swindon

shiny lead
« on: March 06, 2007, 12:20:12 pm »
hi guys, a customer of mine has just had her windows leaded and she has asked me to shine up the lead when i go round next. has anyone else had to do this and how much extra should i charge? also is it a soapy water job or is there a better product to use? :)

cybersye

Re: shiny lead
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 01:12:37 pm »
I've never been asked to do that, would'nt the lead dull quite quick anyway?
I'm guessing some very fine wire wool.
When I clean leaded glass I use a spray bottle with some soapy water in to mist them, wipe them over with a micro fibre then buff with a dry scrim. As to how much to charge for cleaning the lead I would'nt have a clue. Work out how long it may take you to do one window and x by how many theyre are. Charge the hourly rate you are happy with earning.
Simon

trevor perry

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 01:35:42 pm »
it is a natural chemical reaction for the lead to go dull and it will happen in a matter of a couple of weeks, try explaining to the customer that she would be wasting her money , if she still wants it doing then an abrasive pad will do it but be extremely carefull not to scratch the glass, it will also be a bit time consuming
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt

Llaaww

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 05:24:09 pm »
if you can get the lead to shine in the first place(rather you than me) you could use some some lacquer, to keep the shine for a bit longer. Believe it or not you could use hair spray. make sure the window is dry first.

If she is that keen she is probably willing to pay for it ;)
if it is dirty it is fair game

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 05:46:12 pm »
hi guys, a customer of mine has just had her windows leaded and she has asked me to shine up the lead when i go round next. has anyone else had to do this and how much extra should i charge? also is it a soapy water job or is there a better product to use? :)

Methinks somebody's taking the P ;D ;D ;D

WavieDavie

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 06:07:25 pm »
If they've just been leaded, it'll be the sticky-backed lead strip. Tell her she should have got the shiny stuff fitted  ;)
You're a Scottish window-cleaner? Licensed or not, get yourself along to www.slwcn.org right now !

Davie Park
Dalzell Window Cleaning Service - Edinburgh www.windowscleaner.co.uk