop.com/index.php?cPath=65&main_page=product_info&products_id=330  ....... if you havent get one its a real eye opener.

« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2011, 05:52:59 pm »
Spot on that Martin.  I suffer with mild sciatica and go to a physio.  She really works the piriformis and I also do that stretch you mention.

I only get it when I get in a few miles on my bike.  Almost feels like a hamstring pull.

Hope it sorts out soon Steve.

Darren

Small but perfectley formed

« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2011, 07:08:44 am »
I suffer from this on the occasion ,
this is what i do have a bath the hottest you can stand lay in this for 10 mins to allow muscle to warm then do strecting like a sit up eventually this releases the trapped nerve .
Repeat every day
Spit and polish

clinton

« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2011, 09:20:40 am »
Sounds like its more common than we all think this condition.

A good ideas and seems dif things work for dif people. :)

fitz2kleen

« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2011, 01:11:31 pm »
After nearly 30 years of fitting and 15 years of cleaning, I've had my fair share of ailments. Particularly, slipped discs and burstitus in my knee.

But nothing compares to the pain I have now with sciatica.

Imagine a slipped disc, torn hamstring, pins and needles in your foot and someone sticking a knife in your butt cheeks - all at the same time 24/7. If I cough, the pain down the back of my leg is so intense it makes me shout out in pain - what a big girl's blouse !  ;D

I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy !

I've just come back from the Osteopath and I have to go again on Friday. She has advised me to take 2 weeks off ! Easy when you say it quickly like that isn't it.

I've postponed all of this weeks work but I've got to work next week or I am going to run out of month to earn any money.

Anyway, that's my whinge for the day - at least I can catch up with entering details into my database.

you have my sympathy Steve, I suffered with sciatica many moons ago when i was carrying my daughter.
Have you tried using a tens machine?
I have a crumbling joint in my spine and while it doesnt cure it does make life more bearable.

Trena

ps thought id better sign this one in case any of you had an image of Marc walking round pregnant  ;D

fitz2kleen

« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2011, 01:18:15 pm »

Have to agree with that Steve, mines from years of nursing when we DID lift patients in n out of bed day in day out.
These days they wont even help you to get comfy in bed after surgery without spouting about manual handling and running for a hoist.
Theres a lot to be said for it.

Trena

brian willis

« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2011, 08:12:28 pm »
had the same in feb very busy for me went to osteopath waste of money in the end went to see a physio she sorted me in the end lasted 12 weeks though well worth the money sound now.